Understanding Campsite measurements

corlando60

Earning My Ears
Hello can anyone tell me if the site measurements given for each campsite is based on the measurement of the "pad" or does this measurement also include the driveway? I really need to know. Thank you for your time.

Personally I would assume it's from where the roadway ends and meets up with the vertical paved part of the actual site. But don't take my word as 100% correct.

This might help you some. I forgot who posted it but it's a fairly good resource. But to your question, I don't know how accurate any of them are. When some of the pictures were taken, they actually got a picture of us in our site, and our friends in the site next to us. The measurements given were actually shorter than what the actual site was. That's a good thing, but brings up the question of accuracy.
https://wildernessprincess.net/loop-site-details/

Here is an example that you can actually see. Once you click on the link, scroll down to the 800 loop. Type in site 836. That was our friends site. You'll see their coach in the site with their jeep parked in front of it. The description of the site says 40'. Their coach is over 42' and it's all in plus the jeep in front. That's over 55'. So I don't know where they measure from.

Last edited:
This might help you some. I forgot who posted it but it's a fairly good resource. But to your question, I don't know how accurate any of them are. When some of the pictures were taken, they actually got a picture of us in our site, and our friends in the site next to us. The measurements given were actually shorter than what the actual site was. That's a good thing, but brings up the question of accuracy.
https://wildernessprincess.net/loop-site-details/

Here is an example that you can actually see. Once you click on the link, scroll down to the 800 loop. Type in site 836. That was our friends site. You'll see their coach in the site with their jeep parked in front of it. The description of the site says 40'. Their coach is over 42' and it's all in plus the jeep in front. That's over 55'. So I don't know where they measure from.
Thank you for your reply. I have checked that site before and she gives some really good descriptions. I see what you mean about the size based on site #836. Makes me think that maybe they base the estimated measurement on what size they feel you will have left behind your vehicle after you park it. Good to know - thank you.

I just want to put out there for anyone reading that the chances of getting a particular site (even if you request it) is pretty low. So don't get hung up on any particular site #.

To make sure you get a site you fit on (if that's a concern of yours), include your trailer size as a comment when you make your reservation (depending on what type of site you choose to reserve). Those comments get passed down to the Fort Cast Members about 5 days before you arrive. And CM's try to ensure you get a site that fits you.

You could *ASK* for the site I happen to be on when you arrive. But I if I am somewhere in the middle of a 30 day reservation while on that site they will DEFINITELY place you somewhere else.

Some state park systems, for example (mine for some parks), let you reserve a specific campsite at booking time (of course it might be already reserved for the dates you want). But the Fort is not site-specific so you reserve a specific CATEGORY of site and if you include your measurements as comments, you should get one that fits you.

Don't let me deter you. You can ask for a specific site anytime. However the chances of getting it might be low. :confused3

Bama Ed

I would add, when you arrive, ask them about if your so and so will fit on the site. They are pretty good at that. In fact they upgraded me from a tent site, to a full hook up when they saw my TT. They asked me if i would be more comfortable. I didnt ask them. They saw what i had and knew it would be tight.

Also if you get to your site and find you don't fit they are good at moving you. We once got to the site, backed in and realized there was a tree where our awning went out. We have a hybrid with three fold outs so sometimes it can be funky to fit especially with trees. They were so nice on that trip and told us to find an unoccupied site in the full hookup section and we found a perfect site right next to the comfort station.

I would add, when you arrive, ask them about if your so and so will fit on the site. They are pretty good at that. In fact they upgraded me from a tent site, to a full hook up when they saw my TT. They asked me if i would be more comfortable. I didnt ask them. They saw what i had and knew it would be tight.

Good point, Sjm9911. Whenever you arrive to check in, you can negotiate on what's available at that moment for your particular site level.

Again, holding out for a particular site way in advance does not usually bear fruit. Being nimble, flexible, (and arriving as early as you can on your check-in day) does much better for you.

Bama Ed

We had an issue last trip on a site in 1900. There was no way our truck and trailer could be navigated into the site due to an obstruction across the road. At the point where the site was, the road was very narrow and allowed for no swing. After going back to the front desk and discussing the issue with the CM she showed me the "book" with all the site measurements, nothing was noted about the obstruction. I commented that maybe the book should be updated with the info since nothing bigger than a popup and a small SUV would be able to make the swing, the issue had to have come up previously. So, long story short, the site measurement probably wont tell the entire story.

We had an issue last trip on a site in 1900. There was no way our truck and trailer could be navigated into the site due to an obstruction across the road. At the point where the site was, the road was very narrow and allowed for no swing. After going back to the front desk and discussing the issue with the CM she showed me the "book" with all the site measurements, nothing was noted about the obstruction. I commented that maybe the book should be updated with the info since nothing bigger than a popup and a small SUV would be able to make the swing, the issue had to have come up previously. So, long story short, the site measurement probably wont tell the entire story.
Thank you for the information. Sounds like the only consistency is that there is no consistency. lol :confused3

I just want to put out there for anyone reading that the chances of getting a particular site (even if you request it) is pretty low. So don't get hung up on any particular site #.

To make sure you get a site you fit on (if that's a concern of yours), include your trailer size as a comment when you make your reservation (depending on what type of site you choose to reserve). Those comments get passed down to the Fort Cast Members about 5 days before you arrive. And CM's try to ensure you get a site that fits you.

You could *ASK* for the site I happen to be on when you arrive. But I if I am somewhere in the middle of a 30 day reservation while on that site they will DEFINITELY place you somewhere else.

Some state park systems, for example (mine for some parks), let you reserve a specific campsite at booking time (of course it might be already reserved for the dates you want). But the Fort is not site-specific so you reserve a specific CATEGORY of site and if you include your measurements as comments, you should get one that fits you.

Don't let me deter you. You can ask for a specific site anytime. However the chances of getting it might be low. :confused3

Bama Ed
We were one of the fortunate ones on our last trip and got the site we had requested in our comments. Hoping to get the same luck when we return in April.

We were one of the fortunate ones on our last trip and got the site we had requested in our comments. Hoping to get the same luck when we return in April.

Glad to hear that and fingers crossed for you in the spring! Sometimes we hear from people who return and were disappointed that they didn't get their request. That wasn't you, though! :thumbsup2

Bama Ed

Glad to hear that and fingers crossed for you in the spring! Sometimes we hear from people who return and were disappointed that they didn't get their request. That wasn't you, though! :thumbsup2

Bama Ed
Bama Ed - Just like your Walt Disney quote on your profile says -
"Its kinda fun to do the impossible". Gotta think positive. :thumbsup2🤞

Last edited:

Bama Ed

we are lucky ones also, we always request our favorite site in 700 loop, 8 out of 10 times we've got it. Last March we got in early, they said we were assigned it and it would be ready in a couple hours, we figured there are really no bad sites in 700, so we just took one that was available, it was on the inside of the loop, a little tougher to back in, but we were mini golfing at FG before our original site would have been ready, no disappointment, we really don't spend that much time at the campsite anyway, 2 out of a 10 day stay

We have had a similar problem with electrical box locations both in the 100 loop, with a 25 foot travel trailer and a Crew Cab dually, and we had to asked to be moved for our 2017 stay as there was a power post in the 1300 loop that would not allow us to swing as we tried to back in to the site.
So site length only plays a part of the equation. Site angle, your overall length, the turning radius of your truck, the overhang of your trailer. We went to a larger tow vehicle with the same trailer and I can get in to tighter spaces because my turning radius is 20 degrees more than our dually was. I now also have the ability to jackknife to 90 degrees which most can not do with a pickup.

So there are a lot of variables. Then the reservation matrix to get a site, bless the person that does this at Disney. Well the computer does most of the work. Then it is reviewed and reviewed again. We have made 3 trips to the Fort and only once did we get our requested loop. Did not even get our requested loop after the Fort reopening after Hurricane Irma, and the place was empty. Yet I see others are much luckier than we have been.

But hey, if I have a campsite at the Fort and am in the Disney bubble, all is good.

I always look on the satellite view - I have a 38' MH and we tow a Jeep so we really check sites before we check in. When we stayed at the fort I had a list of long sites. The CM at check in let me rattle off some of the numbers and our site fit perfect!

I always look on the satellite view - I have a 38' MH and we tow a Jeep so we really check sites before we check in. When we stayed at the fort I had a list of long sites. The CM at check in let me rattle off some of the numbers and our site fit perfect!
Oh thats a great idea. I never thought about that - at least you get a good idea of sizes. Thats all Im looking for is a wish list of sites so that we have some sort of idea. I know I may not get any of the ones on my list but Id rather do my homework before I get there. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter