Under the Mouse: Cast Members Mistreatment

Rufio

Disney Veteran/Lost Boy
Hello my old friends, it's been awhile. I've been hearing from inside the company how cast members are still not informed if they will return to work. They are actually not even allowed to reply to emails currently (if they are on furlough). I'm curious if anyone in the family of DisBoards, knows of more information or firsthand on more accounts such as these. I'm a videographer and I'm debating on producing a story on the reality - yet again - of being under the mouse.

Love The Lost Boy

Hello my old friends, it's been awhile. I've been hearing from inside the company how cast members are still not informed if they will return to work. They are actually not even allowed to reply to emails currently (if they are on furlough). I'm curious if anyone in the family of DisBoards, knows of more information or firsthand on more accounts such as these. I'm a videographer and I'm debating on producing a story on the reality - yet again - of being under the mouse.

Love The Lost Boy
Unfortunately that’s normally how furlough works. At my company we have to take a 2 week furlough before the end of the year, and while we’re on that, we will have our remote access to all systems and emails removed. We’re basically cut off from the company during that time.

As for Disney, I’m thinking a lot of employees are currently back, given that the parks are opening up.

Yes, there are many CMs still not called back yet.

edit: and yes, replying to emails would be considered working so that would be working off the clock essentially so, not allowed.

Love The Lost Boy

That's how it works. You're technically not an employee anymore. I was furloughed for a month and they cut me off from my email, said I wasn't allowed to volunteer to work, etc.

I do know someone who's husband who works for Disney hasn't heard anything yet.

Thanks for the quick reply. Luckily, I have not had the experience being furlough as of yet. I'm just astonished the lack on communication based on my source of how they're providing virtually no updates to a large portion of the cast members. It brings me back to 2009/2010 when cast member (park facing), were living in multi-family homes or cars to simply survive from the incredibly low wages. Recalling my naive excitement to $6.36 an hour during my internship.

That's how it works. You're technically not an employee anymore. I was furloughed for a month and they cut me off from my email, said I wasn't allowed to volunteer to work, etc.

I do know someone who's husband who works for Disney hasn't heard anything yet.

Based on other companies in the past, when layoffs or an org change has surfaced they communicate continuously with the employees as they receive information. Perhaps I've been lucky yet again to work for corporations that do directly notify their staff. These cast members have been out of work since April 19; with only. the very "essential" park cast members to return. It's blatantly profit bare-bones embarrassing as a Forbes "Best Employer" ranked entity. I've lost most of the magic. Walt would have dug into his pockets to heal his loyal legion of magic makers.

Unfortunately that’s normally how furlough works. At my company we have to take a 2 week furlough before the end of the year, and while we’re on that, we will have our remote access to all systems and emails removed. We’re basically cut off from the company during that time.

As for Disney, I’m thinking a lot of employees are currently back, given that the parks are opening up.

Thank you for the reply. Curious how would one contact you? Via phone to say if there's any chance of re-employment?

Thank you for the reply. Curious how would one contact you? Via phone to say if there's any chance of re-employment?
Yes you get called back. Many different areas of Disney are unionized too so those unions negotiate these sorts of things.

Moving since this isn’t news or rumors.

Yes you get called back. Many different areas of Disney are unionized too so those unions negotiate these sorts of things.

Moving since this isn’t news or rumors.

Where should I be posting this call to expression?

Where should I be posting this call to expression?
I moved to the Theme park community board. Sort of a catch all place for the parks. Your best option is likely somewhere that CMs can give first hand info. I’m not a CM so I’m not exactly sure where the best spot may be.

....my DS is still on furlough and has not been called back yet either. :confused3 :guilty: He's a server and, frankly, is surprised that he hasn't been called back yet....a lot of his friends worked at Epcot and most are still not allowed international travel. With Epcot opening July 15, along with the F&WF, he was sure that he would have heard something by now....

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter