Understanding Use Year - Updated February 10, 2021

Our normal month to travel to WDW is May. We have looked at dozens of resale contracts but have yet to see a May contract for sale. Are they rarely available?

I saw that it was recommended to keep track of Use Year information. Does this look correct? Do you recommend adding anything else?

Use Year: February Use for: Feb 1-Jan 31 Bank By: September 30th

2017 Points: 0 Feb 2017- Jan 2018
2018 Points: 100 Feb 2018- Jan 2019
2019 Points: 100 Feb 2019- Jan 2020
2020 Points: 100 Feb 2020- Jan 2021
2021 Points: 100 Feb 2021- Jan 2022

I saw that it was recommended to keep track of Use Year information. Does this look correct? Do you recommend adding anything else?

The format didn't post correctly, but hopefully the information is correct.

this is a stale thread. What is your question exactly?

*ETA -- based on your posting, the contract is missing all of the 2017 UY points, but has all points going forward. Were you trying to find out something else?

Last edited:

I think that any recommendations of keeping track of points is just that when you make a reservation that you have the correct points remaining. When you bank track that and check that banked and/or borrowed points are used before current points. If you cancel make certain that the points go back to your account properly.

this is a stale thread. What is your question exactly?

*ETA -- based on your posting, the contract is missing all of the 2017 UY points, but has all points going forward. Were you trying to find out something else?

I'm mostly wondering if a February use year has a banking deadline of September 30th and if the use dates look correct. So, for the 2018 points, I could use those points February 1st 2018 through January 30th of 2019. Is that right?

Sorry to use an old thread. I did a search and didn't see a more recent Use Year thread. =/

I'm mostly wondering if a February use year has a banking deadline of September 30th and if the use dates look correct. So, for the 2018 points, I could use those points February 1st 2018 through January 30th of 2019. Is that right?

Sorry to use an old thread. I did a search and didn't see a more recent Use Year thread. =/

yes -- Feb 2018 UY points run from Feb 1 until Jan 30, 2019. Banking deadline is September 30th.

*ETA -- no problem using an old thread -- just based on your question, it wasn't clear what you were asking.

yes -- Feb 2018 UY points run from Feb 1 until Jan 30, 2019. Banking deadline is September 30th.

*ETA -- no problem using an old thread -- just based on your question, it wasn't clear what you were asking.

Thank you for confirming that for me! I just want to make sure I start off fully understanding how the points work.

So, for the 2018 points, I could use those points February 1st 2018 through January 30th of 2019. Is that right?

Remember that UY is about the dates of your stays. UY is not an issue for when you call to book a stay - that is all based on home resort.

(When you say "I could use those points...", some people think in terms of booking dates when you would call or go online to book the stay. That's not accurate.)

Always start with the dates of your stay - then figure out which UY (or 2) that those dates fall into. At that point you would know what "current" UY pts you would be using. And you would also know that you have access to banked points from the UY before and borrowed points from the next UY (if needed).

I'm in the process of purchasing a SSR resale contract, uy Oct. from a family friend. We plan to travel in October...the dvc guide I spoke with about waitlisting a 50 pt contract at SSR for an Oct UY(to fill out the points we want and to own some points direct) stated that if we plan to travel in Oct, we wouldn't want an OctUY because our points wouldn't be available for October travel...huh? I thought pts became available 10/1 of each year? The DVC guide has a Sept 50point contract he'd like me to buy...is he correct? Is an October UY a problem for October travel?

I'm in the process of purchasing a SSR resale contract, uy Oct. from a family friend. We plan to travel in October...the dvc guide I spoke with about waitlisting a 50 pt contract at SSR for an Oct UY(to fill out the points we want and to own some points direct) stated that if we plan to travel in Oct, we wouldn't want an OctUY because our points wouldn't be available for October travel...huh? I thought pts became available 10/1 of each year? The DVC guide has a Sept 50point contract he'd like me to buy...is he correct? Is an October UY a problem for October travel?

No, not correct.

Either that guide doesn't understand UY (although Sept is fine for Oct travel too) or they had Sept points to sell you but not October. I'd just tell them I'll be wanting Oct points to match the UY once closed on the other contract. I wouldn't buy until that was closed though.

Also, if you bought before October 1st, you would get UY 2016 points, and then UY 2017 October 1st. So almost double points.

Also, if you bought before October 1st, you would get UY 2016 points, and then UY 2017 October 1st. So almost double points.

This is a VERY good point. If you're going to buy 50 points direct -- you might as well do that right now before the other closes so that you get the 2016 UY points.

Good point. Sometimes DVC doesn't have current points to sell with all UY's and they can't sell until after the UY starts and there are current points though.

Yep, but you will pay the dues based on the date of purchase no matter what.

You might want to try a different guide if this one doesn't have the points your are looking for.

Thanks guys....I insisted he put me on a waitlist for Oct UY, we will see how it works out. I'm looking forward to coming home for many years to come...I may call back next week...and see if I can have a new guide..I felt he was pushy, and short with me, wanted to hurry me to a sale.

I would call back today and tomorrow since these are the last two days to get the "bonus" points for OCT UY. If you can't get the contract today or tomorrow, I would just wait until the resale contract comes through and then buy direct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!