Universal buys 100 acres of land

I don't think a 5th gate is the answer. I think the answer was already given before the question was asked...and that was Star Wars land and hotel, Guardians, Rat, everything that was announced at D23. Disney was just ahead of the game there for once.

I think Nintendo will draw tons of people to Universal. It really is an answer to Star Wars, I am pretty deep in each fandom and I kind of think Nintendo has even more fans.

Being a Star Wars fan is trendy nowadays, but I don't really think most of the people buying the occasional Star Wars shirts at Target and seeing each new movie once in the theater will be itching to go to the theme park addition, or even hear about it.

I think Universal/Comcast is being very smart here. They've acquired their land, they've got a very popular new IP (Nintendo), they're putting the hotel and infrastructure in to handle more people, and at a much more attractive price than anything Disney is offering lately.

I can't wait to see what they dream up to go in their new park. I just hope it will be have a couple original lands, like the Lost Continent was.

according to someone I know who worked on it, it's still a long way from what it could have been had it been done right.

Yep, go back to the original announcements and what was promised or announced and look what we have today. So much more could have been done. Budgets and deadlines were not met at all on that project.

Building another gate? Forget about anything being done in the 4 existing parks for at least 3-5 years, most likely more like 5-7 years. And the Parks right now are not in a state where that can happen. We know it, Disney knows it, Universal knows it. Disney has work to do, especially at EPCOT. It simply can't be ignored after the 50th for half a decade after this building spurt comes to a close.

Couldn't agree more. I think we will see the current work slow down for the 50th so minimal work from 2021-2022 and then work pick right back up after. Epcot especially cannot stay in its current state and Ratatouille and Guardians will only do so much. We have rumors of course but until actual work begins things will change.

No real need to create a 5th gate, when you have the ability to add substantially to the other 4 gates you have. People will not take longer vacations because you have a 5th gate. Far more economical to split all of the resources you'd put into a 5th gate, dividing them into the 4 existing parks.

When you run out of expansion area, then maybe a 5th gate....if you don't flatten old stuff and start over.

I like the idea of expanding existing parks also. The "5th Gate" could be to expand the existing parks with additional attractions (not simply replace stuff but actually expand outwards). But, Disney will have to do something significant if Universal adds a 3rd gate. It may be tricky (moving backstage areas and parking lots), but they have the land to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!