UK cruiser buying Bonine

The difference is Bonine does not make you drowsy or (for me) bother your stomach.

I wish I knew the answer to your Amazon question.

I can tell you that you might not want to count on finding it at "grocery store Target, Walmart and Pharmacy" in the USA. Maybe that is true in Florida, IDK, but in the state I live in, Massachusetts, I looked in Walmart, several grocery stores and 3 drug stores and couldn't find Bonine (or Dramamine non-dowsy/meclizine) in ANY of them. I was quite surprised as I used to do it regularly. I ended up having to get it from Amazon. I don't know why it has become hard to find.
I've found Bonine (brand name as well as generic - meclizine) at both Target & WalMart. As well as the CVS in my neighborhood (Southern CA) with no issue.

There is one, but you need a prescription for it... I looked it up a while back - who knew it would be so hard to get?

Did you notice...

Google let me know that the U.K. has a product called Kwells, which is hyoscine hydrobromide.

We used Kwells from the UK and it worked well. Available over the counter and they do a Kwells Kids too.

Though according to drugs.com and wiki, hyoscine = scopolamine. That's what is used in the patch in the US. So it's definitely a different drug than the US pill products.

Did you notice...

Though according to drugs.com and wiki, hyoscine = scopolamine. That's what is used in the patch in the US. So it's definitely a different drug than the US pill products.

Actually, this is the post I was referring to - slightly different than what you're talking about
Bonine's clinical name is meclizine - it appears to be unavailable in the UK. However, Promethazine hcl is available in the UK (with a prescription - LLoyds seems to have it, not sure about Boots). Here, it's known as Phenergan. It works. Very well. You'll have to take it at night though, because it's more potent than knockout-drops! But, should you need it, I can promise you will not get sick. I've used it for years - most of the time, I only need a 1/2 dose. Meclizine is good, but not nearly as potent.

I've been on Phenergan for many of my surgeries (I react poorly to most anesthetics), and that's why I remembered to look up that particular drug as an anti-emetic.

Just resurrecting this old thread - does anyone know if there's now a way to buy bonine from the UK?
It still seems to be the majority of US cruisers motion sickness medication of choice, but I still don't believe it's readily available here in the UK...

Just resurrecting this old thread - does anyone know if there's now a way to buy bonine from the UK?
It still seems to be the majority of US cruisers motion sickness medication of choice, but I still don't believe it's readily available here in the UK...
I believe the only option would be to purchase it once you're in the US, before boarding the ship.

But, as noted, it's available on the ship for free. Meclizine is the generic for Bonine.

I believe the only option would be to purchase it once you're in the US, before boarding the ship.

But, as noted, it's available on the ship for free. Meclizine is the generic for Bonine.
Thanks for the advice.

It seems we used to have a couple of medicines here in the UK containing meclizine, but for whatever reason both have been discontinued.

I've managed to find one Amazon.com seller who ships it to the UK for a very reasonable price, so think I'll do this, then I don't need to go hunting around once we arrive and can start to take it the night before we board.

I’m a uk traveller, who suffers very bad motion sickness. I have tried all otc medication available here and have managed to get scop patches (my doc does not believe meds here do not work but a friend had been prescribed some) I use Dramamine - original formula (tried bonnine but did not work for me). I stock up on them when I visit the US.
The scop patches have some weird side effects and I discontinued their use - very blurred vision and bad taste in my mouth.
With anything you need to find what works for you - do not rely on what works for other people

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter