UP! Too Much Of A Downer!

We went to see it, or try. A big bad storm was coming so they had to cancel. They let us stay in the theater if we wanted and then brought out birds for us to meet up close. I really liked the up close meet they had.

Anyway, the part we saw had a couple moments, like when the bird flies under people making arm tunnel .. but overall it was kinda slow. A few birds were not cooperating. It was .... cute but .... the character infusion was unnecessary.

What made me chuckle was DS was very upset that Dug and Russell were in the show because to him they belong out in front of the tree. First time I've seen him make a connect like that.

39869094_1015961555276029_9078769644868730880_n.jpg

We really enjoyed the old show sans doug and russell... the clips i have seen of the new show seem a little forced and awkward, wild animals dont always hit their cues, i think the characters take away from the real stars (the birds) in this case... and im normally an ip fan

We really enjoyed the old show sans doug and russell... the clips i have seen of the new show seem a little forced and awkward, wild animals dont always hit their cues, i think the characters take away from the real stars (the birds) in this case... and im normally an ip fan

THIS X1000!!!!!!

We enjoyed the original. I enjoy IP too, but I actually enjoyed the fact that no everything was about IP at AK. It kept it a bit more educational and natural feeling. I know I know, not that there's anything natural about wild birds being trained for stage shows.

It's great they try and refresh a show that is essentially something that is done practically everywhere (say, a local zoo). If you've seen one "bird show" where they fly over your heads, you've seen them all.

It's important to me though that they keep it educational for the kids who haven't seen these shows lots of times (like us adults). Not having seen it, not sure if the characters detract from the educational aspect or keep them entertained enough to help sink some of the information home.

We recently saw the show for the first time since they revamped it with Up. I've always enjoyed the birds, but found the Up tie-in seemed forced and not very cohesively themed.

Oh, and we noticed a lot of people getting up and leaving halfway through, which I found kind of odd since the show is not that long.

I'm also normally a big fan of IP infusions, and LOVE Up, but I was skeptical of the tie in. I loved the old show since it was just about the birds, and featured so many of them. I'll see the new show next month, so we'll see! I wonder when the changes will be implemented...

How they could have done an Up! infusion to the show without making use of the primary avian character in the movie, Kevin, was always a mystery to my wife and I. We had previously been looking forward to seeing the new show but watching some video of it prior to our trip in June 2018 took it completely off our list of 'must-do' attractions. I'm glad to hear they are planning to rewrite it and hopefully they have more success with it after that's done.

When you realize how many layers of decision-makers a change like Up had to go through, I am stunned that no one said, “wait, voice over characters and live animals may not work well together”. I cannot fathom how this made it through Committee all the way to the show.

We saw the show a couple of weeks ago and felt that it was nothing short of a train wreck on many fronts. The worst part to us was the female character -- it wasn't even the costumed characters running off stage every few minutes and the distinct lack of birds in a bird show. She was intolerable. I can't imagine this would benefit from an Amy Schumer or other comedian rewrite (?!?) -- strikes me as a completely back to the drawing board kind of situation.

We saw it in June. It was cute, but definitely focused more on the characters than the birds.

I've noticed that a LOT of characters with spoken lines do this weird, exaggerated body movement when they're "speaking" their lines. It really makes me cringe because I can't help but picture a human doing those movements without a costume on.

1w7nfc.jpg

Normally I take reviews with a grain of salt and wait to form my opinions. However, in this case I wish I had listened intently to these reviews and avoided this mess. It is as bad as everyone says. After 10 minutes of the show, other than the flyover beginning, we had seen 3 birds. The Up characters add absolutely nothing and in fact less than nothing by taking away from the show. The lead woman and her dancing in heavy boots is poor. There is little humour in the show, the pacing is slow to the point of abysmal, and the bird moments drag with most of the time with too many birds just walking across the stage.

Where are the great moment like taking the dollar bill, an owl swooping at the people with their cameras on stage, where’s the raptor swooping over people’s heads and all the humour of the previous show? If you haven’t seen the travesty that is Up try to watch a YouTube video (even that is painful) and do yourself a favour and listen to the reviews here and stay very far away.

I agree that shows need to be updated. I have not seen the show in person, but watched videos of the show (they are painful) and it seems that it wasn't ready when it opened (or just badly done).
Hopefully they can fix it and make it better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter