Universal buys 100 acres of land

Let’s remember we cannot get political. Please leave elected officials out of this. :)

Random musing after the World Series ended last night and the obligatory Disney World spot with the winners (even though this will never happen):

Assuming a third gate is in the wings, taking a spot during the Super Bowl (which NBC just happens to have the broadcast rights to this year) featuring one of the star players of the winning team who's asked what he's going to do now - "I'm going to .... (long dramatic pause) Universal Studios!" Cut to exciting US/IoA footage and, of course, a teaser announcement for the third gate (probably opening years after said player has retired, but that's not the point). Big stage, big announcement, big swipe at Disney - I'd give them a golf clap for their boldness.

Random musing after the World Series ended last night and the obligatory Disney World spot with the winners (even though this will never happen):

Assuming a third gate is in the wings, taking a spot during the Super Bowl (which NBC just happens to have the broadcast rights to this year) featuring one of the star players of the winning team who's asked what he's going to do now - "I'm going to .... (long dramatic pause) Universal Studios!" Cut to exciting US/IoA footage and, of course, a teaser announcement for the third gate (probably opening years after said player has retired, but that's not the point). Big stage, big announcement, big swipe at Disney - I'd give them a golf clap for their boldness.

That would be great - and I could see it happen ... I don't think that sort of thing is something you could copy-write/patent

I would give ALL my Disney dollars to Universal for the next 5 years if they did that. It would be fantastic!!

Yes! I need Universal to make this happen.

We start with the Disney angle. I believe they either need a 5th gate (which has been debated here and basically said nope for a number of issues) or they need to expand, not just replace some ride, the existing parks. When I started going to Orlando Disneyworld was the pinnacle now its lost its edge due to Universal. Adding into this is the wait times now in Disney parks and having to plan so much of your holiday months upon months in advance. I love Disney when I get there however the crowds, lack of investment (I know its changing now) and going after every penny wears you down. Disney needs to reduce the buildup in the parks bu expanding out it may cannibalize some of their sales but long term it will help.

With universal doing what they are doing I am really happy. It is keeping Disney honest and is forcing them to respond. With a new park, a Universal only holiday becomes an even more tempting proposition. We love their rides and Universals theming now is marvelous and is out Disneying Disney on some levels. Competition is good and Disney should be worried now. If they decide to use the land for Nintendo or broader video games Disney could have serious headache. We know Nintendo is coming to Universal but is it a part of the Studios or a whole park to itself that is now the question. If it's a whole park I know where my kids would prefer to go and it wouldn't be Disneyworld.

I would give ALL my Disney dollars to Universal for the next 5 years if they did that. It would be fantastic!!

Why?

Why is everyone so pro-Universal and (seemingly) anti-Disney around here? I welcome the competition as much as the next person but good grief!

;)

Why?

Why is everyone so pro-Universal and (seemingly) anti-Disney around here? I welcome the competition as much as the next person but good grief!

;)

Disney, frankly, bores me these days. I am hoping SWL blows me away, but their last few new projects have done absolutely nothing to thrill me. New Fantasy Land is a joke, Pandora made me yawn, and the general demise that they have let the parks endure has been very sad to watch. I have been a loyal visitor for 18 years now...multiple times a year up until a few years ago when everything started missing the upkeep. When the company starts not caring as much about their product, I stop caring, too.

I welcome the competition, but I will give Uni my dollars because they are the ones driving it. If WDW had its way, they would just sit on what they have since people still flock there. They are only changing things up bc Uni is forcing them to. That, right there, earns my money.

Why?

;)

Not sure about that - I think both sides have their fans. There are a lot of posts that are sort of anti-Universal for all of the rides being screen based, and then the Universal fans argue back saying that isn't the case and Disney has screens too, etc. I think overall people love the Potter lands and think that has pushed Disney to up their games, but I see a lot of mixed (at best) reviews of the Kong attraction and pretty much *yawns* or negative reaction to the new Fast and Furious ride

And then other Universal fans poo poo all the construction that Disney is doing a too little to late or whatever

At the end of the day we all are the winners as whatever the driver both sides seem to be upping their game and doing a ton of construction ... well, I guess our wallets are the ultimate loser as with all the construction comes higher, and higher prices outpacing general economic growth, etc.

Why?

;)

I like both for different reasons! I can see if people go multiple times per year, every year, for a long time then it could easily get old. That being said, 2 to 2.5 days at a time is good enough for us at the Universal Parks. We're not really park warriors either so between Express Pass and early entry we can knock out a lot of stuff. For those who don't use it, then I can see the need to be there longer.

I like both for different reasons! I can see if people go multiple times per year, every year, for a long time then it could easily get old. That being said, 2 to 2.5 days at a time is good enough for us at the Universal Parks. We're not really park warriors either so between Express Pass and early entry we can knock out a lot of stuff. For those who don't use it, then I can see the need to be there longer.

Agreed. A day trip a couple times a year to US has made it pretty stale for us-even the HP areas.

But more plans ahead will likely keep us going, its so close. :yay:

Agreed. A day trip a couple times a year to US has made it pretty stale for us-even the HP areas.

But more plans ahead will likely keep us going, its so close. :yay:

Oh totally, if/when Nintendo happens I'll be there for sure. I've been a nintendo fangirl since nearly the beginning!

Why?

;)

It's more often the very opposite.

As a pro-Universal person, there are certainly plenty of flaws I can point out, particularly a recent focus on IPs which yes, they own entirely, but seem to have a short shelf-life. I can't imagine the Fallon ride last more than a decade.

My issue is the Disney homers being very defensive about any Disney criticism and dismissive of anything Universal has done, often in a tone which makes me think they've never gone to Universal for more than an afternoon. And not to get into some sort of class warfare thing, but I think the Disney fans of greater means---the ones who always use DVC or stay for a week or more at a Deluxe---don't understand how Disney's price hikes and focus on high-priced specialization are a real issue for a large segment of people wanting to visit WDW.

We can love both parks and discuss them rationally without having blinders on our eyes about how they can improve or what they're doing wrong.

Not sure about that - I think both sides have their fans. There are a lot of posts that are sort of anti-Universal for all of the rides being screen based, and then the Universal fans argue back saying that isn't the case and Disney has screens too, etc. I think overall people love the Potter lands and think that has pushed Disney to up their games, but I see a lot of mixed (at best) reviews of the Kong attraction and pretty much *yawns* or negative reaction to the new Fast and Furious ride

And then other Universal fans poo poo all the construction that Disney is doing a too little to late or whatever

At the end of the day we all are the winners as whatever the driver both sides seem to be upping their game and doing a ton of construction ... well, I guess our wallets are the ultimate loser as with all the construction comes higher, and higher prices outpacing general economic growth, etc.

Fast and Furious hasn't even opened...

Fast and Furious hasn't even opened...

sorry - should have specified the reaction to recent information about the ride that was released - that is it entirely screen based and the ride vehicle just looks like a tram, etc.

sorry - should have specified the reaction to recent information about the ride that was released - that is it entirely screen based and the ride vehicle just looks like a tram, etc.
Universal has done some great things like potter and theming of Simpsons. However then they revert back to average or below average attractions like Jimmy Fallon and what we are expecting from F&F. I guess the next hope for something major is Nintendo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter