Unintended Benifits of DVC Ownership

On a lighter note ... owning timeshare (beyond DVC) kept me clean during a long drought.

Summer of 2016 our well ran (mostly) dry. It had been a long drought with no break in sight. We eked out two showers each, per week, but otherwise used sink baths. Every water use was measured and argued. Laundry? Out the question. Use everything in the closet if need be ... and wear it again and again ... but no running the laundry.

Enter the great idea: Let's book the timeshare!
Every so often we'd book a weekend at a drive-to timeshare destination and bring our big bag of laundry. All weekend, we'd run laundry and, otherwise, hang out at the pool or soak in the bathtub. Water was a much enjoyed luxury during that period.

(This little memory came to mind as I tapped on my well tanks today to check their level. All topped off, Praise the Lord!)

Now in your own humble way you have shown the world what it means to be a strong responsible woman. I admire what you have achieved and the love and strength you have given to your family. This world would be a better place if more people would simply pull themselves up and say I can , I know I can. Life is not easy and for some it is much harder than us but with a can do spirit you can overcome a lot more than you think and in so doing become a beacon for others in distress.

I've loved hearing what Disney has meant to people and what DVC has brought to people! Thanks for sharing everyone!

Congrats to you on your hard work and perseverance, you are someone who truly appreciates how lucky we all are to be able to afford to be owners and visit WDW.

As you said, seeing my family happy is all that matters, and created some great memories.

I just finished reading Pete's post on the unintended benefits of being a DVC owner. I took some time to really think about my thoughts and my feelings and not everyone would understand them but I think some people here will get it! (warning its about to get long and mushy up in this post)
I came from VERY humble backgrounds, was homeless for awhile as a child, was hospitalized for malnutrition, child of mentally ill single mom, you get the picture. As an adult my husband left me and my three children and emptied my bank account on the way out. Disney was for the "other people" the people with normal lives, the people who were not me!
I worked my rear end off in two jobs and then one day I won an award that would change my life so to speak and definitely changed the life of at least one of my children. I won Interpreter of the Year for the company I work for (ASL interpreter/teacher here) My prize was a trip voucher for 3000.00 and I decided to take a once in a lifetime trip to Disney World. My kids and I two of them now in college and one still in HS had such a good time. I watched as my son's eyes lit up as we watched festival of fantasy and he said "I want to do this someday" I realized I had come a long way and worked hard to get there. I also realized that trip that DW had a bubble and vowed the next time I came, and I would come again, I wanted to stay on property. I saved and was able to help send my daughter on a honeymoon to DW and on a cruise and she came back with rave reviews about staying on property. My son graduated from HS made it through one semester of college and applied for the DCP. Of course I had to go visit him right? We stayed in the cabins and used the dining plan for the first time. The amount of stress saved for a person like me who even though finances have changed for me, still worries constantly about not having enough money, is worth EVERY penny of the dining plan. A prepaid vacation is a lifesaver for people like me!
My son came home, missed the Mouse and went back again to chase his dreams. I started to realize that maybe DVC was for me, maybe just maybe I could be one of those people. I didn't want to go into debt for it though, I had worked to hard to buy my first house and dig myself out of the whole I was dropped in by my ex. But, then something amazing happened my house value went up so when I sold my first house for something that could hold a multi generational family I had enough to buy points!! I bought resale points after listening to Pete's DVC podcasts and then when I went to see my son a month ago I bought direct. I haven't even stayed at DVC yet, my first trip isn't until February. However, my perks were immediate this last trip. I did the WAVE dinner package with Top of the World, I went to the EPCOT lounge, I used my discount, my magic band turned the Mickey purple.
Now that I've bored you with my life story lets get to the real value of those benefits. I stood at the Top of the World watching not the fireworks, but watching the faces of my daughter and her husband and their young son, my own son's smile, my oldest daughter and her fiancée staring across while the fireworks left splashes of color on their faces and I cried. I cried because the happiness I saw, the happiness I felt and knowing that they would never know how it feels to go to bed hungry, that they would never know what it was like to watch everyone around you go on vacations but never go yourself. I cried because DVC and Disney has afforded me the opportunity to help us make memories as a family, new memories that don't include the times we had to scrape together coins to buy gas or pencils for school. It has given me a moment to realize that just like Tianna hard work will pay of for me, but also a little bit of pixie dust can help that dream along. DVC and Disney has helped them remember the belief in fairy tales and more importantly in our own Happily Ever After!
What are your unintended benefits to DVC ownership/Disney fanship?
I have no words . . you brought tears to my eyes. I grew up without money for any family vacations (although I am fortunate that I had two parents who were stable and cared . . we just didn't have a lot). So I don't have those memories. I feel so very blessed to be able to take my kids on vacations. These memories of time with my family are entirely what DVC is about for me to. Thank you for sharing your story.

Thank you so much for sharing your story and reminding everyone about the magic of Disney. The “unintended benefits” are what make DVC so special. Can hardly wait to experience my top of the World dining package this December.
(Please consider sharing your story as a contributor on the DVC timeshare blog page or DVCfan.com )

Last edited:
We looked at The Disney Vacation Club in 1992 on our honeymoon. We decided to be responsible young adults and secure a house for the other 51 weeks of the year before splurging on vacations. Fast-forward to 4 children under the age of 5, me a stay-at-home-mom, and DH who worked in Midtown NYC on 9/11. He was fine and managed to get home by 4:00 on one of the first trains out of the city, but that day changed our life priorities. We got a call from DVC in October to buy Wilderness Lodge. DH said "buy it" without a moment's hesitation. I looked at him like he was crazy. I didn't work, 4 kids are not cheap, and we were 2 years into our new house. He said he didn't care. Buy it. Tomorrow isn't promised.

We bought 150 points at VWL, and planned to vacation every other year. Our 2 youngest turned 3 and 5 in the parks on that first trip. We were hooked. We bought 90 points at BWV, and took my dad with us the next December. We continued to go during Jersey Week until the kids hit middle school. The 2 youngest had a LOT of birthday celebrations with Mickey and friends! For our 20th wedding anniversary, we added more points at OKW.

We have been able to vacation with my parents, my siblings, and recently our nephews. All of our nephews have visited the Mouse before their first birthday, and the youngest visited twice!!! We're planning a large vacation next year that will use 3 years of our points, but it will be worth it. While we have a blast at Disney, it's about being together. For my parents, having all their kids and grandchildren in one place at one time will be priceless.

It's amazing what one event can do to change your priorities. We never imagined we'd be able to vacation like this with 4 children and me a stay-at-home mom. DVC made that possible. We shifted other things in our lives to make sure we had the ability to vacation every year in WDW. Life skills were learned. My kids learned to navigate transportation, read maps, manage cash money and eventually credit with the use of Magic Bands, interact with strangers, and so many other things. The memories we created will last forever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter