*UN*Official 20 Years of Dreams Event Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This discussion about how much you plan or don't plan for a WDW is interesting. Over the past several years, since I started visiting both WDW and Disneyland again, I have really grown more an affinity for Disneyland over WDW. The primary reason is that you don't have to plan your entire trip out so far in advance. When I go to Disneyland, I make a few dining reservations for my trip. But that is only around the 45 day mark and not the 6 months in advance. I never used the legacy FP system until I started going back to Disneyland. At first I was perplexed. But now with Maxpass, I really like this at Disneyland. Overall, my Disneyland trips are more relaxed and feel like a vacation since I can be more "what do I feel like next" and I don't have to do all the uber planning and get the FOMO feeling. Don't get me wrong, I still love WDW and will continue to go. But if given a choice, I would choose Disneyland in a heart beat now just because I don't have to uber plan to feel like I had a good time. Just wish I didn't have to fly across the U.S. to get to Disneyland.

And our one trip to Disneyland I found way more stressful because I couldn't plan more for and felt we were scrambling more during our days. Maybe if we went more often to DLR I would feel differently but that trip, at least, confirmed we are more a WDW family

Also find the cast member at WDW better than those we encountered at DLR so possible we just had an odd trip there since I know most people say the opposite

And our one trip to Disneyland I found way more stressful because I couldn't plan more for and felt we were scrambling more during our days. Maybe if we went more often to DLR I would feel differently but that trip, at least, confirmed we are more a WDW family

Also find the cast member at WDW better than those we encountered at DLR so possible we just had an odd trip there since I know most people say the opposite
My wife and I are making our first DLR visit in November. I'm curious how the differences in size between WDW and DLR will affect us. We do have a plan and that is to spend RD till whenever in SWGE on our first day........so there is a partial plan. After that, we got nothing......we see resturants we'd like to try but nothing etched in stone. People keep telling us we won't like DLR because we've become to accustom to WDW. I guess we'll see 8-) Makes the anticipation greater in my mind.

Doug :goofy:

I have really grown more an affinity for Disneyland over WDW. The primary reason is that you don't have to plan your entire trip out so far in advance.
That's exactly my point though. You DON'T have to plan your entire trip in advance. We go to WDW every year at least once and sometimes twice, sometimes for 2 weeks at a time. We make NO ADRs. We make very few if any FPs in advance. And we have a great time. The whole "you have to have a spreadsheet and plan every moment of every day" is fine if you actually enjoy that but that's not how we want to travel so we don't.

That's exactly my point though. You DON'T have to plan your entire trip in advance. We go to WDW every year at least once and sometimes twice, sometimes for 2 weeks at a time. We make NO ADRs. We make very few if any FPs in advance. And we have a great time. The whole "you have to have a spreadsheet and plan every moment of every day" is fine if you actually enjoy that but that's not how we want to travel so we don't.

absolutely - though I think you have to have the right expectations going in. You really can't go to WDW in that style and expect to get on all the popular rides with minimal waits or get into all the table service restaurants at the times you want, etc.

I know you are ok with that but I see a lot of families go for the first time and not do any planning and then say they had a bad experience b/c they couldn't do what they wanted, when they wanted

absolutely - though I think you have to have the right expectations going in. You really can't go to WDW in that style and expect to get on all the popular rides with minimal waits or get into all the table service restaurants at the times you want, etc.

I know you are ok with that but I see a lot of families go for the first time and not do any planning and then say they had a bad experience b/c they couldn't do what they wanted, when they wanted
I agree completely. So many people show up at WDW as if they were showing up at their local amusement park. They do no research and simply don't understand how massive and how crowded WDW is. Then they're disappointed with the experience. We go knowing full well what we're doing and what our trip will look like. Some days, that means spending the whole day in a park and only doing 3 attractions that we made FPs for the night before, and we're just fine with that.

Well.... at least I know what I'm going to wear on Monday! (RedShirt and Rainbows, my friends!)
I bought some of the new Pride merchandise the day it became available on the Shop Disney website. I also selected the Pride Magic Band for my AP when that went affect for a hot minute. For the 20th, I will probably wear the Rainbow hats I purchased. And I am not much of a hat person, but it will be August and hot.

Hi everyone. Due to Disney starting the option to make reservations for Miniature Golf, we are canceling the Miniature Golf Tournament Event. I’m sorry for any inconvenience this might cause. If you still want to go miniature golfing while on your vacation, I highly recommend it. Just know that there will not be an unofficial miniature golf tournament now. I’m looking forward to seeing and meeting everyone at other events!

I agree completely. So many people show up at WDW as if they were showing up at their local amusement park. They do no research and simply don't understand how massive and how crowded WDW is. Then they're disappointed with the experience. We go knowing full well what we're doing and what our trip will look like. Some days, that means spending the whole day in a park and only doing 3 attractions that we made FPs for the night before, and we're just fine with that.
I do agree with what you're saying here for folks like us....diehards 8-) .........but when you(me, anyone of us) think back to your first visit.......did you do the research? I know for a fact when we went back in 1998 we had no clue! Back then it was 3 parks.........and quite a different thing. Like you, I consider myself more of a seasoned WDW traveler......while I plan (less than i did).....I go in with what I believe are valid expectations based on research and experience. I don't wing it because I just "don't" neither point of view is incorrect for the person impacted. I talk to folks traveling to WDW for the first time and try to help with those expectations and they're eyes glaze over.......when they get back they usually thank me because they weren't surprised.

We here are Disney nerds........the vast majority of folks who visit WDW don't visit as often as many of us do. Unless they have a TA setting realistic expectations and helping them "organize" their trip.......most will be overwhelmed with the size and sheer multitude of choices.

Shut Mother Blanche's Parlour Door!!
I just found out Gay Days isn't in June, it's in August this year! Right after the DIS meet!! Aug 13-19! Gah..... I'm going to miss it! https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-gay-days.htm

Well.... at least I know what I'm going to wear on Monday! (RedShirt and Rainbows, my friends!)

oh my god....i was sure we were going at a downtime in the parks....
the second half of august is usually dead.....
arggghhhhhhhh......
i just checked our schedule against the gay days schedule - the only day we're in the same park is probably the one that will be most crowded - MK on saturday august 17.
arggghhhhhhhh
why didn't i know this before i did our FPs....
maybe we'll go shopping that day?
i hate hate hate hate hate crowds....
i'm guessing MK on a saturday during gay days is going to be super crazy nutso crowded....

well on the bright side, it will be interesting....i've always heard gay days at the parks are fun...

so i figure we'll keep the MK day as is...
we'll still rope drop fantasyland as i'd planned..
then do our FPs which are all in the morning.
then our ADR at the plaza...
then head out of the park...
that will probably be ok....hopefully the morning won't be too crowded...

Last edited:
I do agree with what you're saying here for folks like us....diehards 8-) .........but when you(me, anyone of us) think back to your first visit.......did you do the research? I know for a fact when we went back in 1998 we had no clue! Back then it was 3 parks.........and quite a different thing. Like you, I consider myself more of a seasoned WDW traveler......while I plan (less than i did).....I go in with what I believe are valid expectations based on research and experience. I don't wing it because I just "don't" neither point of view is incorrect for the person impacted. I talk to folks traveling to WDW for the first time and try to help with those expectations and they're eyes glaze over.......when they get back they usually thank me because they weren't surprised.

We here are Disney nerds........the vast majority of folks who visit WDW don't visit as often as many of us do. Unless they have a TA setting realistic expectations and helping them "organize" their trip.......most will be overwhelmed with the size and sheer multitude of choices.

the first time i went to WDW was in 1974 when there was only ONE park - the magic kingdom...
imagine that...only one park...
and no of course we didn't plan...
we didn't need to..

I do agree with what you're saying here for folks like us....diehards 8-) .........but when you(me, anyone of us) think back to your first visit.......did you do the research? I know for a fact when we went back in 1998 we had no clue!
You bet I did. I was a Disney nerd back then too. I watched every TV show and studied every brochure and guide we got from our travel agent and anything else I could get my hands on. I knew that park (there was only one at the time) inside and out before we stepped off the plane in Orlando.

oh my god....i was sure we were going at a downtime in the parks....

i hate hate hate hate hate crowds....
Sadly, "downtime in the parks" is no longer a thing. It simply doesn't exist anymore. The crowd level during the "slow" days today is similar to what the crowd level used to be on the busy days years ago. And the busy days are now over the top insanely busy. I think this is the single biggest factor in lower guest satisfaction. It certainly is for me. More and more, I find myself enjoying the parks less because of the massive crowds.

Even doing non-park activities like Disney Springs, the crowd level is such that it detracts from the experience.

Sadly, "downtime in the parks" is no longer a thing. It simply doesn't exist anymore. The crowd level during the "slow" days today is similar to what the crowd level used to be on the busy days years ago. And the busy days are now over the top insanely busy. I think this is the single biggest factor in lower guest satisfaction. It certainly is for me. More and more, I find myself enjoying the parks less because of the massive crowds.

Even doing non-park activities like Disney Springs, the crowd level is such that it detracts from the experience.

i totally agree with you....
although the second half of august does normally have lower crowd levels than the rest of the summer....

Last edited:
the first time i went to WDW was in 1974 when there was only ONE park - the magic kingdom...
imagine that...only one park...
and no of course we didn't plan...
we didn't need to..
Our first trip was in 1978. We got our park tickets in advance. We got our tickets for SeaWorld in advance. We reserved Hoop De Doo and the Polynesian Luau in advance. It was all done through our travel agent. That was pretty much all the planning one could do at the time. I don't think we had any other dining reservations but it was only a 4-night trip.

Our first trip was in 1978. We got our park tickets in advance. We got our tickets for SeaWorld in advance. We reserved Hoop De Doo and the Polynesian Luau in advance. It was all done through our travel agent. That was pretty much all the planning one could do at the time. I don't think we had any other dining reservations but it was only a 4-night trip.

back in 1974 it was an A,B,C,D,E ticket...
which was also the case when aaron and i went on our honeymoon there in 1978
and still there was only the magic kingdom...epcot was only added in 1982...

Last edited:
Two (three?) years ago I was traveling during gay days. I didn't notice MK was crowded more than any other well attended day. I think we arrived just before rope drop for our Pre-park BoG ADR. What I did notice was a lot of smiling, camaraderie, support and the parade was wonderful. Folks jumped in at the end of the parade, which I think might be usual?, and created their own mini-parade celebration. People were also dressing in theme, sharing their pride for family. I loved the creativity in outfits and ECV decorations! So I hope your MK day is fabulous and you have a rainbowtastic time!

Two (three?) years ago I was traveling during gay days. I didn't notice MK was crowded more than any other well attended day. I think we arrived just before rope drop for our Pre-park BoG ADR. What I did notice was a lot of smiling, camaraderie, support and the parade was wonderful. Folks jumped in at the end of the parade, which I think might be usual?, and created their own mini-parade celebration. People were also dressing in theme, sharing their pride for family. I loved the creativity in outfits and ECV decorations! So I hope your MK day is fabulous and you have a rainbowtastic time!

that's why we're keeping the MK day as is....
i'll probably be mistaken for someone who did gender reassignment surgery....
though that will no doubt be the story of my entire stay at WDW, not just during gay days.....
flat as a board (actually more like concave chest after double mastectomy) and my hair has only grown in about an inch since i finished chemo..
and with a belly..
i look decidedly male...
where i live, the verbs have gender, so the moment someone starts talking to me, i know they think i'm a guy..
oh well....at least i'm alive..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter