Universal First-Timer and Feeling Overwhelmed

eiblehs

Expedition Everest Enthusiast
I like to consider myself somewhat of an expert when it comes to planning and navigating around Walt Disney World. However, I know next to nothing about Universal Studios. I have a short trip planned to visit US/IOA next summer. My friends, husband, and I wanted to take an adults-couples-trip to both US and WDW this year rather than just Disney like we have in the past. Only one out of four people in the group has ever been to US/IOA, but since it's not me, I am overwhelmed. I know what you're thinking, "Summer 2020? You have plenty of time to feel prepared!" And that's why I am here!

We are flying into Orlando a little after 12 p.m. and are staying two nights on property at Loews Royal Pacific Resort. We opted for transportation using the SuperStar Shuttle to the resort from the airport. We decided to "splurge" on the resort to get the unlimited express passes included with our package. On our arrival day, we are planning on heading straight to Universal Studios; for our full day with the extra hour included, we'll start at Islands of Adventure. My first question is... What sort of ticket/pass/card/etc. does Universal use? Meaning, will I receive something in the mail? Will I need to print something at home? Will I pick up my tickets/express passes at hotel check-in?

I usually ignore Universal videos posted by the Dis or any other vloggers I watch. So now I feel like I should go back and watch everything since I'll actually be visiting the resort!

As I think of more questions, I will post them in this thread. If you have any other tips or pieces of advice for newbies in Universal, feel free to comment below! I've already got a list of what rides accept the Express pass and which do not. We are not doing Volcano Bay, so our extra hour will be spent in Hogsmeade. And I know where to go in the MCO airport to find the Universal shuttle. Other than that, I am lost. Anything is appreciated!

I like to consider myself somewhat of an expert when it comes to planning and navigating around Walt Disney World. However, I know next to nothing about Universal Studios. I have a short trip planned to visit US/IOA next summer. My friends, husband, and I wanted to take an adults-couples-trip to both US and WDW this year rather than just Disney like we have in the past. Only one out of four people in the group has ever been to US/IOA, but since it's not me, I am overwhelmed. I know what you're thinking, "Summer 2020? You have plenty of time to feel prepared!" And that's why I am here!

We are flying into Orlando a little after 12 p.m. and are staying two nights on property at Loews Royal Pacific Resort. We opted for transportation using the SuperStar Shuttle to the resort from the airport. We decided to "splurge" on the resort to get the unlimited express passes included with our package. On our arrival day, we are planning on heading straight to Universal Studios; for our full day with the extra hour included, we'll start at Islands of Adventure. My first question is... What sort of ticket/pass/card/etc. does Universal use? Meaning, will I receive something in the mail? Will I need to print something at home? Will I pick up my tickets/express passes at hotel check-in?

I usually ignore Universal videos posted by the Dis or any other vloggers I watch. So now I feel like I should go back and watch everything since I'll actually be visiting the resort!

As I think of more questions, I will post them in this thread. If you have any other tips or pieces of advice for newbies in Universal, feel free to comment below! I've already got a list of what rides accept the Express pass and which do not. We are not doing Volcano Bay, so our extra hour will be spent in Hogsmeade. And I know where to go in the MCO airport to find the Universal shuttle. Other than that, I am lost. Anything is appreciated!

We used the Universal Orlando app to link our tickets. We were able to scan our tickets with our phone that way. For the Express Pass, we got them at the ticket counter in the Royal Pacific lobby when we checked in. We kept those on a lanyard for easy access.

The walk from the RP to the parks is lovely and security lines were virtually nonexistent (we were there in Nov 2017). I found the whole experience less overwhelming than Disney as far as things like planning and touring plans go. Most of that was due to the Express Pass.

Hope that helps!

There are plenty of helpful threads, some in the stickies on top of the boards that are full of info you may find helpful. You can ask questions on the stickies anytime.

From hotels, to parks to restaurant info......it’s all there.

Read as many posts and threads as you can and use the search function, it brings up a lot of info.

Royal Pacific is a beautiful hotel, you made a good choice staying there.

If you can cancel your shuttle reservation, you'd be much better off using Lyft or Uber or a car service (people on here like Tony Hinds).
There really isn't anything you need to plan. And you aren't going for so long that you'll have time to really take advantage of a lot of the extras on site. Pretend you are going to your local amusement park- that's the kind of planning you need to do vs Disney level. :) Your Express Passes cover just about everything.
The Orlando Informer website if a treasure trove of great info on the parks.

We used the Universal Orlando app to link our tickets. We were able to scan our tickets with our phone that way. For the Express Pass, we got them at the ticket counter in the Royal Pacific lobby when we checked in. We kept those on a lanyard for easy access.
Express pass is back to being the room key, no longer any need to do the separate EP. They just have to check in and get key cards.

Check out some menus online to get an idea where you'll want to eat. Lots of good options at City Walk, which is very convenient even in the middle of a park day.

Express pass is back to being the room key, no longer any need to do the separate EP. They just have to check in and get key cards.

Good to know! Would my room key also be my ticket to get into the parks or just my Express pass?

The walk from the RP to the parks is lovely and security lines were virtually nonexistent (we were there in Nov 2017). I found the whole experience less overwhelming than Disney as far as things like planning and touring plans go. Most of that was due to the Express Pass.

Hope that helps!

That helped tremendously! Thank you!

If you are staying at an Express Pass hotel, there is no need to feel overwhelmed. You can literally just go and enjoy.

Good to know! Puts me at ease a bit. Thank you!
Check out some menus online to get an idea where you'll want to eat. Lots of good options at City Walk, which is very convenient even in the middle of a park day.

Thank you for the tip! Food...My first love! What’s your favorite spot? :)

Also, the early admission calendar likely isn't out. It usually only comes out a few weeks ahead of time. It might not be IOA.

I didn’t realize it wasn’t available at both IOA and Universal all of the time. Thank you for the heads up!

I really liked Toothsome. Had a waffle topped with lemon curd & whipped cream - it was like a breakfast pie and I can't wait to go back for another.

Breadbox is great for a quick sandwich meal at park closing. Antojitos is good Mexican. Red Box pizza has good pizza for a decent price. Have heard good things about NBC sports bar and intend to try them on my next trip. Basically, lots of good options from sit down to quick bites.

I didn’t realize it wasn’t available at both IOA and Universal all of the time. Thank you for the heads up!
The past several months, it's only been Studios. Perhaps due to Hagrid's.

Currently only Minions, Gringotts, and Ollivander's are open at the Studios during Early Admission.

Volcano Bay also has Early Admission, and that one is far more expansive with most rides being open. It's an EXCELLENT opportunity to ride the big rides with no wait before the crowds come.

We liked the food at Jake’s at the RPR. Also, we like to eat at both HP restaurants- the 3 Broomsticks and the Leaky Cauldron.

Just home from a Disney and Universal trip! Universal is so much more laid back and relaxing than the rush of Disney with advanced dining reservations and three+ FP. We stayed at Royal Pacific and ate in the parks or at Citywalk (LOVED Korean Tacos at Bumblebee Man’s food truck in US). Express Pass is your room key and got park tickets from the guest relations right in the RP lobby. Bell services kept our luggage safe until we were back from lunch in the park and our rooms were ready. Really enjoyed Volcano Bay water park one day and did premium seating which gave a little more privacy and food/drink service at our loungers.

Loved both HP restaurants for a little British fare. Really enjoyed the Kansas City dog at Hotdog Hall of Fame, a couple of apps at Toothsome and dinner at Cowfish. Not a huge fan of Bigfire. Steak was really tasty but the smashed potatoes were just so so and the mac and cheese had no taste. Apple pie crust was way too toasty and sent back as a disappointment.

We did Blue Man Group and those guys were well worth the ticket price. Great show and such a nice break from the parks. An all around great trip and while the Mouse gets most all the hype, is Universal where we will keep returning.

Just home from a Disney and Universal trip! Universal is so much more laid back and relaxing than the rush of Disney with advanced dining reservations and three+ FP. We stayed at Royal Pacific and ate in the parks or at Citywalk (LOVED Korean Tacos at Bumblebee Man’s food truck in US). Express Pass is your room key and got park tickets from the guest relations right in the RP lobby. Bell services kept our luggage safe until we were back from lunch in the park and our rooms were ready. Really enjoyed Volcano Bay water park one day and did premium seating which gave a little more privacy and food/drink service at our loungers.

Loved both HP restaurants for a little British fare. Really enjoyed the Kansas City dog at Hotdog Hall of Fame, a couple of apps at Toothsome and dinner at Cowfish. Not a huge fan of Bigfire. Steak was really tasty but the smashed potatoes were just so so and the mac and cheese had no taste. Apple pie crust was way too toasty and sent back as a disappointment.

We did Blue Man Group and those guys were well worth the ticket price. Great show and such a nice break from the parks. An all around great trip and while the Mouse gets most all the hype, is Universal where we will keep returning.

Awesome, thank you for all of the advice! I will definitely have to stop at that taco truck—Yum!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts