Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Access Report!

BillSears

DIS Veteran
I'm back from my first US/IOA trip and as promised here's my write up. :thumbsup2

I hope anyone would feel free to use the following write-up and pictures for documenting any access information on any site.

I visited Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure last week and I wanted to write up some information about the wheelchair access situations I saw. As a point of reference I’ve been a T8 complete paraplegic for 31 years and I’m 49 years old. So I’m not quite as spry as I used to be. ;)

Overall I had no harder time at US/IOA then I would at a day at WDW. The employees seemed to have no real problems with the wheelchair access except for a few small glitches. All of the lines seemed to be fully accessible and the ride vehicles seemed to be no worse and sometimes better then most amusement park rides.

I’ll break down my experiences with each ride following the order that is in the “Rider’s Guide” I was given. I don’t have complete information on all of the rides since I did skip many of them based on how interested I was.

Islands of Adventure

The Cat in the Hat:

This ride has an “ADA car”(what they seem to call the wheelchair accessible cars at Universal). I arrived and went through the normal queue, the ride was a walk on and I quickly arrived at the boarding area. The problem I ran into was staffing. It takes 2 people to secure the wheelchair in the car and only one was on duty. She called for an assistant and about 10 minutes later I was able to board. They open up the side and fold up the seat. Then you wheel in and they secure your chair tightly.

ADA Car
CatintheHat1.jpg

Regular Car
CatintheHat2.jpg

Dueling Dragons:

I decided not to try this one out. I was traveling solo and trying to save energy so I skipped the tougher transfers. Here is a picture of the test seat:

DuelingDragons.jpg

The Eighth Voyage of Sinbad:

A standard theater show where you may remain in your chair

Poseidon’s Fury:

This one surprised me I had no idea what it was. It is a walking tour inside of an ancient temple led by a guide. You walk from room to room and the wheelchair users will be directed to the front of the room by your tour guide. Overall I had no trouble with this ride and I was able to clearly see all of the action.

Jurassic Park River Adventure:

I was worried when I first saw the ride vehicle. The seats were way too low for me to transfer in and out of so when I got to the front I told the employee that I wouldn’t be able to make the transfer and asked if he could point me to the exit....but he surprised me with something amazing. They have a boat designed to transfers. They have a seat that raises and lowers:

JurrasicPark1.jpg

Then once the seat is in the up position they move a transfer bench into place.

JurrasicPark2.jpg

Overall this was very easy access for me.

Incredible Hulk Coaster:

Another ride I skipped but I did take a picture of the test seat:

Hulk.jpg

Doctor Doom’s Fearfall:

Another ride I skipped but I did take a picture of the test seat:

DocDoom.jpg

The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman:

The line was mainstreamed except at the very end. At the end of the line you have a choice to go up a ramp in one lane and up some steps in another. I’d advise using the ramp. The ride vehicle was a very easy transfer. I even came back here at the end of the day to ride again and even though I was tired it was still a very easy transfer. They will take your wheelchair from the entrance to the exit and it should be waiting for you there. I asked the employee at the exit to wheel it over to the car and there were no problems.

Spiderman ride vehicle:
Spiderman.jpg

Universal Studios

Shrek 4-D

A 3-D movie where you may remain in your chair. The wheelchair seating was in the center area of the theater instead of Disney’s normal back row. The standard seats move but the wheelchair seating area is stable.

Jimmy Neutron’s Nicktoon Blast.

They have an area right in front of the ride vehicles for those who wish to remain in their chairs or who want to avoid the motion. For others you could transfer int a vehicle.

Jimmy’s vehicle:
JimmyNeutron.jpg

Twister...Ride it Out.

This is a nice walk through attraction. Wheelchair users will be in the front row and I was able to see everything up close.

Revenge of the Mummy

I’d say this ride is similar to Dinosaur in WDW for transfers and smoothness(or lack of). I was able to transfer over into the car with no real problems but it’s a tougher transfer then some of the easy ones like Spiderman.

Mummy ride vehicle:
Mummy.jpg

Earthquake

In this one they strap your manual wheelchair into a subway car then toss the whole thing around. They strap your chair in VERY VERY tightly and considering how the subway car is tossed about I’m glad they did.

Beetlejuice’s Graveyard Revue

A standard theater show. They have seating in the middle level for wheelchair users.

Jaws

They have a spot in the back of some of the boats where they will tie down your manual chair. It was a fairly smooth ride overall.

Men in Black, Alien Attack

They had an interesting system here. It’s a 2 part process. On the first part you roll into the “docking vehicle” and they strap you down tight. Then they raise that vehicle up out of it’s recessed area and you’re now on a wheeled platform. When the accessible ride vehicle arrives they roll your platform onto the vehicle and secure it. The only problem I had was the gun cord wasn’t long enough for me to get full range of motion with my right hand holding the gun. Other then that it was a fun ride. As a warning there are a lot of quick spins on this one.

Docking vehicle:
MIB.jpg

E.T. Adventure

There is a ride vehicle that they will strap your wheelchair into and allow you to ride without transferring. It’s a nice smooth ride.

Ride vehicle as you enter:
ET1.jpg

Exit side of vehicle:
ET2.jpg

Universal Horror Make-Up Show

A standard theater show. They have seating in the middle level for wheelchair users.

Terminator 2:3-D

A great 3-D/live action show with seating in the center row of the theater.

The Simpson’s Ride

I didn’t get a picture of the vehicle so I’ll try to describe it. It’s 2 rows and holds 4 people in each row. The vehicle sits on the floor and I transferred to the side of the vehicle and then down onto the seat. It wasn’t a really easy transfer but it was a tough transfer in or out.

Thank you, Bill, for the report and especially the pictures. I have already put a link to it in the disABILITIES FAQ.

Great report!

We were at US/IOA in February with our son. We transfer him for most rides and your descriptions of the ease was perfect. No problems at all and the employees were incredibly helpful. The times we chose to have him stay in his chair were easy as well and I really felt like he was still able to enjoy the ride WITH us...at Disney, I often felt like he was upfront alone or we were stuck in the very back where his vision concerns ruled out any enjoyement.

We really enjoyed US/IOA. Great pics! Nan

This is wonderful!:thumbsup2
Looks like Cheshire Figment beat me in putting a link in the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
This should be very helpful and your pictures are great.

Bill, thanks so much for taking the time to write up a report and take pictures. This makes planning for our trip in October so much easier!

Thanks again!

thanks for the info and pics, very helpful.
i like to picture things in my head before i have to deal with them so i know what i can take my son on when we go next year.
youve also solved a question thats been bugging me for days! lol
last time we went, i remember going on a ride with my son (he was 4 at the time) the staff were trying to find a wheelchair for him to transfer into (he was in a disabled buggy at the time) it took them ages to find 1 but because son was so small if was too big for him, we just carried him on- like we planned in the 1st place. ive been trying to remember what ride it was, thanks to your pictures- its the ET ride!
looks like theres lots he can go on! :cool1:

[

Jurassic Park River Adventure:

I was worried when I first saw the ride vehicle. The seats were way too low for me to transfer in and out of so when I got to the front I told the employee that I wouldn’t be able to make the transfer and asked if he could point me to the exit....but he surprised me with something amazing. They have a boat designed to transfers. They have a seat that raises and lowers:

JurrasicPark1.jpg

Then once the seat is in the up position they move a transfer bench into place.

JurrasicPark2.jpg

Overall this was very easy access for me.

I wish they could do something like this for the Pirates ride at WDW.....

Thanks for the great report!!!!

That Jurassic Park ride lift is such a great idea! Disney should have that for some of their rides. (I don't use a wheelchair, so wouldn't need it, but I know it'd make things a lot easier for a lot of ppl who would need it.)

The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman:

The line was mainstreamed except at the very end. At the end of the line you have a choice to go up a ramp in one lane and up some steps in another. I’d advise using the ramp. The ride vehicle was a very easy transfer. I even came back here at the end of the day to ride again and even though I was tired it was still a very easy transfer. They will take your wheelchair from the entrance to the exit and it should be waiting for you there. I asked the employee at the exit to wheel it over to the car and there were no problems.

:rotfl2: Chicken!

Thanks for this report and photos. I am in an ECV so it is just nice to know that the lines are easily accessible and it sounds like they really have their act together for accommodations. It makes it easier for all that need accommodations. That moving platform looks really cool! It does seem like maybe Disney could take some hints from them.

Thank-you for the report Bill. I am in an electric wheelchair do they make you transfer into a regular chair before letting you on?

Thanks!

Betty

Bill seems to have skipped the Cartoon area of Islands of Adventure (either during his trip, or just in his report :)) but Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls has one log with one seat similar to this. The attendant can raise it for access, then lower it for the actual ride. It's the back seat (of two? three? it's been a while since I've been there). And Popeye & Bluto Bilge Rat Barges would likely be accessible in similar fashion to Kali River Rapids.

Thanks for the great photos and report! Seems like Universal has people on staff who are really creatively thinking about the needs of disabled people. Having such innovative solutions to ride vehicles vs. "one size fits all" is amazing. I still won't be able to ride anything since they don't accept power chairs but it's nice to know that this park is accessible to those who use manual chairs and/or can transfer.---Kathy

Thank-you for the report Bill. I am in an electric wheelchair do they make you transfer into a regular chair before letting you on?

Thanks!

Betty
Kathy answered that one.
I still won't be able to ride anything since they don't accept power chairs but it's nice to know that this park is accessible to those who use manual chairs and/or can transfer.---Kathy
There is a fairly regular poster here who had used his power wheelchair at Universal in the remote post. Then they decided there could be no power wheelchairs on any of their rides and one day, he was actually stopped just before boarding an attraction and told he could not use his power wheelchair.
There is a link to the Universal Riders's Guide in post #9 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the thread list for this board. This is what it says about power wheelchairs and ECVs:
We apologize, but none of the ride vehicles or attraction queues at Universal Orlando will accommodate Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECV’s) or electric wheelchairs. At those rides which can accommodate manual wheelchairs, guests may transfer from their ECVor electric wheelchair into a manual wheelchair that is provided at each location.

So, you will need to transfer from your power wheelchair to one of their park manual wheelchairs before entering any queues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter