Understanding Use Year - Updated February 10, 2021

DH and I are looking at purchasing DVC direct. We have historically traveled between mid Feb or mid March and between last week of Sept, Mid Oct or first part of Thanksgiving week. I can't figure out what would be the best UY for us. I don't plan on ever having to cancel a trip but life can have a funny way of not caring about our plans :)

DH and I are looking at purchasing DVC direct. We have historically traveled between mid Feb or mid March and between last week of Sept, Mid Oct or first part of Thanksgiving week. I can't figure out what would be the best UY for us. I don't plan on ever having to cancel a trip but life can have a funny way of not caring about our plans :)

I'd say September as that would cover all of the months that you typically travel (Sept-April would all be safe if you had to cancel and bank points).

I'd say September as that would cover all of the months that you typically travel (Sept-April would all be safe if you had to cancel and bank points).

Thank you so much. If I understand correctly, on a Sept UY points would need to be banked by end of May?

Thank you so much for writing this explanation, CarolNM! I have printed it out for reference, once I get my points and make my 1st reservation.

Thank you so much for writing this explanation, CarolNM! I have printed it out for reference, once I get my points and make my 1st reservation.
Congratulations and welcome home!

I noticed this thread is 2+ years old. Appears to be time to get serious about updating the examples. :teeth:

Thanks Carol, this was really helpful but we got caught by a scenario that contradicts the statement that UY only matters if you cancel a reservation.

I read the thread, and followed the advice to buy a UY that was within 7 or 8 months of our regular travel date of August. I looked for an August or June UY but couldn't find one that matched our criteria so snapped up a March UY.

All good. However, there is a scenario we didn't initially consider where an August UY would have worked much better irrespective of whether we cancel the reservation or not. We will be banking some points in 2020 to 2021. We want to travel to Hawaii in May 2022, and aren't staying at DVC in 2020 or 2021. We can't use the banked points from 2020 as the March UY ends 28/02/22. If we had a June or August UY we would be golden.

I know it's not a scenario that happens a lot, but I wanted to draw attention to it so future newbie buyers don't make our rookie mistake. UY only matters if you cancel a reservation AND need the banked points to run into the next calendar year. It's probably obvious to seasoned DVC members but the mechanics only really become apparent when you dig into the weeds.

Always remember u could always rent out your DVC points for cash to use towards your trip

Thanks Carol, this was really helpful but we got caught by a scenario that contradicts the statement that UY only matters if you cancel a reservation.

I read the thread, and followed the advice to buy a UY that was within 7 or 8 months of our regular travel date of August. I looked for an August or June UY but couldn't find one that matched our criteria so snapped up a March UY.

All good. However, there is a scenario we didn't initially consider where an August UY would have worked much better irrespective of whether we cancel the reservation or not. We will be banking some points in 2020 to 2021. We want to travel to Hawaii in May 2022, and aren't staying at DVC in 2020 or 2021. We can't use the banked points from 2020 as the March UY ends 28/02/22. If we had a June or August UY we would be golden.

I know it's not a scenario that happens a lot, but I wanted to draw attention to it so future newbie buyers don't make our rookie mistake. UY only matters if you cancel a reservation AND need the banked points to run into the next calendar year. It's probably obvious to seasoned DVC members but the mechanics only really become apparent when you dig into the weeds.

That's more the mechanics of vacations you take and points you have remaining. Skipping 2 years of DVC travel will very possibly mean there's a year that points can't be used. To remind - the best UY is about giving a sort of free insurance against last minute cancellations. A May trip with an August UY would not have that.

I get where you are coming from in regards to risk, and yes that would be high risk, but I guess always paying cash previously, I've had a mindset that if we had to cancel last minute we would lose most of, if not all of our flights and accommodation costs. Fortunately we've never had to cancel, but never say never I guess.

As we are in the UK we are less likely to visit every year, and possibly, like in the Hawaii special event scenario, maybe every 3 years. Our school hols are May and August so being able to have more points available from 2 years prior would work for us, insurance or no insurance. It might not be everyone's scenario but it does impact the use year for us.

Last edited:
I get where you are coming from in regards to risk, and yes that would be high risk, but I guess always paying cash previously, I've had a mindset that if we had to cancel last minute we would lose most of, if not all of our flights and accommodation costs. Fortunately we've never had to cancel, but never say never I guess.

As we are in the UK we are less likely to visit every year, and possibly, like in the Hawaii special event scenario, maybe every 3 years. Our school hols are May and August so being able to have points available from 2 years prior would work for us, insurance or no insurance. It might not be everyone's scenario but it does impact the use year for us.
With May and August being your usual travel periods, a March UY is actually a very good choice. I think that what you're getting hung up on is the fact that you will not be able to use your 2020 UY's points for that one vacation that falls in your 2022 UY. You can still bank 2021's points, use the 2022 points and then borrow from 2023 to make that trip happen.

Yeah that would be the plan and then rent the left-over 2020 points. I just wanted to not have to borrow as many points from 2023, as we really want to go back to Disney in 2023. It will have been 4 years since we visited the mouse, not counting the hula mouse of course

I guess it will be irrelevant as we'll have topped up another 3 contracts by then anyway :)

Updated thread with current examples. :) Let me know if there are any typos/errors. I've only had one cup of coffee this morning! :surfweb::coffee::goodvibes

Thanks for maintaining this thread. Unfortunately it looks to me that you need to check the years in the update - e.g. at one point you state that if 2019 points won’t be used by 9/30/19 they need to be banked.... And the title of the thread says it was updated in 2020....

Thank you! I fixed the title & reread the post - think I fixed everything. If you have time, please check again for me. Thanks.

Thank you! I fixed the title & reread the post - think I fixed everything. If you have time, please check again for me. Thanks.

Just read it very carefully, and those pesky dates seem to be correct! Thanks for updating this thread - I think it’s very clear!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!