Universal Studios Hollywood - Major Bust for Motion Sick Folks

tori.bh3

Mouseketeer
My mom and I went to USH for the day as part of a larger Disneyland trip and were largely disappointed.

Don't get me wrong - USH isn't BAD; it just wasn't our cup of tea. Both of us suffer from motion sickness. It is more of the motion itself for my mom and it's the screens for me.

We started the day with Forbidden Journey which upset both of our bodies, but the motion really bothered my mom. Then we went to Transformers, which was fine for her but miserable for me. Pretty much the entire day was like this.

We really did enjoy the backlot tour (although I struggled with Kong and Furious) and the Jurassic Park ride.

At the end of the day, while it's a lovely park, it's just not for us.

I agree with you. I cannot ride motion simulator rides as they make me ill. We didn't ride Forbidden Journey because I thought I'd get sick. We did walk through the queue which was excellent. I've been on Jurassic Park before and loved it.

The last time I visited, both Kong and Furious were broken, so I don't know if those would've made me sick. I did like the Waterworld show. I told my daughter that I wouldn't need to go back until they expand Harry Potter and then I'd only go once and never again.

We went a few years ago after a 15 year break between visits. i left with the impression that most rides were just short movies now. Lots of screens.

I’m the same with simulators & first time on FJ (in Orlando) I closed my eyes not long into it to stop myself being sick but the whole day after that was a wipeout for me. I’m the same with spinning things.

I now take sturgeon in UK & Dramamine in the US (the US one is better so I brought a few tubes home with me last visit) & I can ride those ride fine with my eyes wide open but I have to make sure I take them as the last one is ebbing off.

I’m not usually one to take chemicals & prefer the natural route where available but these win hands down over anything else I’ve tried.

Love Bonnine. I forgot the first day at Universal Orlando, so we did the rides that I knew I'd be fine with. Then I made sure to take Bonnine before going to bed that night. I buy it in the US and take it when I cruise, or do any coasters at SW or Universal.

I made my niece try Bonnine for FoP as her first ride she kept her eyes closed. I told her next time I would give her medicine so that she wouldn't feel sick when riding. She said it helped.

I usually do dramamine or bonnine but both make me a bit sick on their own. I have resorted to ginger oil, which usually helps but wasn't strong enough for the screens that day!

I think it really depends what type of motion sickness you suffer from -- perceived motion vs. actual motion. My husband cannot go on spinning rides (teacups, scrambler, etc.) and can't do any rides that go backwards, but he was fine will all of the rides at Universal (other than the Mummy, which he skipped based on the fact that it goes backwards). I, on the other hand, suffer from motion sickness from watching movies with too much motion (ala Saving Private Ryan or Blair Witch Hunt), or any "first person" video games or visual images (like using streetview on Google Maps and scrolling around too quickly can make me motion sick). I do okay with the rides at Universal but couldn't necessarily ride them over and over again, the way I can with "real" rides.

Interesting, never thought about taking nausea meds for rides. I remember when we went on the Star Tour simulator (?) at Disney World. Omg I thought i was going to pass out. But I've always gotten car sick then sick on planes and cruises...i know why travel..But definitely took meds for those. Just never thought about taking them for rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!