UCA - NHSCC cheer - February 2018

NicoleK1974

Mouseketeer
hello!!
I have looked through many of the related threads, but still looking for more information.

I plan my Disney trips on a spreadsheet, every 30 minutes accounted for, AT LEAST a year in advance.

I am on the phone/computer 15 minutes prior to dining and fastpass windows opening.

My planning is an obsession.

Well, my daughter had joined a competitive cheer team that will likely be attending the UCA/NHSCC comp in February.

Any tips as to what to do about dining, fast passes, resorts?

We can not sign up for a package through Varsity until (what I have been told) we earn a bid (end of October at the earliest, so that puts us out of 180 day dining reservations for certain.
Then I was told that we don't get tickets to link until 10-14 days before thr competition...which puts us out of early fast pass reservations.

Also, I probably sound spoiled, but I am a Poly girl, and our only choices through Varsity (and we MUST buy out package through them) are the All Star resorts and Carribean Beach.

We won't be spending a ton of time at the resort, but I was wondering if CBR has any "inside door" rooms (doors not going directly outdoors.

Anyone who had done cheer comps pr last minute trips that could offer any advice to an OCD Disney planner like me, would be SUPER appreciated!

hello!!
I have looked through many of the related threads, but still looking for more information.

I plan my Disney trips on a spreadsheet, every 30 minutes accounted for, AT LEAST a year in advance.

I am on the phone/computer 15 minutes prior to dining and fastpass windows opening.

Well, my daughter had joined a competitive cheer team that will likely be attending the UCA/NHSCC comp in February.

We can not sign up for a package through Varsity until (what I have been told) we earn a bid (end of October at the earliest, so that puts us out of 180 day dining reservations for certain.
Then I was told that we don't get tickets to link until 10-14 days before thr competition...which puts us out of early fast pass reservations.

Also, I probably sound spoiled, but I am a Poly girl, and our only choices through Varsity (and we MUST buy out package through them) are the All Star resorts and Carribean Beach.

We won't be spending a ton of time at the resort, but I was wondering if CBR has any "inside door" rooms (doors not going directly outdoors.

Anyone who had done cheer comps pr last minute trips that could offer any advice to an OCD Disney planner like me, would be SUPER appreciated!

What are the dates are that competition in Feb?

hello!!

Your post confuses me. The dates you posted are indeed for the High School UCA NHSCC where high school teams compete. You said your daughter joined a competitive team which I translate to "All Star Cheerleading." The All Star UCA competition is March 10-11.

From your other posts you mention your daughter was 8. Unless you have another daughter, I assume your daughter is on an All Star team, not a high school team (9-12th grade).

My daughter will be attending both as she is in her high school Varsity team and All Star team and we are booked at Shades of Green for both.

Both our high school team and All Star team we are there to compete not go to the parks. Like someone else said, treat it as a cheer comp with a little Disney the side. I wouldn't be making any park or ADR plans since the coaches will dictate our schedule and availability.

High School UCA

https://uca.varsity.com/Competitions/National-HS-Cheerleading-Championship

All Star UCA

https://uca.varsity.com/Competitions/All-Star-Championship

Last edited:
Your post confuses me. The dates you posted are indeed for the High School UCA NHSCC where high school teams compete. You said your daughter joined a competitive team which I translate to "All Star Cheerleading." The All Star UCA competition is March 10-11.

From your other posts you mention your daughter was 8. Unless you have another daughter, I assume your daughter is on an All Star team, not a high school team (9-12th grade).

My daughter will be attending both as she is in her high school Varsity team and All Star team and we are booked at Shades of Green for both.

Both our high school team and All Star team we are there to compete not go to the parks. Like someone else said, treat it as a cheer comp with a little Disney the side. I wouldn't be making any park or ADR plans since the coaches will dictate our schedule and availability.

High School UCA

All Star UCA

She is on a Club team, which was newly added last year, and many of the middle school team in our area are going as well.

We were told we had to use the Varsity package (hotel and ticket package), even though we are a miltary eligible family as well and it would save is a ton using Military Salute tickets and the 40% off for a deluxe resort) so we will only have the 2 options.

We were told we will practice about 2 hours one day, and compete the next but would have lots of down time to do what we wanted, therefore I was trying to maximize time by setting up what I could, and plan for the 2 1/2 days we will be there that we would for certain not be competing.

I was able to book dining and will just cancel should we have a competition time conflict, and now we just wait on fast passes, hoping to get the varsity package finalized and linked before they come up for us to reserve.

She is on a Club team, which was newly added last year, and many of the middle school team in our area are going as well.

We were told we had to use the Varsity package (hotel and ticket package), even though we are a miltary eligible family as well and it would save is a ton using Military Salute tickets and the 40% off for a deluxe resort) so we will only have the 2 options.

We were told we will practice about 2 hours one day, and compete the next but would have lots of down time to do what we wanted, therefore I was trying to maximize time by setting up what I could, and plan for the 2 1/2 days we will be there that we would for certain not be competing.

I was able to book dining and will just cancel should we have a competition time conflict, and now we just wait on fast passes, hoping to get the varsity package finalized and linked before they come up for us to reserve.

Have fun

Last edited:

Boy does this take me back! I did UDA nationals which is the week before for 6 years. We had very little down time and when we did I was a teenager and wanted to be with my friends haha. I would just caution you to not get your hopes up..this will be a veryyyy different Disney trip. Maybe pick one must do thing or meal with your daughter. Anything else would be a bonus. I probably wouldn't bother with dining reservations.

I can only share what I know about UDA, which is the weekend before. Caribbean Beach will not be offered in 2018 bc of the extensive renovations. All-Star will be the only option offered as part of the package. Also, just a heads up about the weekend of UCA, it is also the start of Mardi Gras travel.

They way it works for us is we get their laynard with tickets the night before the competition OR the morning of competition once we are in Orlando. If the team does a team dinner in Orlando the night before we get the move then, otherwise it is at meet time the day of. The coaches have to go to the designated pick up location which opens a day or two before the event. They do not drive from Tampa to Orlando just to get the lanyards/tickets. They pick them up when they arrive for the weekend. Our coaches also prohibit athletes from going into parks or even swimming at hotel pools until after awards. We have very little down time as each team is asked to support (watch/cheer on) other teams from our gym and we have a lot of teams.

We won a bid to D2 Summit last May. We didn't get our tickets until we got there the day before our competition. We stayed at Disney Springs Best Western, but bought the ticket package through Varsity. All on site values were booked. Our team had decided not to do the resort package so we all got different locations to stay. Some rented houses. We didn't find out about our bid until 3 to 4 weeks before D2 Summit. When they gave us our tickets, I sat on the ground and added them to my MDE account and booked fast passes right then. I had several schedules depending on how our girls preformed. We only made dining reservations for the times we knew we wouldn't be with the team. All other dining was quick service. It ended up being a very DISNEY trip, but more laid back than we normally do. We got to do everything we wanted and ride everything we wanted. We had just been there for Christmas, but enjoyed it very much. Our next family vacation isn't going to be until Star Wars opens, so I am hoping for a bid for this MAY and have already booked POP (Room Only) just in case. Buying the tickets through Varsity is much cheaper than the DISNEY package, we just don't get advance fast passes and that may be hard with the new Pandora rides. Good Luck and have fun!!!

hello!!

How did you make out for the UCA Nationals? I was there too. My 3rd year. My daughters have been doing it, and one just got into high school, so even though it is the National High School Cheerleading Competition it is not all high school, nor is it All-Star. I too am like you with Disney planning. My first year I was so sad, unable to make fast pass reservations, and I also didn't plan dining because we didn't have a schedule for our girls.
As someone said, treat it as a cheerleading trip, not a Disney trip. My girls practice 2-4 times a day, sometimes more, so they usually eat with their teams and hang with their teams. They only have one day of free time and it is only about 4 hours they are free on Friday before they compete. They are not allowed to go swimming, and they have bed check. But none of this pertains to me. So I have done a few dinners the last two years, not as many as I would like. Where we come from, there are a lot of schools that go, so we go and cheer on other teams from our area, so I never know who is going on which day and at what time. I usually stay at the Deluxe Resorts also, through DVC, but have to stay in the All-Star for this. Had the parking area getting repaved right next to my room, I was nauseous all week and found a flying roach (palmetto) in our room in addition to other creatures. We go down on Wednesday so that day is free for all of us, but we usually don't get our park passes until the coaches arrive Wednesday night. So at that point we can book fast passes and there are hardly any left at that point. Just treat it as a cheer trip and you will be fine, thats what I have to do now. Hope this helps for next year.

How did you make out for the UCA Nationals? I was there too. My 3rd year. My daughters have been doing it, and one just got into high school, so even though it is the National High School Cheerleading Competition it is not all high school, nor is it All-Star. I too am like you with Disney planning. My first year I was so sad, unable to make fast pass reservations, and I also didn't plan dining because we didn't have a schedule for our girls.
As someone said, treat it as a cheerleading trip, not a Disney trip. My girls practice 2-4 times a day, sometimes more, so they usually eat with their teams and hang with their teams. They only have one day of free time and it is only about 4 hours they are free on Friday before they compete. They are not allowed to go swimming, and they have bed check. But none of this pertains to me. So I have done a few dinners the last two years, not as many as I would like. Where we come from, there are a lot of schools that go, so we go and cheer on other teams from our area, so I never know who is going on which day and at what time. I usually stay at the Deluxe Resorts also, through DVC, but have to stay in the All-Star for this. Had the parking area getting repaved right next to my room, I was nauseous all week and found a flying roach (palmetto) in our room in addition to other creatures. We go down on Wednesday so that day is free for all of us, but we usually don't get our park passes until the coaches arrive Wednesday night. So at that point we can book fast passes and there are hardly any left at that point. Just treat it as a cheer trip and you will be fine, thats what I have to do now. Hope this helps for next year.

Are the package discounts worth waiting on the tickets?

High School UCA

All Star UCA

Do you book your hotel and tickets for the rest of your family ahead of time or just get the package?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter