UK cruiser buying Bonine

knighta37

Earning My Ears
Hi,

We are due to sail on the Fantasy this Saturday (!!!) staying 2 nights at Port Orleans Riverside before a Happy Shuttle booking to get on the ship.

We'll be using Disney Bus from the airport. Happy Shuttle have said we can do a grocery stop on the way to the port.

Question is either at the airport when we arrive or en-route to the ship will there be anywhere to buy Bonine or should I plan in a cab ride on the Friday to go and get some? Don't seem to be able to get it in the UK.

Cheers

Alex

If neither of your plans work out, don't forget there is free meclizine on the ship for anyone that needs it at the health center. Good luck though!

If neither of your plans work out, don't forget there is free meclizine on the ship for anyone that needs it at the health center. Good luck though!

This, no need to buy anything as they have it on board. We read about this after we'd already purchased Dramamine

This, no need to buy anything as they have it on board. We read about this after we'd already purchased Dramamine

I think the only downside is that some people like to take meclizine a day or so before they board.

Make sure if Dramamine is bought it is the non-drowsy version (which is meclizine or the same a Bonine). The DW always does take a day prior and if you are unable to, just make sure to take a day or two after as well for the DW who is prone to sea sickness will have sea legs follow her for a few days after the cruise.

You might try the shops in Riverside first. They have more medications than you might think, and some people (like me!) take motion sickness medication before going on the rides in the parks. I believe there is a Wal-greens pharmacy near Disney Springs too, probably not walking distance - but a short cab ride from there.

If you are fine waiting for the grocery stop on your shuttle - just FYI, large standard American grocery stores always have pharmacies within them. (I am guessing that perhaps this is not the case in the UK?) A specialty type of place like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's would not have meclizine, but the more typical grocery stores like Publix will. Wal-Mart or Target would be good potential shuttle stops too, as stores that also have both pharmaceutical items and groceries.

I start the night before the cruise and I have no issues all week.
I just ordered some through Amazon, I got 2 packs of 16 for $14.99
They have smaller packs for less. 2 day shipping with prime.

Bonine, Dramamine non-drowsey or meclizine can be purchased in a grocery store in the USA. It can also be found in Target, Walmart and of course a Pharmacy.

As someone else stated there is usually a container full of them outside the infirmity onboard for the taking.

You want to ask for meclizine if that's the drug you want. That's Bonine and non-drowsy Dramamine.

Normal Dramamine is dimenhydrinate.

Google let me know that the U.K. has a product called Kwells, which is hyoscine hydrobromide.

If you're new to all of them, I'd just get the anti motion sickness drug that you can get in the U.K.

If you know you want a specific drug then go to the store once in the states and get that.

While the ships do have it onboard at the infirmary, it is meant to be take as "samples" and it is available for purchase in the shops

I wish I knew the answer to your Amazon question.

I can tell you that you might not want to count on finding it at "grocery store Target, Walmart and Pharmacy" in the USA. Maybe that is true in Florida, IDK, but in the state I live in, Massachusetts, I looked in Walmart, several grocery stores and 3 drug stores and couldn't find Bonine (or Dramamine non-dowsy/meclizine) in ANY of them. I was quite surprised as I used to do it regularly. I ended up having to get it from Amazon. I don't know why it has become hard to find.

Bonine has become harder to find for me also especially with "cruise season" coming up. I live in New Jersey and had to go to two Targets to get what I needed for our upcoming cruise. Each store had only one package left.

You can still get a prescription for it in the US too. My mom does that, b/c it's cheaper than OTC, for those of you on similar medicare plans.

If one is flying into MCO, both the drowsy (dimenhydrinate) and the non-drowsy Dramamine (meclizine or the same active ingredient a Bonine) can be bought at the Hudson News store at the airport at least in the terminal (can't say if at the gate stores). You'll pay airport pricing for what I think was a tube of 12 tablets (one a day dose) but if using Disney transfers or a rental to port and wanting to take prior to boarding this is an option without having to stop en-route (remember you will not get into the on-board shops till dinner time as the on-board stores are are all closed until at sea).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!