Uh...Soarin'....50 feet in the air??!!

Tiggerlover91

DIS Veteran
Oh boy....I think I'm rethinking this one now. :eek: My fear of heights is pretty bad. There used to be this bridge I absolutely panicked everytime I drove across it. Over the years it's gotten much easier. On an older post, someone said the different heights for Soarin were something like 50 in the top...I believe 30 in the middle and 15 on the bottom row. Some of the "up close and personal" projections kinda made me dodge and close my eyes from here at my computer desk. :faint: Not sure how I'm going to do with that where I don't have the stability that I do now in a none moving chair. It was said to ask for the bottom row and to sit somewhere in the middle. If I'm scared, my son will be too. In times like that, he feeds off my emotions. Our friends won't be with us that day, so he won't have someone else to pull his focus, so I have to be the "adult" one and reign in my emotions. :rotfl2: You guys have NO idea how much that amused me to type thinking about me on Soarin'....panicked and nervous and wanting the ride to hurry up and end. :lmao:He'd be okay if I changed my mind about it. So long as he rides Test Track and Spaceship Earth (one of the dark rides he enjoyed during his nothing dark please years) he's good! :goodvibes Oh and Figment too. He's got this thing about purple dragons. I guess since my husband owns a stuffed one...that might be it! :rotfl:

So let me hear from the amazing DISers. I know in the end, I am the ONLY one who can determine what I can handle. If our friends were meeting us that day, I think it would be easier because I'd have them to "talk me through it". I could ask them to join us, but the husband would have to take an extra day off work and I don't want him to that just because I'm a big ole baby! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Oh boy....I think I'm rethinking this one now. :eek: My fear of heights is pretty bad. There used to be this bridge I absolutely panicked everytime I drove across it. Over the years it's gotten much easier. On an older post, someone said the different heights for Soarin were something like 50 in the top...I believe 30 in the middle and 15 on the bottom row. Some of the "up close and personal" projections kinda made me dodge and close my eyes from here at my computer desk. :faint: Not sure how I'm going to do with that where I don't have the stability that I do now in a none moving chair. It was said to ask for the bottom row and to sit somewhere in the middle. If I'm scared, my son will be too. In times like that, he feeds off my emotions. Our friends won't be with us that day, so he won't have someone else to pull his focus, so I have to be the "adult" one and reign in my emotions. :rotfl2: You guys have NO idea how much that amused me to type thinking about me on Soarin'....panicked and nervous and wanting the ride to hurry up and end. :lmao:He'd be okay if I changed my mind about it. So long as he rides Test Track and Spaceship Earth (one of the dark rides he enjoyed during his nothing dark please years) he's good! :goodvibes Oh and Figment too. He's got this thing about purple dragons. I guess since my husband owns a stuffed one...that might be it! :rotfl:

So let me hear from the amazing DISers. I know in the end, I am the ONLY one who can determine what I can handle. If our friends were meeting us that day, I think it would be easier because I'd have them to "talk me through it". I could ask them to join us, but the husband would have to take an extra day off work and I don't want him to that just because I'm a big ole baby! :rotfl2::rotfl2:
There are 3 rows. If you get on the bottom or even the middle row you should be fine. My mom was deathly afraid of heights and we talked her into going on it. She loved it. During the liftoff, she was definitely apprehensive, but once it got going she forgot all about it. I am a little afraid of heights (but I will still do things, it just makes me queasy) and I had no problem at all.

ETA: My mother rode this 2 times, and I mean, she is really afraid. She went up in a tower, took one step off the elevator (situated in the center of the platform), and plastered herself to the elevator's outside wall, paralyzed. As soon as the next door opened, she was on it.

Last edited:
There are 3 rows. If you get on the bottom or even the middle row you should be fine. My mom was deathly afraid of heights and we talked her into going on it. She loved it. During the liftoff, she was definitely apprehensive, but once it got going she forgot all about it. I am a little afraid of heights (but I will still do things, it just makes me queasy) and I had no problem at all.

ETA: My mother rode this 2 times, and I mean, she is really afraid. She went up in a tower, took one step off the elevator (situated in the center of the platform), and plastered herself to the elevator's outside wall, paralyzed. As soon as the next door opened, she was on it.

Thanks for this! It helps! :hug:

Tell the CM you would like to request "B3" and you don't mind waiting until the next flight if necessary.

That will put you on the bottom row which you definitely want and will put you in the center section where the movie is not "curved".

As you are being put into the rows, tell the CM that you are afraid of heigths and ask to be put in row 3, even if you have to wait. That should put you in the lowest row and you should be good.

Row 3 is much closer to the ground, and should be easier for you to handle. I am pretty bad with heights, and have ridden even in row one (the highest row) quite a number of times. It bothers me a bit on the way up. Once the ride has lifted into place, I don't really have much trouble with it.

I don't like heights and don't like being in the top row. I looked up at the screen and realized how high up I'd be, if I wouldn't have done that I may have been ok. Rode it again and once again was in the top row. Not as bad as the first time but still uneasy. Will ask for bottom row next time.

Just last week I stumbled on the same piece of information as I was listing attractions for our next trip. I had always told myself when the kids are old enough, I'll go on soarin. I'm not sure why but I assumed it was a few feet off the ground and worse case, I could just close my eyes. Knowing I'm being pulled way up first, I'm wavering. I also travel during Easter week (2020 is the next trip), that's not a convenient time to be making special requests. We'll see, but I'm on the fence!

My sense of heights from the ground on that ride is so off since you are focusing on the screen and don’t see anything else. I had no idea it was that high on the first row. It’s one of my favorite rides in all of WDW. Im. It a fan of heights either

I’ve ridden it once, and was in the top row. I had no idea how high it was going to go. I was absolutely terrified, and screamed the whole time. This trip I’m planning to bow out and go ride the little boat through the greenhouse while my family rides Soarin. I’ve thought about requesting the bottom row, but it really makes me anxious, and it’s just not worth it to me.

I’ve ridden it once, and was in the top row. I had no idea how high it was going to go. I was absolutely terrified, and screamed the whole time. This trip I’m planning to bow out and go ride the little boat through the greenhouse while my family rides Soarin. I’ve thought about requesting the bottom row, but it really makes me anxious, and it’s just not worth it to me.

Yes, not worth the anxiety haha
I get myself worked about standing in the line ‍♀️

I'm not a fan of heights either :-) hold on to the little handles. I love Soarin and do all of the rides that go up. Lol, don't look down and you'll be fine

Hate heights. Hate em.

Two steps up a ladder a while holding on is my limit. I even have a hard time watching shows that show a height visual.

Soarin was no issue for me even in row one. I found since the rise was in the dark(ish) I had no idea how high I was going and kept my focus on the screen.

I'd say it's closer to 12, 8 and 4 feet.

Nope.

Those measurements are not even close to taking into account the height of each of the seating vehicles when they are on the ground.
(If each vehicle was only 4 feet tall, how could guests walk in front of them and then sit down?)

Last edited:
Nope.

Those measurements are not even close to taking into account the height of each of the seating vehicles when they are on the ground.
(If each vehicle was only 4 feet tall, how could guests walk in front of them and then sit down?)

I'm thinking my feet just aren't that far off the ground. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I truly doubt my feet are dangling much higher off the ground than what I specified. I'm certainly not measuring from the top of any vehicle since I'm not at the top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter