Underwhelmed by 10/3 Moonlight Madness at Hollywood Studios

5lilfish

DIS Veteran
First, let me say, the event was free. I certainly didn’t go into it feeling like I was owed anything. To that respect, it was fine. It gave us a few later evening extra hours in the park. If it was offered again, as a free DVC event, I would do it again. It wouldn’t inspire me to plan a trip around it and I definitely wouldn’t pay extra for it.

Lines weren’t any better than during the day. In a few cases the lines were actually worse. The Ice cream was a nice touch. A non dairy choice would have helped my party. I didn’t really find that there was anything special or extra to the event (minus the meal voucher and ice cream). I kind of had in my head that there might be more characters around. Not that this is a huge deal since we were a party of 2 adults, but I didn’t actually see any characters out (I’m sure they had the ones in the actual set up zones, but nothing really extra). I don’t know...I mean, like I said, it was free and I am not trying to sound entitled or ungrateful but I just didn’t think there was really much to the event.

Jess

Last edited:
While the events are nice, it's more about using the events as a marketing tool to convince people to buy direct. We attended the Epcot party and we were underwhelmed also. The MK party was better IMO.

:earsboy: Bill

Count me as underwhelmed, as well. It was OK and all but not nearly as special as I thought it would be. If I had a trip already planned and got a reservation, I guess I would do it again but don't think I would making any extraordinary plans otherwise.

I went to Epcot event, though,and I'm thinking MK might be better.

Sorry you didn't have a good time. We really enjoyed to one we went to on 9/19. Lines were much shorter that during the day for us but maybe that is because we went to Toy Story last - latter in the evening. It was good because we ate at some different places than we would have normally tried. We too were two adults so didn't really look for the characters. So I guess it is all what you expect or want it to be.

Sorry to hear that! We had a great time. We used our vouchers at Backlot, met Oswald (30 min / uber rare), grabbed a mickey bar, rode TSM (less than 10 min), rode SDD (18 min), and purchased a DVC version of the game of Life for $15 with a $30 purchase (a steal for this type of an event, if you ask me). We ended up purchasing a MM T-shirt & coke.

I wished we had experienced the private showing of Fantasmic, however, a dis-friend texted me a picture. We also wanted to watch Movie Magic, but were ready to go by 11 pm. Being the only ones on the bus back to CSR made it even better.

Btw: there were frozen fruit bars available, as well.

None of the stands we went to had frozen fruit bars.

I didn’t say that we didn’t have a good time. I just said that it we didn’t feel it was anything special.

The Slinky ride wait never dropped below 65 minutes the whole time we were there. Toy Story Mania was a 50 minute wait. We did get right on to Tower of Terror, but we also got right on to that ride 3 times during the regular hours on this trip. I guess I don’t see being able to purchase a game for what basically amounts to $45 a perk.

I’m glad you enjoyed the night. We did too...but it wasn’t something we found worth any hype. If we are going to be at WDW when another event is held, we would go. I wouldn’t plan a trip for it though. I wouldn’t pay extra for it (which isn’t an issue so far since it is currently free) and I wouldn’t stress out if we got shut out of getting tickets.

Jess

Sorry to hear that! We had a great time. We used our vouchers at Backlot, met Oswald (30 min / uber rare), grabbed a mickey bar, rode TSM (less than 10 min), rode SDD (18 min), and purchased a DVC version of the game of Life for $15 with a $30 purchase (a steal for this type of an event, if you ask me). We ended up purchasing a MM T-shirt & coke.

I wished we had experienced the private showing of Fantasmic, however, a dis-friend texted me a picture. We also wanted to watch Movie Magic, but were ready to go by 11 pm. Being the only ones on the bus back to CSR made it even better.

Btw: there were frozen fruit bars available, as well.

I didn’t say that we didn’t have a good time. I just said that it we didn’t feel it was anything special.

The Slinky ride wait never dropped below 65 minutes the whole time we were there. Toy Story Mania was a 50 minute wait. We did get right on to Tower of Terror, but we also got right on to that ride 3 times during the regular hours on this trip. I guess I don’t see being able to purchase a game for what basically amounts to $45 a perk.

I’m glad you enjoyed the night. We did too...but it wasn’t something we found worth any hype. If we are going to be at WDW when another event is held, we would go. I wouldn’t plan a trip for it though. I wouldn’t pay extra for it (which isn’t an issue so far since it is currently free) and I wouldn’t stress out if we got shut out of getting tickets.

Jess

I never said you didn’t have a good time, the poster above me did. Again, I’m sorry to hear that you felt underwhelmed.

The posted wait times were wrong. Slinky listed a 40 min wait, actual was 18 min. This was at approximately 10:30 pm. The fruit bars were an alternative, otherwise we automatically received Mickey Bars.

For characters they had captain phasma, Darth Vader, Rey, 7th sister, and ewoks which are all rare characters to meet. I guess if you are not in to Star Wars it’s not a big deal but we are huge fans so that was a treat.

We rode every ride and met every character (minus Oswald and clarabelle as we had met them previously) between 7 and 12 and we didn’t really rush. We thought the wait times were great. 20 min for TSM and about 25min-ish for slinky dog.

We had a great time. We didn’t do park tickets this time around as we stayed a few nights post cruise. We got in free with a dinner and light crowds. 1 day at Hollywood Studios for our family of 4 would have cost us over 400$ Plus the 60$ for dinner. We were greatful for the opportunity to visit and see Toy story Land and a night in the park for free.

FWIW, we "built" a trip around the 10/3 Moonlight Madness event (traveling from San Diego) and had a blast. We pre-purchased MNSSHP tickets for the following evening and then made a very last-minute decision to add APs so we could visit F&W, the Member Lounge at Epcot (our first-ever visit), meet up with friends and more. Personally, I feel we "over did" things this trip ... just having the Moonlight Magic event and MNSSHP would have been plenty of park time for us.

We were able to find both the lactose-free fruit bars and, later, the sugar-free variety. The meal voucher was extremely welcome, we got to experience the new Toy Story Land (something I wouldn't have done for its own merit), ride RNRRC (2x), Star Tours (2x), ToT (2x), get great seats for Fantasmic!, wear our special DVC lanyards and spend a few moments chatting with a new member of the Marketing team. All fun stuff ... loved it.

We had a blast at the Moonlight Magic night. We were a party of 3 adults and 5 teenagers. The lines seemed much shorter than usual for us. The meal voucher was really appreciated and the Mickey bars were tasty!!

I went on 9/25. I was there primarily for the rare characters. I enjoyed them. I also enjoyed the free meal and the Mickey Bars. I rode Star Tours and Tower of Terror just before the event actually started.

I didn't get to ride SDD - the characters took up all of my time. I was able to get into Passholder Playtime booked a couple days later so was able to ride SDD then.

Overall - I enjoyed the event. Not sure if I would book a trip around attempting to do get in but it was great add on for a trip I already had booked.

We were there for one at AK, and were really underwhelmed as well. As you said, its free...

I had a good time on 9/26. I wanted to meet Bolt and the Ewoks, so we did that..... Also met Clarabelle and Horace. After that, and eating dinner, we went to some rides. Lines were average in TS land, but around 11:30 we went to ToT and me and my son had our own elevator. So no lines there, obviously.

Nice event, but not worth planning an entire trip around it, we were already there on a short trip to see Sugar Ray.

We were there 10/3 as well. Slinky dog wait was advertised as 40, but actually 18 minutes (I timed it)! RnRC and ToT were walk ons. Dinner was free, with lots of selections from counter service restaurants. Free mickey bars. Very manageable crowds walking around. We enjoyed it, but did not stay too long. The only disappointment for me (as a fireworks junkie) was no special MM fireworks show. The MK one was excellent, and I guess it set the bar way to high for me. I agree with above posters - not enough to plan an entire trip around... we just happened to be there, so it worked out, and we had a very nice time.

MM is a nice extra and I'd rather have it than not. As others have stated, planning a trip around a MM event just to have a few free hours in a park doesn't seem worth it though. It is a free perk and nobody is required to attend so for those who prefer their crowds during the regular park hours, the option of purchasing a ticket to the parks is available. Full disclosure, I have attended one of the events and though I could probably nit pick a few things that could have been better, for the most part we did enjoy it.

Jess

One thing I learned from reading about the first one is that the wait times are not that accurate. While the park was still open we did ToT with a FP, we were done by 8 so technically the lines were closed but I wanted to wait a bit before heading over to Toy Story stuff. First we ate at Backlot (which was super crowded but I expected that) and then got in line for the Ewoks right when they came out. Maybe a 5 minute wait there. Then we got in line for Slinky and waited maybe 20-25 minutes with a posted wait of 45. Then Aliens for about 20-25 minutes with a posted time of 45 (at least they were running both sides) and Midway Mania was like a walk on but I don't recall the actual or posted wait times. I simply enjoyed it because we could not get a FP for the Toy Story rides or easily fit HS in our plans during a short trip. After those we did ToT and RnRC a couple times before getting some ice cream and leaving. We didn't stay until midnight but we still had a good time. I think it was nice for what it was.

We had gone to one at Epcot last Dec. The fire works were great. Mickey bars were good, once we found them. We saw people with them but had trouble finding the carts. LOL

The line for frozen was snaking out the country down the path, around the bend, etc....I wish I had taken a picture of where it ended.

The hot dogs and chips were free , that's about about the best I could say about them. Taste like a barely warm boiled hot dog. Had trouble finding a place to eat.

I do wish someday we get to do one at MK. I would think with more rides it would be better.

Again it was free.

We were lucky enough to get the MK one, when staying off site last January or was it February? I digress, we took my sister and brother in law, who had never been to MK. It was wonderful, but I felt sister-in-law was underwhelmed?!?! Really...oh well, it was a bonus to take them for us, while they were visiting.

I thought the fireworks were very nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter