Universal Annual Pass Query

chopsouey

Earning My Ears
Hello!

Having recently crunched the numbers, I’ve worked out that my other half and I could potentially save some money by buying Universal Annual Passes. I can’t find a specific answer to this on Universal’s website, so I’m hoping someone here might know.

Our trip isn’t until 6th October 2020, normally I’d just wait until nearer the time but as I’m from the UK our currency is slightly unsteady at the moment so the exchange rate could change drastically.

If I were to buy these passes today, would I still be able to pick up and activate it NEXT October? Or is there small print in the T&Cs preventing this that I’ve missed given its slightly over a year away.

Thanks in advance!

Hmm, my gut says no, although I'm not an expert. Think of it this way. Most companies raise their prices every year. With your method, why couldn't people just pay for 5 years now and just activate them as each year rolls around (saving themselves all the price increases)? It is really hard to guess currency fluctuations. We're in the same boat as Canadians. Never know how crappy our dollar will be compared to the US.

According to the fine print on the AP page at UO, it looks like your year for an annual pass begins the first time you USE your pass to enter a park - which sounds similar to the system Disney uses (where you are buying an AP certificate but it's not actually an active AP until you present ID and activate it at the parks). And to the PP yes that means someone could buy more than one AP certificate and just wait until the old one completely expires before activating the next one, and not have to pay the increased prices over time. You're basically forking over your money to Disney/UO ahead of time which allows them to make money off of your money without you actually using their services until a later date. Trust me that the company never loses in that scenario or they'd put an end to the practice.

Go to undercover tourist website and buy the 2 day park to park ticket plus extra day(not a promo). This ticket expires 12 months from your order date. That way you don't have to worry about price increases between now and when you go. Once you activate it in the park go to guest services and upgrade to the seasonal pass. You should get credit for a 3 day park to park ticket, which you can use to upgrade to AP.

A related AP question -

Is the AP only available as pickup at ticket office? That was the only option I saw. Does that mean guest services outside the parks? The actual ticket lines where everyone is getting their tickets? I was hoping the email would have something I could scan at the gates without having to go to the ticket window or GS at least the first visit.

My flight will be landing around 7 PM with a 7 PM park close so I will have to do it in the AM before heading into the park and would like to waste as little time as possible. I'm assuming I can't do this at the hotel either (I'm staying at HRH)?

I'm also assuming the email confirmation will be proof enough if they ask to confirm for my AP rate if I can't actually get the AP until the next day?

Thanks

Thank you for your replies. The fact prices usually increase year on year was what was confusing me. Like PP said I could technically buy now, use 2025, but I guess Universal knows their own business model.

I contacted universal, who confirmed that I could buy now and just pick them up when I arrive. Just hope that turns out to be right! :-)

A related AP question -

Is the AP only available as pickup at ticket office? That was the only option I saw. Does that mean guest services outside the parks? The actual ticket lines where everyone is getting their tickets? I was hoping the email would have something I could scan at the gates without having to go to the ticket window or GS at least the first visit.

My flight will be landing around 7 PM with a 7 PM park close so I will have to do it in the AM before heading into the park and would like to waste as little time as possible. I'm assuming I can't do this at the hotel either (I'm staying at HRH)?

I'm also assuming the email confirmation will be proof enough if they ask to confirm for my AP rate if I can't actually get the AP until the next day?

Thanks

I'm not sure about pick up but I think it does have to be at a ticket booth. For the hotel though, you just need to show proof before you check out. People pick up passes after check in all the time.

A related AP question -

Thanks

Yes you have to activate your AP at one of the guest services booths. You have to verify your identity before they will activate the AP so it has to be done in person.

A related AP question -

Thanks

You can pick up your AP at the hotel at the ticket desk if it is open. It isn't open really late or really early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!