Unintended Benifits of DVC Ownership

tami.grantasl

Earning My Ears
I just finished reading Pete's post on the unintended benefits of being a DVC owner. I took some time to really think about my thoughts and my feelings and not everyone would understand them but I think some people here will get it! (warning its about to get long and mushy up in this post)
I came from VERY humble backgrounds, was homeless for awhile as a child, was hospitalized for malnutrition, child of mentally ill single mom, you get the picture. As an adult my husband left me and my three children and emptied my bank account on the way out. Disney was for the "other people" the people with normal lives, the people who were not me!
I worked my rear end off in two jobs and then one day I won an award that would change my life so to speak and definitely changed the life of at least one of my children. I won Interpreter of the Year for the company I work for (ASL interpreter/teacher here) My prize was a trip voucher for 3000.00 and I decided to take a once in a lifetime trip to Disney World. My kids and I two of them now in college and one still in HS had such a good time. I watched as my son's eyes lit up as we watched festival of fantasy and he said "I want to do this someday" I realized I had come a long way and worked hard to get there. I also realized that trip that DW had a bubble and vowed the next time I came, and I would come again, I wanted to stay on property. I saved and was able to help send my daughter on a honeymoon to DW and on a cruise and she came back with rave reviews about staying on property. My son graduated from HS made it through one semester of college and applied for the DCP. Of course I had to go visit him right? We stayed in the cabins and used the dining plan for the first time. The amount of stress saved for a person like me who even though finances have changed for me, still worries constantly about not having enough money, is worth EVERY penny of the dining plan. A prepaid vacation is a lifesaver for people like me!
My son came home, missed the Mouse and went back again to chase his dreams. I started to realize that maybe DVC was for me, maybe just maybe I could be one of those people. I didn't want to go into debt for it though, I had worked to hard to buy my first house and dig myself out of the whole I was dropped in by my ex. But, then something amazing happened my house value went up so when I sold my first house for something that could hold a multi generational family I had enough to buy points!! I bought resale points after listening to Pete's DVC podcasts and then when I went to see my son a month ago I bought direct. I haven't even stayed at DVC yet, my first trip isn't until February. However, my perks were immediate this last trip. I did the WAVE dinner package with Top of the World, I went to the EPCOT lounge, I used my discount, my magic band turned the Mickey purple.
Now that I've bored you with my life story lets get to the real value of those benefits. I stood at the Top of the World watching not the fireworks, but watching the faces of my daughter and her husband and their young son, my own son's smile, my oldest daughter and her fiancée staring across while the fireworks left splashes of color on their faces and I cried. I cried because the happiness I saw, the happiness I felt and knowing that they would never know how it feels to go to bed hungry, that they would never know what it was like to watch everyone around you go on vacations but never go yourself. I cried because DVC and Disney has afforded me the opportunity to help us make memories as a family, new memories that don't include the times we had to scrape together coins to buy gas or pencils for school. It has given me a moment to realize that just like Tianna hard work will pay of for me, but also a little bit of pixie dust can help that dream along. DVC and Disney has helped them remember the belief in fairy tales and more importantly in our own Happily Ever After!
What are your unintended benefits to DVC ownership/Disney fanship?

Last edited:
Yours is a great story of perspective. A perspective many here in the US have never known. Enjoy the fruits of your hard work and most of all your family.

Congratulations and Welcome Home! This is a perfect example that we are truly blessed to live in this country that affords each one of us the opportunity to achieve our dreams and goals if we are willing to put in the hard work and effort required. GBA! 🇺🇸

All I can say is God bless America and God bless Disney! Thank you for sharing your story! I had a similar moment at the TOTW fireworks with my family...thinking these memories are really special.

I come from a similar background (complete with single mom with bipolar disorder). Long story longer, I moved out when I was 15. Between my junior and senior year of high school and living on my own with no clear picture of the future, I decided to join the Army (one of the best decisions I ever made).

Fast forward many years later I met my future wife. After a few months of dating our first vacation together was a trip to WDW where we stayed offsite. I remember riding the monorail through the Contemporary and watching people with their families at Chef Mickeys and thinking that would be so cool one day, but never in a million years dreamed it would come to fruition.

Fast forward many more years of college alongside full-time employment, a couple of career changes, but a solid relationship with my now wife of 18 years and beautiful DDs 6 and 3, we were able to buy at BLT and made it our first home away from home. The first time I was able to take my family to Chef Mickeys with that walk across the walkway was surreal. I too have had the moments of complete satisfaction watching my family enjoy the fruits of many years of hard work.

We are now just about 100 days from staying at BWV where we just added on a few months ago. We already have good memories from a BCV we stayed on rental points a while back. I can't wait for the memories we'll make at BWV too.

I love to read these success stories. Thank you for sharing yours. God bless America and Disney indeed!! Welcome Home. :)

I just finished reading Pete's post on the unintended benefits of being a DVC owner. I took some time to really think about my thoughts and my feelings and not everyone would understand them but I think some people here will get it! (warning its about to get long and mushy up in this post)
I came from VERY humble backgrounds, was homeless for awhile as a child, was hospitalized for malnutrition, child of mentally ill single mom, you get the picture. As an adult my husband left me and my three children and emptied my bank account on the way out. Disney was for the "other people" the people with normal lives, the people who were not me!
I worked my rear end off in two jobs and then one day I won an award that would change my life so to speak and definitely changed the life of at least one of my children. I won Interpreter of the Year for the company I work for (ASL interpreter/teacher here) My prize was a trip voucher for 3000.00 and I decided to take a once in a lifetime trip to Disney World. My kids and I two of them now in college and one still in HS had such a good time. I watched as my son's eyes lit up as we watched festival of fantasy and he said "I want to do this someday" I realized I had come a long way and worked hard to get there. I also realized that trip that DW had a bubble and vowed the next time I came, and I would come again, I wanted to stay on property. I saved and was able to help send my daughter on a honeymoon to DW and on a cruise and she came back with rave reviews about staying on property. My son graduated from HS made it through one semester of college and applied for the DCP. Of course I had to go visit him right? We stayed in the cabins and used the dining plan for the first time. The amount of stress saved for a person like me who even though finances have changed for me, still worries constantly about not having enough money, is worth EVERY penny of the dining plan. A prepaid vacation is a lifesaver for people like me!
My son came home, missed the Mouse and went back again to chase his dreams. I started to realize that maybe DVC was for me, maybe just maybe I could be one of those people. I didn't want to go into debt for it though, I had worked to hard to buy my first house and dig myself out of the whole I was dropped in by my ex. But, then something amazing happened my house value went up so when I sold my first house for something that could hold a multi generational family I had enough to buy points!! I bought resale points after listening to Pete's DVC podcasts and then when I went to see my son a month ago I bought direct. I haven't even stayed at DVC yet, my first trip isn't until February. However, my perks were immediate this last trip. I did the WAVE dinner package with Top of the World, I went to the EPCOT lounge, I used my discount, my magic band turned the Mickey purple.
Now that I've bored you with my life story lets get to the real value of those benefits. I stood at the Top of the World watching not the fireworks, but watching the faces of my daughter and her husband and their young son, my own son's smile, my oldest daughter and her fiancée staring across while the fireworks left splashes of color on their faces and I cried. I cried because the happiness I saw, the happiness I felt and knowing that they would never know how it feels to go to bed hungry, that they would never know what it was like to watch everyone around you go on vacations but never go yourself. I cried because DVC and Disney has afforded me the opportunity to help us make memories as a family, new memories that don't include the times we had to scrape together coins to buy gas or pencils for school. It has given me a moment to realize that just like Tianna hard work will pay of for me, but also a little bit of pixie dust can help that dream along. DVC and Disney has helped them remember the belief in fairy tales and more importantly in our own Happily Ever After!
What are your unintended benefits to DVC ownership/Disney fanship?
Wonderful life story and achievement; thanks for sharing!

It’s so nice reading about two new DVCers and how excited they are to be owners. I remember that feeling over 20 years ago and am not somewhat curmudgeonly about Disney and DVC. Thank you for reminding me of the magic.

Loved your story, and it is somewhat similar to my own with 1 less child. Single mom of 2 kids (one that spent the first 7 years in and out of the hospital) and I do know exactly how you felt the first time I was able to take them to DW after scrimping and saving. My children are now in University (One starting law school in the fall! woohoo!) and they have learned the value of hard earned money but also the value of time together as a family, and Disney is our happy place. We (DD and I) just bought DVC at Copper Creek in November and it means many more trips together as a family because I am seriously not ready for an empty nest. LOL
One of my favorite lines from your story was about the dining plan. I know exactly how you feel but sometimes it's hard to explain on here. When you are used to worrying about every dollar, the prepaid value is priceless (at least for me!)
Now in my case it is God bless Canada, but since I am neighbourly, I will also say God bless America as well and God bless Disney! :hug:

:cheer2:

Thank you for sharing your story. I teared up reading it. Unintentional DVC perk, is the pride in knowing you own a piece of Disney. Also being able to give your family so many great memories for years to come. I love being able to affordably stay at Deluxe resorts... we would not stay at if we had to pay out of pocket. I love being welcomed with Welcome Home... that always gives me a smile and a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

WOW.... That was beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing.

My road to DVC was 20 years in the making. My first trip to Disney that I remember was when I was 10. However, it was a once in a lifetime for my family. Not because my parents couldn't afford it, but because they generally didn't take me (the 3rd child) on vacation. When I turned 14, my parents got a divorce and shipped me off to boarding school. After that time, I never really saw another dime from them other then tuition (and for that, I am grateful since at least I had an education and no student debt). I worked hard in my 20's as a new husband with a new family and managed to bring my family to Disney once. Then my wife walked out on me. What was a single guy depressed and alone to do? Go to Disney of course. I remember the sense of peace if brought me... knowing that everything would turn out okay. There is magic there if you know where to look and open your heart. Still, at that time I was not in a position to get DVC. Still I scrapped money every few years when I was single and I needed a little magic, and every time Disney would give me that boost and I went home knowing that things would be okay. They always were. For me - Disney was an attitude adjuster. :-) Many years later, I went again with my girlfriend. Since she was asleep, I sat and talked to a DVC rep. We were there for a while so had some time, but I remember telling the rep that my girlfriend had so much she wanted to do and I didn't have the time for the tour. He told me "what if I told you that I can magically make more time in the day for you?" I laughed and told him that even Disney didn't have that kind of magic. That's when he told me about the magical fast passes he had (at that time there were no blocked rides and they were handing them out like candy). Give him an hour and he would give me 3 back. Well... okay! We were hooked after the talking to the guide and I flew home a member.

As for your unintended benefits.... that is why I am so devoted to DVC. As I said above - Disney has brought me peace in times of turmoil. I have gone there several times alone, when I needed it most. Being a DVC member has allowed me to share that. I have many friends with family and kids that when we talk about Disney they always say "it sounds great, but I can't afford it". I look for time when I can and say to them "what if you didn't have to pay for the hotel? Just get your family there, pay for tickets and food? Oh... and food? we can cook breakfast and dinner, so it's really only lunch that's expensive". Suddenly they go "wellll.... I could probably afford THAT. However I could never accept you paying for the hotel for me". In which I have a long conversation where I convince them that it's free for me (it's not really, but don't tell them that). I go with them. I am their guide. Most importantly, I get to see Disney through the eyes of their little kids. It never ceases to be magical.

DVC also allowed my wife (above girlfriend) to take her mother to Hawaii before she died of lung cancer. A vacation we would never have afforded alone.

DVC lets me share Disney with others in a way that no one would accept if it were cash. Sharing Disney beings me joy, peace and magic. That is something that money literally couldn't buy (because they would never accept it).

Thank you for sharing your story. I teared up also. I am also looking forward to the TOTW Fireworks next month. First time stay as owners. We have 4 kids and 6 grandchildren and we look forward to many more years of memories.

Thank you for sharing. Such an inspirational story.

For me, DVC was a way to treat my extended families. I would have never been able to do this without DVC. Growing up in another country, we were poor. I remembered watching something about Mickey Mouse Club and Disneyland on TV when I was 5 or 6. I was fixated. My dad saved his lunch money for weeks to get me a pair of Mickey ears for my birthday that year. (They didn't sell those in my country back then, so I'm sure it's super expensive to find / order one). Yes, I also thought back then I was never going to be 'one of those people' who gets to go to Disney, ever.

Long story short, I studied hard, got into US college, worked hard at my jobs, immigrated here. Me and DH honeymooned in WDW, thinking that would be our once in a lifetime thing. We were introduced to DVC that trip. Crunched some numbers and later bought. I knew that vacation clubs were not designed to save us money. However, DVC is the only way to allow me to budget and treat large groups of people to WDW every few years. We had since invited friends, both sides of families to WDW, visited HK and Tokyo Disney, Hiltons Head, Hawaii..etc. To be able to see my parents' faces when they saw the MK firework for the first time, it's priceless. I am so grateful that we had that special moments, that I got to treat my dad before he passed away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!