Universal Report - Parent's Perspective

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
We took our kids to Universal Studios (DS12 and DD8) for the first time and had a great day. I didn’t ride much myself due to eye issues, but was impressed with not only with the rides but how they run things.

We arrived for Rope Drop and went straight to the Harry Potter Forbidden Journey ride. Harry Potter land is amazing. It’s like you are in the movie in Hogsmeade itself. Felt like we needed our winter jackets...lol. Similarly, walking through the castle is pretty neat too with all the detail and things to look at. You are at Hogwart School! The ride was pretty much walk on and since it stopped mid way, they let riders go on again. DH and DS rode the first time. This ride was a bit too much for DH’s stomach (and pretty much put an end to any other simulator rides for him) but DS went again. (DD and I waited at the exit/child swap room). It was by far my son's favorite ride, not just at Universal but at any theme park.

When we were done Harry Potter rides, we went to the Simpsons area, which was a treat for DH (but he skipped the ride). Again, it's like you are a part of the make believe land.

One thing that I really like at Universal is how you can walk your kids through the rides and then go through the (escape) exit. Very smart so you know when they went on and can wait by the exit. The only tricky one is Despicable Me where the exit is in the store around the corner (so make sure you confirm if you are meeting your kids afterwards).

Another super smart thing that Universal did was install mist sprays along the walking trails as well as in the outside line queues (e.g. Jurassic park, Studio Tour). Our day wasn’t crazy hot but can imagine if we were there a few days later with the heat wave (we were at Disneyland by then).

We headed to Despicable Me. I had heard that they had 2 stationary seats but they said it wouldn’t be running until noon so only our kids rode. We did return later in the day when I was able to try the stationary seat (I’m guessing its only on one side as in the afternoon they did have both sides running).

I suggested to my family that we hit the lower lot early (after Simpsons) but they wanted a break from the simulator rides so we didn’t get there until late morning – this meant long line ups. But, it wasn’t too bad and the lines seemed to move. They got soaked on Jurassic park as they were front row. My son did single rider on Transformers and said it was ok, but something wasn’t working (which he commented the same on a few rides).

My favorite part of Universal is the Studio Tour as I love the behind the scenes stuff. Neat with the earthquake, and I’m a fan of psycho so that part was fun.

We caught some of the shows….the Special Effects show that was quite interesting and the Water World one was ok (but neat stunts). We skipped the Animal one.

Oh…and my favorite was the Walking Dead walkthough. I went on my own. (DH tried after me but it wasn't his thing and exited before the end). The zombies grab you and come pretty close but they don’t touch you. Really neat make up (at least I hope it was makeup).

Universal is a fun day. I do agree that one day is enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter