Universal Hollywood - Friday or Saturday?

jdorman

Earning My Ears
Hello. My family is visiting Disneyland the first week of August. We are also going to visit Universal Studios one day and are going to Uber from a Good Neighbor hotel to Universal and back. My question is regarding traffic. We can go on Friday, August 9 or Saturday, August 10. Will there be much difference between traffic on a weekday vs. a weekend? Will crowds at the park be vastly different? Suggestions on which day to go would be appreciated.

Following as well!
Am going to HHN this year, but not sure which date to go.
I'm trying to choose between a Thursday and a Sunday :o

If we were to go on a weekday, what time in the afternoon should we Uber/Lyft over to Universal Studios to avoid rush hour traffic? When does rush hour "start"?

jdorman There will be a big difference between traffic on a weekday vs. a weekend - weekends are lighter. The crowds will not be vastly different.
CheshireStripes Mid October the crowds will be much lighter but traffic won't be any different than September.
CharleneTheDM Sunday is pretty slow but this year they will be doing fireworks with "Dark Arts" only on Sunday so that might draw a little more. Sunday there really isn't a rush hour. Thursday rush hour "starts" around 4PM depending on which direction you're coming from - you don't say.

The price for HHN is better for Thursday and the crowds will be about the same as they typically sell out each night. California traffic is always a nightmare. Either leave before 6am or after 9am, and after 3pm to about 7pm or prepare to be in traffic. If there is an accident though you could hit traffic at 11am though so no real predictor. Add 30 minutes to whatever you think it will be. That stretch through downtown L.A. from the 10/60 freeway area to Universal always has traffic no matter when I pass through. Sometimes we take the back way through Burbank to avoid it. Again where you start makes all the difference as traffic goes toward L.A. (west) in the morning and toward the Inland Empire (east) in the afternoon. Travel opposite these and you will be better off.

No matter which park you visit it will be busier on a Saturday then a weekday. Sundays can be either depending on when you visit-August is the ending of the high season and October because of HHN will be busy as well for people doing day/night tickets. HHN gets insane crowds so go at least two hours early (plus travel time) to park, an hour if you are just getting dropped off. You can always eat or get a drink while you wait for them to open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!