Understanding Use Year - Updated March 10, 2019

becauseimnew

Planner-aholic
Help me:
Usual travel months: May, June, October & November. Preferred month is October, although it was becoming way too crowded. We really enjoyed early May, even with all the rain.
I’m thinking October UY might be the best option? Or Maybe April?

Thoughts??

chalee94

DIS Veteran
October is good as long as you don't start a trip at the end of Sept. April may be safer overall if you plan to avoid Jan-March stays.

KAT4DISNEY

Glad to be a test subject
Help me:
Usual travel months: May, June, October & November. Preferred month is October, although it was becoming way too crowded. We really enjoyed early May, even with all the rain.

Thoughts??
I'd put April first (banking deadline of Nov 30th) and Oct (May 31 banking deadline) similar to a March UY (Oct 31 banking deadline)

• striker1064

DIS Veteran
    Help me:

Thoughts??
    Agreed with April, since you like to travel in June an Oct UY puts you past the banking deadline (May 31) so there's some risk.

When 2 UYs are possible I would suggest thinking of the in-between months. October is better if you would travel after April UY banking deadline (Nov 30) - so December through March. April is better if you would travel after Oct UY banking deadline (May 31) - so June through September. Since you mentioned June, April is better.

becauseimnew

Planner-aholic
    I'd put April first (banking deadline of Nov 30th) and Oct (May 31 banking deadline) similar to a March UY (Oct 31 banking deadline)
    Thank you.
    Agreed with April, since you like to travel in June an Oct UY puts you past the banking deadline (May 31) so there's some risk.

When 2 UYs are possible I would suggest thinking of the in-between months. October is better if you would travel after April UY banking deadline (Nov 30) - so December through March. April is better if you would travel after Oct UY banking deadline (May 31) - so June through September. Since you mentioned June, April is better.
    Thank you, I wish I would have asked earlier. I was waiting for the perfect October BRV contract and passed up on an April contract. Oh well, now I know.
    Thanks for the detailed explanation.

glamdring269

DIS Veteran
    I've been debating April as a potential UY for us. It's not the best of the bunch but wanted to see if you all agree with my logic

Most likely travel times (in order):
    October
    December
    May-Sep

Least Likely:
    Jan-Mar

I guess my logic here is that if I had April it should be ok. The banking window would be end of November. If I don't know by then that I'm going to have to cancel a December trip then I'd get stuck in holding anyway.

Fully understand that April is not the optimal UY but just wanted to get a quick logic check. Always appreciate other perspectives!

KAT4DISNEY

I've been debating April as a potential UY for us. It's not the best of the bunch but wanted to see if you all agree with my logic

Most likely travel times (in order):
    October
    December
    May-Sep

Least Likely:
    Jan-Mar

I guess my logic here is that if I had April it should be ok. The banking window would be end of November. If I don't know by then that I'm going to have to cancel a December trip then I'd get stuck in holding anyway.

Fully understand that April is not the optimal UY but just wanted to get a quick logic check. Always appreciate other perspectives!
    Makes sense to me!

Mommyof3boys2017

Earning My Ears
    Trying to figure this all out, and I think I have it, but not quite sure. We've gone twice in the fall. Once over labor day (deal was too good to pass up, but I will never go that early again, way too hot for my Ohio blood) and once in October, which was wonderful. I am planning a trip for February to see if that's a good slow time, where we won't melt and hopefully lower crowds (lol). Would getting a Feb UY work well for both Feb/Oct/Nov dates or would an October UY be better to avoid the summer? I don't think we'll ever go in the summer, but the rest of the year is a maybe.

KAT4DISNEY

Trying to figure this all out, and I think I have it, but not quite sure. We've gone twice in the fall. Once over labor day (deal was too good to pass up, but I will never go that early again, way too hot for my Ohio blood) and once in October, which was wonderful. I am planning a trip for February to see if that's a good slow time, where we won't melt and hopefully lower crowds (lol). Would getting a Feb UY work well for both Feb/Oct/Nov dates or would an October UY be better to avoid the summer? I don't think we'll ever go in the summer, but the rest of the year is a maybe.
    A February UY has a banking deadline of Sept 30 so it's not good for late fall trips in Oct and Nov. Sept or Oct UY's would be best for Oct/Nov/Feb trips. Even August would not be bad if you want to widen the search for contracts.

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES

Subscribe to the DVCstore.com
    mailing list!

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.