Upcoming port/itinerary changes HERE

Something I find interesting...

Just checked the GC port schedule and see Fantasy on every week thru Dec. I didn't look beyond that. (FYI there are 4-5 ships per day in port most weeks. yikes!)
Didn't see Fantasy on Falmouth or Cozumel yet beyond the 10/14 western. Unsure if they aren't updated or if Disney has a diff plan to pair with GC. Falmouth has 4+ ships in port each week too.

Which site are your using for port schedules? The ones I've checked haven't been updated. I don't see where you see 4-5 ships. The day we're there, only the MSC Divina is in port with us.

Last edited:
There's a report on Trip Advisor that a cruise ship is scheduled into Key West on Friday. Don't know the line or size of ship. This may be a test run to see how KW can handle crowds. By most accounts it will be several weeks at least before they will be ready to welcome tourists in any numbers. But a cruise ship is so much more self contained so this may be an option sooner than previously thought.

That seems really unlikely. The lower Keys just fully reopened for residents yesterday and their recovery homepage does not show readiness for tourists. http://www.keysrecovery.org/re-entry/

You are right. The person who announced the cruise ship visit on TA has since said that the decision has been reversed and the ship will not be visiting KW at this time. But I will say this person is physically in KW at this time and has a good rep for info, so I don't doubt the basic premise. It sounds like Oct 20 is the magic date Key West is aiming for tourism to resume at some level (weekend of Fantasy Fest). Wouldn't surprise me if KW pops back on cruise dockets shortly after that if all goes well in October.

Thanks. That's the one I use and I couldn't understand where the OP was getting 4-5 ships on most days.
Tuesdays seem especially bad, and that's usually when Fantasy comes in to GC.

I'll say with the Keys, there simply is no way that they can take a ship in the next two weeks. They're still asking residents who evacuated not to return. I think Fantasy Fest may be optimistic unless they're getting everyone to help clean stuff up who comes in for the event.

We are on a January out of San Juan as well...... Not sure what to do..... Thinking we should wait for Disney to call it off so we don;t lose our deposit.... Plus if Disney calls it off we may get those nice discounts they offered when Irma hit...
I might rather lose a few hundred bucks than have to fly into and stay in Puerto Rico in the hurricane and flooding aftermath because Disney didnt cancel the cruise.

At the very least, I would try to get them to let me reschedule to a different cruise.

Caribbean ports are not the only ones affected. We are currently on the WBTA, and it was just announced that we will be arriving in NYC a day early and skipping Newfoundland due to hurricane weather. We are porting in NY overnight rather than disembarking a day early.

Caribbean ports are not the only ones affected. We are currently on the WBTA, and it was just announced that we will be arriving in NYC a day early and skipping Newfoundland due to hurricane weather. We are porting in NY overnight rather than disembarking a day early.
Hopefully, both Jose and Maria have moved away by the time you make it closer to NY. Jose has been stalled off the northeast coast for days and it's not clear yet whether Maria will join him. Hope you're having an awesome trip!!

This is very helpful. Which ports sustained damage and are closed and which are still open throughout the caribbean.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...port-by-port-look-after-irma-maria/685467001/

We sail on 11/4. We are planning on a western itinerary at this point but have not heard anything from DCL yet. The one thing I am really curious about is we are on Grand Cayman's schedule for Wednesday that week, not the traditional Tuesday. Since Grand Cayman is in between Cozumel and Jamaica, I don't know that we could do a traditional western itinerary and still do GC on a Wednesday. They would have to go from Cozumel to Falmouth and then back to GC to make it work. I have a feeling we'll end up with something different. Aside from our sailing though, it looks like Fantasy is in GC every Tuesday from now through December and those sailings will likely be the standard western route.

On a cruise that is suppose to go to San Juan in March 2018, not gonna worry too much about it till then. Other cruises I'm booked on go to Nassau and Castaway Cay and Bermuda so not as concerned

I might rather lose a few hundred bucks than have to fly into and stay in Puerto Rico in the hurricane and flooding aftermath because Disney didnt cancel the cruise.

At the very least, I would try to get them to let me reschedule to a different cruise.

I figure that the cruise would be cancelled well in advance of actually arrive in Puerto Rico since January is our travel date.... I will be reaching out to my Dreams Agent prior to my PIF date in October for guidance.

I figure that the cruise would be cancelled well in advance of actually arrive in Puerto Rico since January is our travel date.... I will be reaching out to my Dreams Agent prior to my PIF date in October for guidance.

Part of my wanting to wait is booking another cruise now prices have definitely increased . I booked this current cruise onboard over a year in advance.... If I want a different cruise I would be trying to book within a few months and much higher prices that I wouldn't be able to afford, unless Disney cancels and offers a 25% discount.

You are right. The person who announced the cruise ship visit on TA has since said that the decision has been reversed and the ship will not be visiting KW at this time. But I will say this person is physically in KW at this time and has a good rep for info, so I don't doubt the basic premise. It sounds like Oct 20 is the magic date Key West is aiming for tourism to resume at some level (weekend of Fantasy Fest). Wouldn't surprise me if KW pops back on cruise dockets shortly after that if all goes well in October.

Stunningly, Royal Caribbean's travel update for today says they will be making port in Key West on Sunday Sept 24th. Just don't see how's that possible. And, I am not sure how appropriate it is considering all the challenges still facing the lower Keys.

Stunningly, Royal Caribbean's travel update for today says they will be making port in Key West on Sunday Sept 24th. Just don't see how's that possible. And, I am not sure how appropriate it is considering all the challenges still facing the lower Keys.

Which ship was that for?
The updates I saw earlier said they've swapped their KW stops with either a day at sea or Freeport.

Airport is open, seaport is open, roads are open, power is mostly restored, I guess they feel they are ready. Don't underestimate the eagerness of a tourism based economy to bring back the tourists.

Part of my wanting to wait is booking another cruise now prices have definitely increased . I booked this current cruise onboard over a year in advance.... If I want a different cruise I would be trying to book within a few months and much higher prices that I wouldn't be able to afford, unless Disney cancels and offers a 25% discount.

I've decided we are in it for the long haul... our PIF is 9/29 and I already got the email and call from concierge for our requests on excursions and anything else we may want. Cancelling now or later won't change anything for us since our hotel is cancelable and the flights are going to be just as much a pain in a few months as they are now. In my email to concierge I will ask if they know anything that they can pass on but I doubt anyone knows what will happen by January. As you said, if Disney makes the first move we may benefit in some fashion versus making the choice today. We paid for this on gift cards so having them on hand would actually make me more nervous than having them tied up on our January cruise. My only fear is the cruise goes on with many changes that we don't like and there isn't anything we can do about it (since its in the contract) but if that happens so be it I suppose. We're pretty good at making lemonade as needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!