Unusual ways you have gained money?

When I was nine or so I found a ten dollar bill. It was just sitting there neatly folded over the sewer grate like someone deliberately put it there. In 1977 that was a lot of money for a kid, and my Mom said I could keep it all if I shared it with my kid sister. So...off we went to the neighborhood candy/variety store of the type you just don't see anymore. We spent 7 of the dollars on The Bride Game. We played that game until it practically fell apart. You had to go around the board collecting the things you'd need for your chosen wedding style. I was *always* the semi-formal bride because the cake had purple seashells on it and I thought it was so pretty. You'd never see a game like that for girls nowadays. But I digress...the 3 dollars we had left over we bought candy at a time when full-sized Hershey's Bars cost 15 cents. I know we bought lots of 2 cents and penny candy along with the chocolate. My Mom didn't even bat an eye when we came in and started playing the game surrounded by candy. She didn't even make us ration it to last like Halloween candy.

My mom went Christmas shopping once when I was young, probably early high school or late middle school, and grabbed my winter coat instead of hers for whatever reason, she left the change and the receipts in my coat when she left it back at the house but I didn't realize it until after I had spent the money since I thought it was mine, she had put the receipts in a hidden pocket that I didn't find until much later, which is when I realized where that money must have actually come from, sorry mom!!!!

When I was nine or so I found a ten dollar bill. It was just sitting there neatly folded over the sewer grate like someone deliberately put it there. In 1977 that was a lot of money for a kid, and my Mom said I could keep it all if I shared it with my kid sister. So...off we went to the neighborhood candy/variety store of the type you just don't see anymore. We spent 7 of the dollars on The Bride Game. We played that game until it practically fell apart. You had to go around the board collecting the things you'd need for your chosen wedding style. I was *always* the semi-formal bride because the cake had purple seashells on it and I thought it was so pretty. You'd never see a game like that for girls nowadays. But I digress...the 3 dollars we had left over we bought candy at a time when full-sized Hershey's Bars cost 15 cents. I know we bought lots of 2 cents and penny candy along with the chocolate. My Mom didn't even bat an eye when we came in and started playing the game surrounded by candy. She didn't even make us ration it to last like Halloween candy.

https://embarrassingtreasures.com/2012/11/25/spin-again-sunday-the-bride-game-1971/

I looked it up. Your description reminded me of the Pretty, Pretty Princess board game when I was younger.

Oh, I just remembered a good one. Back in around 2006 or so, when the Nintendo Wii came out, I waited in line at Toys R Us and bought a consoles and several controllers. I continued to buy up controllers at Target stores and one more console. A couple weeks later, when everyone was sold out of EVERYTHING Wii related and it was nearing Christmas, we listed all the items on Ebay. We made nearly $800 in profit!

https://embarrassingtreasures.com/2012/11/25/spin-again-sunday-the-bride-game-1971/

I looked it up. Your description reminded me of the Pretty, Pretty Princess board game when I was younger.

ZOMG! That brought me right back to sitting on our orange shag rug playing this game. We also had Mystery Date. You know, the one with the plastic door that you twist the knob and open to see what kind of date you got. Nobody wanted poor Pointdexter, but I thought he was sweet.

I just remembered-my brother-in-law won a Nintendo Wii out of a crane machine on the Wildwood boardwalk. Actually, it was a brick wrapped in heavy paper and tape, but he took it to the back of the arcade and got the game.

Oh, I just remembered a good one. Back in around 2006 or so, when the Nintendo Wii came out, I waited in line at Toys R Us and bought a consoles and several controllers. I continued to buy up controllers at Target stores and one more console. A couple weeks later, when everyone was sold out of EVERYTHING Wii related and it was nearing Christmas, we listed all the items on Ebay. We made nearly $800 in profit!

Lol. That just seems dirty. Like hoarding ADRs but worse with the money involved. Snooze ya lose.

The supermarket near me charges a 25 cent deposit to use the carts. You get your quarter back when you return the cart to the corral or front of the store. It cuts down on but doesn't totally eliminate scattered carts throughout the parking lot.

I make about $8 or $9 per fiscal year returning the carts and getting someone's deposit back. Enough for a couple slices of pizza or ice cream cones on the Boardwalk. :Pinkbounc

ZOMG! That brought me right back to sitting on our orange shag rug playing this game. We also had Mystery Date. You know, the one with the plastic door that you twist the knob and open to see what kind of date you got. Nobody wanted poor Pointdexter, but I thought he was sweet.

I just remembered-my brother-in-law won a Nintendo Wii out of a crane machine on the Wildwood boardwalk. Actually, it was a brick wrapped in heavy paper and tape, but he took it to the back of the arcade and got the game.

Haha! We had Dream Phone.

Lol. That just seems dirty. Like hoarding ADRs but worse with the money involved. Snooze ya lose.

Hey, it was fair game. I purchased in stock product at local stores as a regular customer. I just got lucky and found some. All the buyers were in different states, and we did straight auctions and let people fight for it. We didn't price anything sky high. We started all the auctions at $1 and set the reserve prices at retail price. It was insane how much over retail people were willing to pay for a CONTROLLER. We sold one for over $150. Retail price was like $40 or something like that.

Supply and demand good for you that’s called capitalism at its finest. People don’t realize everything we buy has this but complain about little things yet they don’t complain about other people over paying for real estate in there neighborhoods and bringing prices up unless they don’t own a home. Everything has a price and it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay at the time of sale.

When I was 8 we went overseas and had a layover in Hong Kong. The locals couldn’t stop staring at these 3 little blonde girls and one of them handed me a bill of some sort (I can’t remember the denomination). I finally spent it when I went back to Hong Kong 6 years later.

i'm wondering if the same will be done with the sony playstation classics that are being released in december. within hours of the announcement that they were going to be available for pre order many retailers were sold out and are now just taking back orders.

A few months ago, I got on a my local city bus and walked past a seat someone had just left. There was a cigarette packet (probably with cigarettes in it, I didnt investigate) and a €5 note I walked past the seat, took the €5 note and sat down on another seat.

Supply and demand good for you that’s called capitalism at its finest. People don’t realize everything we buy has this but complain about little things yet they don’t complain about other people over paying for real estate in there neighborhoods and bringing prices up unless they don’t own a home. Everything has a price and it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay at the time of sale.

Yep. It's like how people will pay crazy prices online for things like Disney popcorn buckets and mouse ear headbands because they are "sold out" and then a few weeks later, Disney restocks the items in the parks and they are EVERYWHERE and no one is buying them.

I could probably make a solid living by making an effort to get these kinds of items and then resell them, since I live 15 min away from Disneyland AND have an AP that gives me a 20% merchandise discount. Plenty of people do this, but I'm too lazy to get in line at 4am for a new mug from Trader Sam's...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!