Update on Buzz scoring problems (an answer to my letter)!

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Folks, some of you will recall that about three weeks ago I sent letters to both the president and VP of Disneyland re. the various scoring issues on Buzz Lightyear -- if you exceed ≈ 2,096,900, your score resets; often pictures come through at the the exit without scores and vice versa. About eighteen months ago, scores above 2,096,900 were permitted so I presumed that disallowing them was a recent decision.

Today I got a call from Cheryl in Guest Experiences at DL. My letter had been referred to her and she'd looked into the issue in some detail. She explained that scores above 2,096,900 were never meant to be allowed. With the last software/ride upgrade, they realized that they were so the change was made to have them reset. As to why that's a rule, she wasn't sure but said she'd look into it and get back to me. I know this isn't an issue for most people but it annoys the h&*# out of me. I came out of the ride last Sunday knowing that I did well. I was then disappointed to find out that I'd exceeded 2,096,900 by about 23,000 points. I liken it to working 20 hours of overtime and looking forward to that fat paycheck. When it comes, you're told "Oh, by the way: we don't pay for overtime." I know it's not the same thing, but, as I say, it's exceptionally annoying. I try to keep track of my score in my head but it's not always easy. I exceed 2,090,900 at least once per visit. I wish they'd fix it. It used to be allowed!

The other problems such as scores not coming through to the photo kiosks at the end of the ride were issues she'd raise with the appropriate people. Hopefully those annoyances will be fixed. That's a problem that effects everyone, not just me.

Folks, some of you will recall that about three weeks ago I sent letters to both the president and VP of Disneyland re. the various scoring issues on Buzz Lightyear -- if you exceed ≈ 2,096,900, your score resets; often pictures come through at the the exit without scores and vice versa. About eighteen months ago, scores above 2,096,900 were permitted so I presumed that disallowing them was a recent decision.

Today I got a call from Cheryl in Guest Experiences at DL. My letter had been referred to her and she'd looked into the issue in some detail. She explained that scores above 2,096,900 were never meant to be allowed. With the last software/ride upgrade, they realized that they were so the change was made to have them reset. As to why that's a rule, she wasn't sure but said she'd look into it and get back to me. I know this isn't an issue for most people but it annoys the h&*# out of me. I came out of the ride last Sunday knowing that I did well. I was then disappointed to find out that I'd exceeded 2,096,900 by about 23,000 points. I liken it to working 20 hours of overtime and looking forward to that fat paycheck. When it comes, you're told "Oh, by the way: we don't pay for overtime." I know it's not the same thing, but, as I say, it's exceptionally annoying. I try to keep track of my score in my head but it's not always easy. I exceed 2,090,900 at least once per visit. I wish they'd fix it. It used to be allowed!

The other problems such as scores not coming through to the photo kiosks at the end of the ride were issues she'd raise with the appropriate people. Hopefully those annoyances will be fixed. That's a problem that effects everyone, not just me.
Well not everyone. ;) Some of us can't break 100,000. LOL. Hope they get it fixed for the more talented people though!

I'm guessing it's something to do with data storage.

Really? I suppose that's possible but generally data storage is cheap. Moreover, it only has to be stored for a short time. Since only about 1% of players will score that high, it can't imagine it being an issue for them.

Really? I suppose that's possible but generally data storage is cheap. Moreover, it only has to be stored for a short time. Since only about 1% of players will score that high, it can't imagine it being an issue for them.

I don't mean that they wouldn't have enough data storage space but I'm thinking about the nature of binary data. It probably has to do with that. It's been over 20 years since I've done any type of computer programming, so I don't really anything anymore, but this is what triggered in my brain when I read about this problem.

I don't mean that they wouldn't have enough data storage space but I'm thinking about the nature of binary data. It probably has to do with that. It's been over 20 years since I've done any type of computer programming, so I don't really anything anymore, but this is what triggered in my brain when I read about this problem.

This is most likely correct. Does anyone remember "flipping the score" on an old arcade game like Galaga? The fact is that they just didn't allocate the memory to it because they didn't think it was necessary. I've known several people who could do that, but you have to play for a while. It's not entirely dissimilar to the causes for the "Y2K" bug where dates would flip back to 1900, though in that case the "19" was hard coded, but it's similar in principle.

Yeah, I understand. I considered that myself when this first became a problem. Again, though: it simply doesn't feel likely to me. The park must use dozens of gigabytes of data every day. I can't imagine that needing an additional .001% of that (probably) for one attraction would be a problem.

This is most likely correct. Does anyone remember "flipping the score" on an old arcade game like Galaga? The fact is that they just didn't allocate the memory to it because they didn't think it was necessary.

I suppose that makes sense. But what bothers me is that it used to be possible. They made a choice to disallow it. Again, it's super annoying when you leave the ride after a stellar game and you did so well that you're penalized by losing nearly all of your points.

Again, it's super annoying when you leave the ride after a stellar game and you did so well that you're penalized by losing nearly all of your points.
This is the true definition of a First World Problem.

I suppose that makes sense. But what bothers me is that it used to be possible. They made a choice to disallow it. Again, it's super annoying when you leave the ride after a stellar game and you did so well that you're penalized by losing nearly all of your points.

Well, it was probably a coding change, either intentional or not. The number seems arbitrary if its intentional, so it is most likely a computing issue. Galaga wouldn't let you put your initials in either if you flipped to a low score. You can always add it in your head.

Well, it was probably a coding change, either intentional or not.
Oh yes -- it was intentional. At least I was told that it was. Apparently it was always supposed to have a cap but they only realized recently (about 20 month ago) that one wasn't in place. So they changed it, much to my great annoyance. Yes, I could add my score in my head and often do. But it's not the same as seeing your name on the board next to a crazy score.

See? Disney really does care about Guest Experience, both the big things and small! And when the CM said she would get back to you, expect that call. She will get back to you. This has been our experience with Guest Experience CMs just about every time. So glad that you got a response to your letter and that you got to learn some new things about the inner workings of Buzz scoring. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us here. :)

See? Disney really does care about Guest Experience, both the big things and small! And when the CM said she would get back to you, expect that call. She will get back to you. This has been our experience with Guest Experience CMs just about every time. So glad that you got a response to your letter and that you got to learn some new things about the inner workings of Buzz scoring. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us here. :)

Thanks -- and my pleasure :-). She was really kind and I do, in fact, expect a call back. She sounded like she meant it.

It's only been two days, but I'm already anxious to get back to the park. What's wrong with me? ;-).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter