UnBirthday?

tmaxwell

Mouseketeer
Has anyone ever celebrated their kids unbirthday at the parks? My kids birthdays are in January and March and we can never go due to the fact I'm an accountant and my husband is a teacher. We go again in August and my kids this past trip were so bummed that there were all these people with buttons around celebrating their birthdays and they would never get a chance to celebrate theirs at the parks.

Thanks!!

Disney doesn't check for birthdates. We're going in November and this is our "Birthday Trip". Grandma is taking two adult kids and one grandchild on a trip and we are celebrating their birthdays. One is in Oct, one in January, one in February. I'm getting birthday buttons for them all, although I suspect the grandchild will be the only one who will want to wear hers.

I celebrated my "dirty" 30 over a year later. I had my oldest 2 days prior to my 30th birthday. We couldn't make it back down till over a year later. We planning on going later this year for our birthdays (as long has dh's job gets down time) we will still celebrate the birthdays.

Most people celebrating their birthday in Disney aren't celebrating it on the actual day. Like with your situation, real life doesn't always allow for that. Don't sweat it. In July we were celebrating our engagement that had happened about one month before. No one said anything other than "Congratulations"

We have 2 DDs that their birthdays always fell near our trips (since we would go in Feb and August)- so once year we took turns with the other kids celebrating their birthdays. It's fun and they loved it.

Me, I would feel uncomfortable celebrating something that wasn't truly happening on or even near the trip. I can never go for my birthday, and would feel odd celebrating it months away.

Disney won't check for dates, but it isn't something I would do. I know it is an unpopular viewpoint, but I would use it more as a teaching moment. That you don't always get to celebrate the same way as others. There are other ways to make your vacations extra special than celebrating something that isn't happening.

Debbie Downer out.:duck:

You can always get them an "I'm celebrating" button and write (Starting "X" grade this year!) It'll be something for them to celebrate without it being a birthday that happened months prior.

Thanks for this awesome idea. We are taking my youngest next summer at almost 3 and it will be his first trip. My oldest will be starting kindergarten so I can get one of those buttons for him so he doesn't feel left out from getting a button.

Everyone has to do what they feel is right. There are plenty of people who celebrate their birthday every day on a trip months away from their actual birthday. I personally agree with @maxiesmom that it just isn't for me. This past trip was actually a birthday present for DD7 (we announced the trip on her birthday and she didn't get a party or many presents since the trip was her gift), but since we went 3 months after her birthday, we didn't get her a celebration button or acknowledge the birthday on any ADRs. DS turned 2 three days after we got home, but we didn't get him a button or celebrate his birthday at WDW either since it wasn't his bday while we were there.

For us, we celebrate either on their exact birthday OR another day close to it when we are able to have their party (typically the following weekend if their birthday is mid-week). My kids are special to me every day of the year, but we try to enforce that a birthday is celebrated on one day, because that makes it fair to everyone else to be able to celebrate, and be acknowledged on, their birthday too.

I know plenty of other people feel differently, and that's fine. We just do what works best for our family.

Where do you get the buttons? Bring your own?
It's my daughters' birthday 10 days before we arrive. I wasn't planning on making her birthday gift but I may tell her we will get her a gift for her birthday while we are there.

Me, I would feel uncomfortable celebrating something that wasn't truly happening on or even near the trip. I can never go for my birthday, and would feel odd celebrating it months away.

Disney won't check for dates, but it isn't something I would do. I know it is an unpopular viewpoint, but I would use it more as a teaching moment. That you don't always get to celebrate the same way as others. There are other ways to make your vacations extra special than celebrating something that isn't happening.

Debbie Downer out.:duck:

Yeah, I agree with this. I've never been to Disney on my birthday, but did go for my honeymoon and we wore the buttons. Cast members were so amazing and we got several awesome, free perks. My husband joked that we should say it's our honeymoon every time we come back. My response was basically, "Oh, no! It wouldn't be treated as such a special thing if people lied about it! They'd probably have to stop doing all the nice extras."

Now I realize birthdays and honeymoons aren't exactly the same - once in a lifetime event compared to an annual one. But it still feels wrong to me. Let the actual birthday people be a little extra special, don't water it down by having a ton of people lying that it's their birthday too. My mom is a teacher so I never visited Disney for my birthday, and as a kid it never even occurred to me to feel badly about that.

You can write anything you want on the buttons.

Half-Birthday, Un-Birthday, Brother/Sister Birthday, End of Summer, Back to School ... it's a blank space, have fun with it.

Celebrating-buttons-720x340.jpg

Photo from: http://mickeyblog.com/2017/08/17/celebrating-special-occasions-walt-disney-world/

You can write anything you want on the buttons.

Half-Birthday, Un-Birthday, Brother/Sister Birthday, End of Summer, Back to School ... it's a blank space, have fun with it.

Celebrating-buttons-720x340.jpg

Photo from: http://mickeyblog.com/2017/08/17/celebrating-special-occasions-walt-disney-world/
Great point! For those set on celebrating there, I think writing "unbirthday" is a nice Alice in Wonderland type of compromise. This is how my mom handles having students who are bummed about summer birthdays because they want to bring in cupcakes or whatever - they pick a day to celebrate their unbirthday. Not a lie but still a chance to celebrate.

My DH is turning 50 in May, we are going to Disney in August so I have told him we he is celebrating his 50th in Disney<- that's the look he gave me!

We can't go in May since I have kids in school til mid to late June.

I won't go in July and August is my preferred month, really late but oldest dd plays soccer and practices start the end of August as well as summer league in July.

Where do you get the buttons? Bring your own?
It's my daughters' birthday 10 days before we arrive. I wasn't planning on making her birthday gift but I may tell her we will get her a gift for her birthday while we are there.

If you're staying at a resort you can ask for one at check in. They also have them at guest services in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!