Unsure of which Dining Plan to choose...quick service vs DDP

Bunnyma

Earning My Ears
We are going to WDW for four days during spring break. This is only our second time at WDW, the last time was in 2006 when my children were 4 and 9 months old. That time, we somehow lucked into a MK view room on the club level at the Contemporary for something like $350 a night. I have never been able to find a deal like that since, and I've tried. We did not do much park dining as the club level breakfast and snacks served our young family well at the time. We have been to DL many times but it is a very different experience than WDW. Anyhoo, this time, we are staying in a moderate resort we will be in the parks 3 days and will spend one day at Universal. My tween and teen boys eat a lot of food so I thought doing the quick service dining plan would be a good way to give them some freedom in choosing what they eat. I also booked us an early dinner at TH one evening. Realizing that on the regular dining plan we would each have 4 table service meals. I made ADR's for three other places just in case we decided to upgrade. We currently have an ADR for Chip and Dale breakfast at Epcot, dinner at Chefs de France and a late dinner at Sanna in addition to Tusker House. My husband was initially against table service because he thought it would waste time in the parks. My thought is that it is going to be crowded because of spring break and we may need a place to chill out and get away from the crowds. My younger tween says he is interested in the character meals, my teenager says he just wants to "grub". I figure just 2 table service meals will cover the difference between quick service and the regular plan since the difference in price for four days for four adults is about $400. What do you recommend? Should I upgrade to the regular dining plan or cancel those adr's and keep it at quick service plan?

Totally up to you, of course, but I'm a big fan of the idea of taking a sit-down meal as a touring break. If you use a good touring plan and fastpass selection, I wouldn't worry too much about missed park time. Plus if you're into autographs, they come to you at the character meals and you don't have to wait in lines.

But it is more money and it is a time commitment. Also remember to factor in any tips at sit down meals (your list does not include any "gratuities included" locations).

Yes. I am truly on the fence about what to do. If I sign us up for the regular plan and then everyone feels tied to the table service reservations, that could be problematic OR they love the breaks of table service and I am a hero! I forgot, in 2006 we did go to the Winnie the Pooh dinner but if was much cheaper 12 years ago and we didn't have to pay for the baby. Both kids loved it then. Not sure my 16 year old cares about Chip and Dale...but he loves a good breakfast. And both boys are not giving a strong preference but they don't understand how it will be different from DL. Thanks for the reminder about tips. That is an important factor.

If your spring break is one of the weeks around Easter, I'd keep the TS meals. Those will be the busiest weeks of the "spring break" season. If you're not going one of those two weeks, then I would sit down with the fam and talk about it some more.

Your TH and GG meals will be just under $350 total for the four of you plus your tip. If you know you want the QSDP no matter what, then I think the math is in your favor to do the upgrade and keep your other TS meals as well. Assuming Chef de France is on the evening you plan to be in EP anyway, the only one that has the potential to feel like an obligation is Sanaa. You'll have to leave whatever your doing about an hour before your ADR there just to travel and then after eating, you've got to travel back to somewhere. If it were me, I'd ditch Sanaa and make an ADR for somewhere in the parks or close to the park where you'll be.

I'd probably skip the dining plan altogether if neither really suits how you want to eat.

I would do it. The sit down forced break is so helpful. I also hate dealing with QS in parks during busy crowded weeks. Resorts are fine, but lines and struggling to find a table in the park Easter week is not my idea of a vacation. I would be choosing DDP or pay OOP. Your ADR choices are great!

Thanks!
I am crunching numbers an OOP might be the way to go. My husband now thinks I am insane.

We figured out that if we kept the qs and our ADR's at Garden Grill ($140) and Tusker House ($240) for a total of $380 OOP if we stuck with QS, we would definitely lose money as the QS was going to cost us 839.84 and the DDP would be 1207.83 for a difference of $368. So it made sense to switch to DDP. But then my 16 year-old son said, "When have we ever spent over a thousand dollars on food in four days?" He has a good point. Both of my kids said they didn't see themselves eating that many snacks on top of meals and my husband pointed out that we are spending one of the 4 days at Universal anyway. So I canceled the plan and we are going to tally up our food expenses after the trip and see what we actually spent and if it comes close to. Thanks to those who gave me input. I really wish the plan actually didn't have so much food. KWIM?

When we aren't using the DDP or QSDP, we often eat at Signature restaurant lounges and make a meal out of apps. We get the lovely atmosphere and food quality without the stress of making ADRs and spending a ton of money on entrees.

If you want a couple of ADRs, Sanaa is also great OOP, order a bread service with extra bread and a couple other apps, everyone is happy. Another great OOP location is Via Napoli where you can share a pizza and salad with the family. To please your tween, the least expensive character meal is 'Ohana breakfast, I believe. We also like to go to Tokyo Dining and order sushi to share with the table. You can often get a last-minute ADR or walk-up here.

Happy planning!

the last time was in 2006 when my children were 4 and 9 months old. That time, we somehow lucked into a MK view room on the club level at the Contemporary for something like $350 a night. I have never been able to find a deal like that since, and I've tried.
Those were the good old days! Was that a regular Disney rate at the time or was that a special through a third-party? Just curious to understand if rates have increased that much.

I think your plan too go OOP is the best. It will give you the most flexibility and since you are not committed to a lot of ADRs, I think it will work well. Especially with two tweens, the increase in price in 2018 to cover alcohol may not e worth it.

Hi. I just replied to your other post. I have no idea how we got that rate. We did book through AAA. It was a unicorn deal. But I fear it has ruined WDW for us forever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts