United Questions

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
We have a flight booked with United for mid-January. We got very good deal on the fare, but I am regretting an early departure for our flight home. I booked accepting that I was unable to make any changes without fees, but was curious if anyone has any experience with changing part of a United flight and what the cost would be to change our flight to a later time, aside from paying for the cost difference that already exists with a later departure?

Also, just curious how the United Chase rewards cards work in terms of free baggage? I thought I read that you have to pay for the fare with your Chase card in order to avoid baggage fees for 2 travelers. Is this correct? I have already paid for my flight. Would I be able to have the payment changed to the Chase card to receive this benefit? I’m still on the fence if getting a United Chase card even makes sense for us.

I was allowed to make a time change on a flight with United before.
It's been over one year that I was able to readjust my flight.

There was no charge to me as United changed the departure time by one hour later.
I called and reservations found a flight that would work for me.

From the United website:
(schedule change)

If your scheduled departure or arrival time changes by 30 minutes or more, we're happy to try to find other available flight options that meet your needs. Please keep the following in mind when you call:

• Your origin and destination will have to be the same as on your original itinerary.
  • If you have a connection, you may be able to choose a different connecting city or airport.
  • Alternative flights must be operated by United or our United Express® partners.
If we aren't able to find any other flights that meet your needs, requesting a refund may be an option. See the section below for more information.

We have a flight booked with United for mid-January. We got very good deal on the fare, but I am regretting an early departure for our flight home. I booked accepting that I was unable to make any changes without fees, but was curious if anyone has any experience with changing part of a United flight and what the cost would be to change our flight to a later time, aside from paying for the cost difference that already exists with a later departure?

Also, just curious how the United Chase rewards cards work in terms of free baggage? I thought I read that you have to pay for the fare with your Chase card in order to avoid baggage fees for 2 travelers. Is this correct? I have already paid for my flight. Would I be able to have the payment changed to the Chase card to receive this benefit? I’m still on the fence if getting a United Chase card even makes sense for us.
YES, you have to pay for the flight using the United Chase Rewards Card and be logged into the Chase Cardholder United log in account on line, which is linked to the Cardholder United Account which accumulates the miles and recognizes the benefit of FREE luggage for the cardholder and 1 traveling companion. The traveling companion MUST be booked on same reservation. When you do check in for boarding pass on line, when you bring up reservation, it will show $0 owed for baggage for cardholder and traveling companion roundtrip. We have a United Chase Card; we flew to Aruba recently, which my DH is the Cardholder. It was very nice, priority boarding for DH and I, FREE BAGGAGE roundtrip, which is worth $25 times 4($100). We were traveling with our DS, so he did not get priority boarding, and we had to pay for his baggage, $50 RT. DH boarded because he is always concerned about overhead space and I waited for DS to board(didn't want to leave him behind in foreigh country, haha). If you fly United often, CERTAINLY WORTH IT!:Pinkbounc:banana:

If it works like Delta and American, to get free bags you just have to have your frequent flyer # that is linked to that credit card on the reservation. I used to get free bags even when I paid for the ticket with my corporate credit card.

There was no charge to me as United changed the departure time by one hour later.
I called and reservations found a flight that would work for me.

Yup. Schedule changes are essentially "get out of jail free" cards when it comes to non-refundable tickets.

Chances are good that flights will get altered between now and January. It's normal for airlines to tweak their schedules occasionally. If a change is made, it probably won't be drastic. But, as long as it's 30 minutes or more, that enables a free change. And, it really is free. You won't have to pay the normal change fee nor will you have to pay any difference in fare.

If flights times are changed, the airline will notify you. However, that notification may not be immediate. Additionally, if an airline is planning on making a major adjustment to their schedule at some point in the future, they may hold off on contacting people until after that adjustment.

Therefore, the best practice is to periodically log onto the United website and check your reservation. Typically, airlines adjust their schedules over weekends. So, checking the flights on a Sunday night or Monday would be ideal.

If flights times are changed, the airline will notify you. However, that notification may not be immediate.

If by “not immediate” you mean “you might not be told by the airline until you’re at the airport”, that’s correct. :)

I have almost never been informed by any airline of a flight time change.

So I do what you said. Regularly log into my account and check.

I always check my account as at times it is noted online on my UA confirmation that a change of flight time is noted

I always book many months in advance (9) knowing there will be changes

I see it then way before I get the email notification

If by “not immediate” you mean “you might not be told by the airline until you’re at the airport”, that’s correct. :)

So I do what you said. Regularly log into my account and check.

Great advice. I am flying on United in October, and they have changed my flight 4 times already. Each time I have had to re-pick seats.

Great advice. I am flying on United in October, and they have changed my flight 4 times already. Each time I have had to re-pick seats.

Thanks all for this helpful information. I’m encouraged we may be able to change our flight. One question, though, will they still accommodate a basic economy purchase? I don’t recall being permitted to even pick a seat? Is that possible that our tickets are so restricted they can just put us anywhere?

Thanks all for this helpful information. I’m encouraged we may be able to change our flight. One question, though, will they still accommodate a basic economy purchase? I don’t recall being permitted to even pick a seat? Is that possible that our tickets are so restricted they can just put us anywhere?

With basic economy yoy not allowed to pick seats. And I don't think you get a carry-on bag, only a personal item. But I'm not positive on that one.

I disagree. Whenever I've had schedule changes, I've always been notified. And, I've spent decades working in the travel industry. Airlines do notify people of schedule changes...eventually.

Important: If you book through a travel agency (either "real" or online like Expedia/Orbitz), the airline will notify your travel agency of any schedule changes. In that situation, the travel agency is responsible for contacting you to tell you of the change.

If a schedule change of 30 minutes or more happens, you will be able to change flights regardless of the type of fare. Most likely, you will be rebooked with a basic economy ticket on whatever new flights you choose. Whatever restrictions you had on your first itinerary (in terms of carry-on and seating restrictions) will apply to the new flights

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!