Universal Hollywood Crowds - January 2024

sandam1

DIS Veteran
I need everyone to get out their crystal balls and give me some advice on what the crowds might look like at Universal in January (specifically Wednesday, 1/10 and possibly Tuesday, 1/9). This is the week before Martin Luther King Day.

My best friend and I are going to be doing Universal Hollywood for the first time although we are long-time passholders at Universal Orlando. I definitely want to check out Nintendo World, but neither one of us are die-hard fans. Our focus is going to be hitting some of our UO favorites (Harry Potter) and experiencing the West Coast specific attractions.

We are flying in on Tuesday, likely arriving from the East Coast between 1-3 p.m. I'm wondering about the benefits of a) going with a two-day pass, hoping to get in a couple of hours of park time on our arrival day, depending on what time the park closes and/or 2) getting early entry. It looks like crowds might relatively low so I'm wondering if either would be necessary. This is likely are only trip to Universal Hollywood so I don't want to cheap out, but the budget isn't unlimited.

If we don't get tickets for Tuesday, are there any "must-do" restaurants or anything else in City Walk that we should do on Tuesday?

Crowds should be really light. Most of the So. Cal school districts start back up on 1/8, so there shouldn’t be many locals hitting the park on the 10-11th. USH is definitely doable in one day, but a day and a half is much better if you can swing it. But if your flight is arriving later than 1, I don’t know that the two day pass is really worth it. The park will probably close at 6, so by the time you get out of the airport, drop off your bags at the hotel, and get to the park, you don’t have much of any time.

Lots of decent restaurants at CityWalk, but personally not anything I’d consider a must do. They’re mostly national chains. We usually head to Bucca di Beppo or Bubba Gumps. Haven’t been to Toothsome Chocolate Emporium, and we really want to try it (although reviews so far have been mixed).

USH is definitely doable in one day, but a day and a half is much better if you can swing it. But if your flight is arriving later than 1, I don’t know that the two day pass is really worth it. The park will probably close at 6, so by the time you get out of the airport, drop off your bags at the hotel, and get to the park, you don’t have much of any time.

Thanks for the input! I wasn't sure what time to expect the park to close, but at 6 p.m., it might be cutting it close. Maybe we'll just wait to see how the day goes and plan on adding a second day when we get there if the stars align and things go quickly/smoothly.

Haven’t been to Toothsome Chocolate Emporium, and we really want to try it (although reviews so far have been mixed).

Toothsome is one of our UO favorites so there is a better than average chance that we'll wind up here - unless there is a Hollywood specific restaurant that is a "don't miss."

The rides that are a carbon copy:

1) Simpsons
2) Transformers
3) Minion Mayhem
4) Harry Potter Forbidden Journey

Small changes:
1) I've heard that Hippogriff's is slightly different track, but I don't really notice, other than the views

Large changes:
1) Mummy -- its a different track and storyline. I think the UO is slightly better, but still worthwhile.
2) Jurassic World -- it's a heavy retheme, but the basic track is the same to the Jurassic River Adventure. Better animatronics make it worthwhile.

Unique:
1) Studio Tour (although Kong and F&F are part of the experience, it's not really the main focus of the Studio Tour)
2) Waterworld (must see show)
3) Nintendoland
4) Pets Off the Leash --- fun dark ride

Skip:
Kung Fu Panda -- unless you have absolutely nothing else you want to do.

If you can ignore the carbon copies (except maybe for Harry Potter), then you should have no problem getting it done in a day, I wouldn't go for two days, unless you really just want to fully experience the park.

That week should be relatively light compared to the previous weeks. Probably could even skip getting universal express pass, at least wait until you get to the park.

I typically do not eat at CityWalk, I believe only places I have eaten at are Margaritaville and Bubba Gumps, which are both ok, but are national chains.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter