Understanding Use Year - Updated February 10, 2021

If you currently own a contract through DVC and you buy a resale for the same resort and same use year, can you combine the points when making a continuous reservation which requires points from both contracts?

it has to be deeded the same and DVC has to put it under the same membership number. they will do this automatically if they notice it, but you should also communicate it to them in case they miss it.

if it's under the same membership number, then yes, you can pool points from both contracts to book a single night.

In the case of AKV since not all of the rooms are available, then no you will not be receiving 2007 points. If the "unit" that you purchased was complete/open/available, prior to December 2008, then you would have received 2007 points. If the "unit" that you purchased was/will be completed after December 1, 2008, then you will not receive 2007 points.

So to clear my fuzzy head...

If I buy AKV now, with a December UY, I could get Dec. 2008 points, right? Since my unit would be complete/available before my UY begins.

If that is true that will seal the deal with my DH...:goodvibes

So to clear my fuzzy head...

If I buy AKV now, with a December UY, I could get Dec. 2008 points, right? Since my unit would be complete/available before my UY begins.

If that is true that will seal the deal with my DH...:goodvibes

If you are buying AKL direct from Disney, and they still have December UY points available, then yes, you would receive a set of points for December 08 since that is the UY we are in right now (Dec 08 points are good from Dec. 1, 2008 - Nov. 30, 2009).

I don't believe they can be used until May 1st, when Kidini opens, but you would get your full set of points immediately, plus the incentives, and then another set of points come Dec 1st of this year.

It was the same for BLT purchasers. Some got points for the Feb 09 UY, but can't use them until the resort opens in August.

Good luck!!

I am thinking of DVC resales for either SSR or OKW. I usually go in September after Labor Day. I was thinking 100.00 per point would be good. Alot of the contracts have August or other months. How would this work for me. I did see a 50.0 per contract but not many.

I am thinking of DVC resales for either SSR or OKW. I usually go in September after Labor Day. I was thinking 100.00 per point would be good. Alot of the contracts have August or other months. How would this work for me. I did see a 50.0 per contract but not many.

Yes, August would be a great UY for you if you travel around Labor Day. I think you mean you are looking at 100 point contracts, not paying $100.00 for each point.

SSR and OKW resales are passing ROFR around the high 60's, low 70's so I would not pay more than that for each point. SSR has lower MF"s than OKW and it's contract is longer (goes to 2054 vs. 2042--unless the OKW contract you are looking at is the extended version-then that will go to 2057--make sure you know which version it is).

You can find 50 point contract, but they do not come up that often and usually are picked up pretty quickly.

Good luck!

Do you get a choice in UY? I talked with a guide today, and he told me I can't get the current incentives if I choose December. He keeps pushing February UY even after I told him I think January is a very likely time for us to go in the future...

Can I ask what other UY are available? I am looking at AKV. I also mentioned October as a UY, but he skimmed over that. How firm do you have to be? :confused: I explained my thought about January but he kept saying I can just borrow from February, and if I don't have a trip booked for January then I can bank it, then borrow the next year's allotment if I change my mind and want a January trip.

Not sure I'm having the best luck with guides...:rolleyes1 I'm really not trying to be difficult, I'm just very thorough before I make a big purchase like this...

Do you get a choice in UY? I talked with a guide today, and he told me I can't get the current incentives if I choose December. He keeps pushing February UY even after I told him I think January is a very likely time for us to go in the future...

Can I ask what other UY are available? I am looking at AKV. I also mentioned October as a UY, but he skimmed over that. How firm do you have to be? :confused: I explained my thought about January but he kept saying I can just borrow from February, and if I don't have a trip booked for January then I can bank it, then borrow the next year's allotment if I change my mind and want a January trip.

Not sure I'm having the best luck with guides...:rolleyes1 I'm really not trying to be difficult, I'm just very thorough before I make a big purchase like this...

I would really push for the UY that you want. Borrowing points is difficult since once you borrow them, they can't go back. And, with a Feb UY, you would not have much time to use points from a January trip.

If they really won't let you have Dec, then I would at least say you want one of the fall ones (Sept or Oct). If your guide won't give you what you want, ask if you can talk to a manager to see if why you can't have the UY you want--unless it is sold out (and it doesn't sound like that is what you were told), I would really push for a UY that works for your travels.

DVC is expensive and being in a borrowing situation every year, to me, would not be a good thing.

I would really push for the UY that you want. Borrowing points is difficult since once you borrow them, they can't go back. And, with a Feb UY, you would not have much time to use points from a January trip.

If they really won't let you have Dec, then I would at least say you want one of the fall ones (Sept or Oct). If your guide won't give you what you want, ask if you can talk to a manager to see if why you can't have the UY you want--unless it is sold out (and it doesn't sound like that is what you were told), I would really push for a UY that works for your travels.

DVC is expensive and being in a borrowing situation every year, to me, would not be a good thing.

Thanks. I don't want to be stressed about keeping track of points, if I can pinpoint the months I think I am most likely to visit WDW (due to kids' school schedules) and keep it simple!

Tell him due to your travel plans you need a Dec use year and if they don't have it you'll buy resale, end of discussion. Oh, and you deserve any incentives as well. I'm guessing that they'll find you the right UY. You're the customer, the boss. Don't let them talk you into something you don't really want.

Good Luck :thumbsup2

I'm going to be getting information in the mail about DVC(VGC-Villas Grand California-not sure the abrreviation-very new) at GCH. When speaking with the "guide" (I think that's what they're called-again, very new) he mentioned I would have a June UY. Now, does that fall under receiving 08 and 09 points? or would I receive only 09 points in June?

If a family was traveling for Spring Break ( for us it's late march) or for Christmas/NYE ( we will always arrive after the 27th) Am i correct if December or February YU would be great?
Some years it might be NYE trip, some years it might be spring break - and once the children are grown, it would be Sept/Oct trips ( fall is my favorite time to go to WDW)
Can anyone expand on the when we would have to bank, or travel by dates for me? ~ I plan to print this post and keep it on file to refer to later this year.
I am really having a hard time getting the "deadlines" straight - i understand there is a timeframe to cancel and i want to be clear on that so we do not end up losing points ( spur of the moment trips to quickly use up left over
points is not an option for us)
thank you

Tina

Tina,

I completely understand. I am having a very hard time getting it too. I have had several people explain it to me and I still feel "DUH" about the whole thing.

We have been given a Feb YU, so I hope this is ok for us.

If a family was traveling for Spring Break ( for us it's late march) or for Christmas/NYE ( we will always arrive after the 27th) Am i correct if December or February YU would be great?
Some years it might be NYE trip, some years it might be spring break - and once the children are grown, it would be Sept/Oct trips ( fall is my favorite time to go to WDW)
Can anyone expand on the when we would have to bank, or travel by dates for me? ~ I plan to print this post and keep it on file to refer to later this year.
I am really having a hard time getting the "deadlines" straight - i understand there is a timeframe to cancel and i want to be clear on that so we do not end up losing points ( spur of the moment trips to quickly use up left over
thank you

Tina

I'm going to be getting information in the mail about DVC(VGC-Villas Grand California-not sure the abrreviation-very new) at GCH. When speaking with the "guide" (I think that's what they're called-again, very new) he mentioned I would have a June UY. Now, does that fall under receiving 08 and 09 points? or would I receive only 09 points in June?

VGC is not open yet - which means that 2008 UY points most likely don't even exist.

Lets see if i've got this right now ( bound and determined to understand this YU stuff LOL)
trying to tie down if Feb YU is best for us.
assuming we are buying in in December this year ( 2009)
i would like our first trip home to be from December 28th, 2010 until
January 2, 2011. always staying at our home resort, BLT.
we will either buy 175 pts or 200 points, to make sure we have enough points every other year.

if my family had a Feb YU,
my current points are good from then ( purchase day) until 1/31/2010.
I would bank the 09 points, and then 3 months later, ( 2/1/2010) we would get current points. the banked points and the current points would then be in our acct, we would call on January 28th, 2010 to make our resservation ( exactly 11 mths)
*** when is the last date to bank points with a feb YU?

Edited: looking at the point charts on DVC news, we would use 317 points ( 3 weeknights in premier season, 1 weekend night in premier, and 1 weekeknd night in adventure season) So the minimum buy in, 160 points would be right on target. ( we would stay week long stays in March, 297 pts for a LV room - again right on target for every other year stay with 320 points allowance)

if we traveled in March, we would do the same, except we would be close on the cancellation window if something were to come up. ( expected travel dates of the last week of March )

so, have i got the jist of it? :wizard:

Tina

The other thing about the VGC, you can't start making reservations for VGC till June when your use year starts and you can't book at your home resort until after Nov 30th when they are set to be complete. That is not how it normally works when you buy into DVC, it is just that this property is not done being built yet.

thank you

Tina
Misty - A February use year would not work very well for your December trips. With a February use year, your banking deadline is the following September 30. So if you canceled the December trip after Sept 30, you could not bank the points. They would have to be used by January 31 or they would expire.

Ideally, you want a use year that begins up to 6 or 7 months before your usual travel schedule.

Given what you have described, February, December and Sept/Oct trips, I would choose either August or September for your use year. June would also work. There is no July use year.

For example, with an August use year, your banking deadline is the following March 31. So with an August use year:

1. Your 2009 use year points are for trips between 8/1/2009 and 7/31/2010. Let's say you scheduled trips for September 2009, October 2009, December 2009 and February 2010. Assuming you have enough points for all that, LOL, all of the trips would be booked with points from your 2009 use year.

2. If you had to cancel any of those trips (assuming canceled at least 31 days prior to arrival), the points from the canceled reservation just go back into your account. Since the banking deadline for your 2009 points would be March 31, 2010, there is no problem if you wanted to bank them after the cancellation.

3. If you bank 2009 use year points, they go into the 2010 use year. 2010 use year goes from 8/1/2010 - 7/31/2011. If you don't use the banked points before 7/31/2011, they expire.

Hope that helps a bit. Ask another question if you need more help.

Misty - A February use year would not work very well for your December trips. With a February use year, your banking deadline is the following September 30. So if you canceled the December trip after Sept 30, you could not bank the points. They would have to be used by January 31 or they would expire.

Ideally, you want a use year that begins up to 6 or 7 months before your usual travel schedule.

Given what you have described, February, December and Sept/Oct trips, I would choose either August or September for your use year. June would also work. There is no July use year.

For example, with an August use year, your banking deadline is the following March 31. So with an August use year:

1. Your 2009 use year points are for trips between 8/1/2009 and 7/31/2010. Let's say you scheduled trips for September 2009, October 2009, December 2009 and February 2010. Assuming you have enough points for all that, LOL, all of the trips would be booked with points from your 2009 use year.

2. If you had to cancel any of those trips (assuming canceled at least 31 days prior to arrival), the points from the canceled reservation just go back into your account. Since the banking deadline for your 2009 points would be March 31, 2010, there is no problem if you wanted to bank them after the cancellation.

3. If you bank 2009 use year points, they go into the 2010 use year. 2010 use year goes from 8/1/2010 - 7/31/2011. If you don't use the banked points before 7/31/2011, they expire.

Hope that helps a bit. Ask another question if you need more help.

Misty...I was just getting ready to post this same advice and agree with Carol. Given you travel dates, August would work very well for you in terms of UY. All of your prospective travel dates fall in the 8 month banking window.

Any cancellations you have to do at least 31 days in advance would happen in time so that you can still bank and not lose those points!

Good luck!!!

Lets see if i've got this right now ( bound and determined to understand this YU stuff LOL)
trying to tie down if Feb YU is best for us.

i think what we have here is failure to communicate...;)

here is the sentence from the first page that i think you still need to let sink in:

"Remember, use year has nothing to do with when you may call to make a reservation."

even if you buy a resale with a dec UY and no points coming until dec 2011, you can book dec 2010 by calling in jan 2010 and borrowing the 2011 pts. there is just no relationship between UY month and when you can call to book...

i'm sorry that i'm not explaining this better, but let me say this again:

if you would be traveling over christmas vacation through spring break and summer (i.e. virtually never traveling sept through november), just tell the guide you want a december UY. that's probably best for your situation.

(a feb UY would be a poor choice if you plan on regularly traveling in late dec through january).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter