Universal Value Hotel-NOT for us& why I love Whole Foods Orlando

BoardwalkFamily

Earning My Ears
If you are on the fence between value resort and any of the others on property, research very carefully. We did not enjoy our stay. One of the best things about staying close to Universal- easy access (love Uber!!!) to Whole Foods! Good luck!

Last edited:
I am sorry you are not having a good time. Did you ask to speak to a manager at the hotel? Unfortunately, I've stayed at POP, and with no inside corridor, I heard thump, thump, thump, all night, as people were moving their luggage or strollers over the cracks in the path outside my door. I've also had room not ready at 4pm at the Poly, and it took them to 2am to fix our not working properly door. And food left in the Poly's hallways, as well as in the Yacht Club. Sometimes, I have even seen it at RPR. If room dirty, call star services and ask to speak to the cleaning manager.

And I'm sorry, this time of year, many from all over come, as it's summer break for many, not only in the USA, there will be crowds. This is prime time when groups travel. When it's crowded, I always eat at off times. And I thought the food was in line with Disney prices. You can always walk over to SF, their food court is nice. Finally, I've seen some bad behavior in food and parks in all places, at home, and at Disney and Universal. Again, I'm sorry you're not enjoying the resort. I hope your vacation goes better today, and the rest of the time you are there.

Honestly it sounds like the only thing your really having an issue with is how others are behaving. Unfortunately that can happen anywhere whether its the Hard rock hotel or Cabana Bay. As for the room, I would have called the manager if I didn't feel it was right and the hotel ideally could do more and certainly I would probably tell someone so at least they know.

A couple years ago we went to cabana bay to check it out (we were at rpr). It was a fun theme but the resort itself was chaotic. Service at food court was painfully slow. And other guests were definitely bringing down the class factor. The majority of guests are fine but it just takes a few to spoil the experience.

While we were there the lobby was like a ghost town as far as employees go. In the food court there were two women acting belligerent towards a security worker and lots of “colorful “ language. Tables were dirty ...

Thanks for reminding me not to give this place another chance.

I am sorry you are not having a good time. Did you ask to speak to a manager at the hotel? Unfortunately, I've stayed at POP, and with no inside corridor, I heard thump, thump, thump, all night, as people were moving their luggage or strollers over the cracks in the path outside my door. I've also had room not ready at 4pm at the Poly, and it took them to 2am to fix our not working properly door. And food left in the Poly's hallways, as well as in the Yacht Club. Sometimes, I have even seen it at RPR. If room dirty, call star services and ask to speak to the cleaning manager.

And I'm sorry, this time of year, many from all over come, as it's summer break for many, not only in the USA, there will be crowds. This is prime time when groups travel. When it's crowded, I always eat at off times. And I thought the food was in line with Disney prices. You can always walk over to SF, their food court is nice. Finally, I've seen some bad behavior in food and parks in all places, at home, and at Disney and Universal. Again, I'm sorry you're not enjoying the resort. I hope your vacation goes better today, and the rest of the time you are there.
Thank you, appreciate the positive thoughts!

Last edited:
Honestly it sounds like the only thing your really having an issue with is how others are behaving. Unfortunately that can happen anywhere whether its the Hard rock hotel or Cabana Bay. As for the room, I would have called the manager if I didn't feel it was right and the hotel ideally could do more and certainly I would probably tell someone so at least they know.
Hi, yes we repeatedly talked to staff about the issues , I think when a hotel knows about a situation- say the trash all over the hallway,it is their responsibility to fix it.

Last edited:
Hi I am sorry you are not having a good experience. I just came back from there a couple of weeks ago and had a great time. We love Cabana Bay and always recommend it. I did not experience any of the things you are. We have stayed there the last couple of years and always have had a great visit. I do agree that the rooms need some updating it has been about 5 years and they are scheduled to be soon. My rooms personally were in good shape.

I know there have been others staying there that haven't run into the same thing you are. I think it is a hit or miss with any hotel or resort. It stinks when it happens to you.

I agree the tour groups can be a handful they were coming in full swing when I was leaving. It might be a good idea for Universal to hire some extra hands for that time around the resort.

I hope you have a better visit to Universal in the future.

We are seasoned WDW and U veterans, are DVC and have stayed at WDW value resorts, I have honestly never seen some of the things we saw this week at Cabana Bay. I am in no way a resort snob and we love Pop Century. I am writing this because if you are contemplating this value resort-know what you might be getting. Hallways filled with trash, our room floor was dirty, the rugs were old and torn, the furniture was old and dirty. Large, unruly,unsupervised tour groups.Dirty diapers left in hallways (not enough staff to clean common areas)We will never stay here again. If you are on the fence between value resort and any of the others on property, research very carefully. Good luck!

Please do contact Universal through their email. I stayed at Hard Rock two years ago, and had a few issues. I put them in writing after I got home. I was contacted via email and phone. They refunded a portion of my hotel fees as compensation. In my opinion that was more than was warranted for the issues. I appreciated that they didn't just try and offer me a free night on my next visit, or some other silly "compensation"

Please do contact Universal through their email. I stayed at Hard Rock two years ago, and had a few issues. I put them in writing after I got home. I was contacted via email and phone. They refunded a portion of my hotel fees as compensation. In my opinion that was more than was warranted for the issues. I appreciated that they didn't just try and offer me a free night on my next visit, or some other silly "compensation"
Thanks, for that suggestion! Really appreciate that!

How are the rugs and furniture old when it's barely a year old? Seems a little melodramatic.
Hi, this resort has been open since 2014, I believe. I wrote the trip report truly to save some other people from the grief we experienced, sorry you feel this is melodramatic. We expect cleanliness when getting a hotel room. Obviously these rooms get worn out- it is definitely time for an upgrade in the one we stayed in.

We’ve always had luck at CBBR but had gone in Fall and Spring. It could be a matter of time of year that you go. I’ve had similar issues at Saratoga Springs where one villa was fine and another looked like it was neglected for ten years. Do the large tour groups stay in one block of the resort or are they scattered throughout the place? Is CBBR the only resort that big tour groups stay at or do they also stay at others? I had a Uni trip planned for March that got moved to early February.

Hi, this resort has been open since 2014, I believe. I wrote the trip report truly to save some other people from the grief we experienced, sorry you feel this is melodramatic. We expect cleanliness when getting a hotel room. Obviously these rooms get worn out- it is definitely time for an upgrade in the one we stayed in.

Didn't it open May 2017. So barely a year old.
Sorry your vacation didn't go well.

Didn't it open May 2017. So barely a year old.
Sorry your vacation didn't go well.
The new towers had opened in May 2017. We were there in a two bedroom suite. A pipe burst over us our first night and we were moved to two family suites in the Continental. The original resort did open in 2014.

I don’t know why you changed your original post when it was already copied by others reading and replying to you

And to change the title to moderator, please remove post
??

I read through threads frequently and could have been assistance to you if you had sent me a Pm

At this point, I won’t be able to delete what you have posted
You’ve been quoted a few times already

When a person has negative things to say in any portion of the Disboards, be prepared for the replies and backlash

From what was posted, a bit too heavy for those that love that hotel

Always take pictures and show to the manager of the resort if it is that bad

I’ve not experienced dirty diapers and hotel corridors in the state that you wrote about

If I did, I would have taken my park time to discuss it with the GM

It is sad when a hotel guest regrets staying at any hotel

Hope next time you take pictures and discuss it with the manager while still at the hotel

So hope you won’t experience issues like this ever again no matter where you stay

I don’t know why you changed your original post when it was already copied by others reading and replying to you

And to change the title to moderator, please remove post
??

I read through threads frequently and could have been assistance to you if you had sent me a Pm

At this point, I won’t be able to delete what you have posted
You’ve been quoted a few times already

When a person has negative things to say in any portion of the Disboards, be prepared for the replies and backlash

From what was posted, a bit too heavy for those that love that hotel

Always take pictures and show to the manager of the resort if it is that bad

I’ve not experienced dirty diapers and hotel corridors in the state that you wrote about

If I did, I would have taken my park time to discuss it with the GM

It is sad when a hotel guest regrets staying at any hotel

Hope next time you take pictures and discuss it with the manager while still at the hotel

So hope you won’t experience issues like this ever again no matter where you stay

Thanks, you are so right- not prepared for the backlash- didn’t know that. I honestly thought people would want to know about our experience. I did talk to the hotel, several times, we did take some pictures. They all seemed to know about these issues but had an, “ oh well” type mentality. I had sent emails to the hotel itself and to Loews about our experience, I have not heard from either. We were trying to salvage an expensive trip and make the most of what we could. I regret this whole trip and you are so right it is sad when you regret staying at a hotel. I had read so, so many great things about the resort, that is why we stayed there.I was shocked at our experiences. Thanks

Thanks, you are so right- not prepared for the backlash- didn’t know that. I honestly thought people would want to know about our experience. I did talk to the hotel, several times, we did take some pictures. They all seemed to know about these issues but had an, “ oh well” type mentality. I had sent emails to the hotel itself and to Loews about our experience, I have not heard from either. We were trying to salvage an expensive trip and make the most of what we could. I regret this whole trip and you are so right it is sad when you regret staying at a hotel. I had read so, so many great things about the resort, that is why we stayed there.I was shocked at our experiences. Thanks

Hi TBH I don't think it was backlash about your experience but how you did the write up. I totally understand when you are in that situation you are upset and may write how you feel. I know for me if I wait a few days I would write about the same stuff but in a different way. I wouldn't write from my feelings at that moment.

I have been on these boards for almost 10 years and visiting Universal about 8 of them. I have stayed at almost all the resorts and believe me I find things I would like to improve in all of them. I am also a a Trip Advisor reviewer so I take it seriously and like others input. I think it is great to share your experiences because I know it can enlighten people about potential issues good or bad.

If you look up my trip reports you will see I am one of the peeps who gives Cabana Bay lots of love. I have personally had great experiences there. I do really feel bad that you did not. I think resorts have off days and even weeks. I think what the biggest issue was with your post was telling people to stay else where. This is just my personal opinion but I think reviews are a subjective statement that should be used to inform only.

I am glad that you wrote to the management and took pictures. It happens everywhere. Trust me I just had an issue with a hotel on our way back home this trip. I wrote an honest review from my point on the hotel and grounds. I did specifically point out what I saw but I did not make it too negative like I have seen on Trip Advisor. I did get a response on Trip Advisor and it was a nice one and they were going to look into some of the points brought up.

I just stayed at PBH and had another great experience. I have been going on Trip Advisor and I can't believe some of the reviews. It is like did you stay in the same place. It is amazing how we all have our interpretations of places.

Anyways I just wanted to say the peeps on here are great. I have found this forum (Universal) one of the best around. I hope you will come back and give other reports as you see fit.

Sorry you had a bad stay, that is hard when you are spending a lot on airfare, rooms,tickets,car service,food,etc; I appreciate your thoughts on the resort (backlash- is why I rarely post). Hope you have better trips in the future!

The only Universal resorts we ever stay at are Hard Rock and Royal Pacific. I'd say over the years, we've stayed a combined 15 times between the 2, and have never had any complaints at all. Housekeeping can be a bit late, but a simple call to the front desk can remedy that. Nobody beats Disney for theming, but I would say the Hard Rock is our favorite resort in Orlando.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter