(Complete 4/20!) How Many Cookies Does One Couple Need? - Dec 2023 Trip Report

We were in EPCOT on the 16th and the rain was no joke. We ended up bailing about 5:00. I had seen the forecast a week prior and booked a Chef Mickeys and a San Angel Inn as back ups (we were originally planning for food booths for dinner). The kids all voted Chef Mickeys since we were staying at BLT. By the time we got back the skys had opened!

Way to go!! That's a big accomplishment! I don't think I've ever gotten it because my husband always scores higher than me.
You should make your husband go in a separate car, that way you both can get it! :)
How cool! Did the stormtroopers interact with you in there? That would have startled me!
Nope, just looked around a bit. But it was super cool - and I was also definitely wary about them moving and startling folks!
The historians are the best! I love that the jokes change every time based on the historians.
ME TOO! Makes it a bit different every time. The part I loved the best this time was how the girl historian had a huge crush on Hans - so funny. :)
I skipped Star Tours on our past few trips but LOVED it on this last trip. I know it usually has short waits and isn't a must-do for everyone, but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it now.
I like it better when I don't get Naboo - it felt like for a while that every ride ended with Naboo. I'm so glad you loved it recently! It's a good ride. :)
Oh no! I wonder how long the VQ can get, that's the longest I've heard.
I wondered the same thing! I'll have to ask them next time I'm there - 4 hours seems crazy!!
That is sad! Dinosaur isn't a ride I typically hear about breaking down frequently.
I feel like I didn't used to, but I hear it/see it more frequently lately. I wonder if Disney has just kind of given up on Dinoland, what with getting rid of Primeval Whirl and rumors of retheming coming.
Thank you for sharing this! I had no idea how much we were moving during this ride. I can see it's a lot!
Isn't it crazy? I saw someone on a vlog somewhere mention it and i was like WE HAVE TO TRY THIS. Crazy how much it is.
Hm, I'm trying to remember if there are safety reminders in the pre-show? But if you had just watched it, I'm not sure.
yea, I was trying to think about that too...i think there are, at least in the second one? But also same comment - we literally just watched it please don't make me do it again.
AK is the most beautiful park!
100%. Absolutely gorgeous!!!
We were in EPCOT on the 16th and the rain was no joke. We ended up bailing about 5:00. I had seen the forecast a week prior and booked a Chef Mickeys and a San Angel Inn as back ups (we were originally planning for food booths for dinner). The kids all voted Chef Mickeys since we were staying at BLT. By the time we got back the skys had opened!
Right?! The rain was crazy. So smart to book those backup dinners! How was Chef Mickeys? Was it crowded with folks fleeing the rain?

Raining days are sometimes the best! I can’t believe FoP was only 10 minutes, crazy!
We really love Jock Lindsey’s Hanger Bar! Great atmosphere, drinks, and light bites!
I remember reading your reports when Trevor wouldn’t ride any of the coasters! Wow he has really changed. I’m still a ride chicken especially with EE, RRC, and SM.
I wish I could ride those without freaking out, haha 😂 EE I really like until the backwards part then I feel like my neck is going to snap!
Same with the other two 😱

Raining days are sometimes the best! I can’t believe FoP was only 10 minutes, crazy!
We really love Jock Lindsey’s Hanger Bar! Great atmosphere, drinks, and light bites!
I remember reading your reports when Trevor wouldn’t ride any of the coasters! Wow he has really changed. I’m still a ride chicken especially with EE, RRC, and SM.
I wish I could ride those without freaking out, haha 😂 EE I really like until the backwards part then I feel like my neck is going to snap!
Same with the other two 😱
Rainy days indeed can be awesome! Have you ever been able to

Jock Lindsay's is awesome - i wanna try and eat inside at some point, but I don't have the patience to wait! I wish they took reservations.

I know you've been reading and commenting (thank you!) on like all of them! Not sure what's changed with Trevor but it's so fun that he rides them now - but I totally get your point about feeling like your neck is going to snap. That's how I feel when I ride the Matterhorn at Disneyland! You need a chiropractor after that one.

Solo Days Together! - Sunday, Dec 17 2023 (part 1)

After the soggy day before, Sunday dawned lovely and bright.
IMG_6179.JPG
Still some clouds and and there was a small threat of rain but nothing like the day before.

The plan for today was a bit different - Trevor was off to Universal using his annual pass, to explore and see their Christmas decorations. Me? I wasn't quite sure yet, beyond rope-dropping Gideon's at Disney Springs that morning.

We got up about 7:30/8ish, and got ready for the day. Also this was the day I finally remembered to take a picture of the app's home page with Christmas theming!
IMG_6178.PNG
Cute :)

At 8:30, we were ready to go. I was at the bus stop waiting to take the internal bus to the stop closest to Disney Springs so I could walk over; Trevor was waiting for his uber.
IMG_6180.JPG
Hi Trevor there in front of the building!

The bus came pretty quickly and 5 min later I was at the stop closest to Disney Springs. Too bad the Disney Springs bus didn't start running til later!
IMG_6183.JPG
The walk was windy but not bad otherwise.
IMG_6186.JPG
And I got a close up of some of the fun decorations on the path! Only to get there and find this sign:
IMG_6187.JPG
Womp womp. This was about 8:40, and they weren't gonna let us in til 9. Darn.

In the meantime, Trevor had arrived at Universal!
PXL_20231217_135902913.MP.jpg
PXL_20231217_140232763.jpg
Exciting!

Right about that same time, they let us in at Disney Springs so I started speedwalking over to Gideon's. I kind of wish the bus to Disney Springs had been running, as I would have been in a slightly better spot - that walk is shorter than from the Marketplace. I ended up here in line:
IMG_6190.JPG
Not too bad, just a bit further back than I would have liked. I was hoping to be near a part where I could sit down, cause we had another hour to go before it opened. :) It worked out ok though - I ended up talking with the folks around me in line and had a great time. The hour passed pretty quickly.

And Trevor?
PXL_20231217_140445768.MP.jpg
He made it in time for rope drop as well! He was in a pretty good spot - not too far back. You'll have to wait and see how his day goes :)

I was at the bus stop waiting to take the internal bus to the stop closest to Disney Springs so I could walk over;
What is the internal bus? I didn't realize there were buses other than the normal ones that would take you right to Disney Springs! Looking forward to hearing how both of your rope drops went.

Honestly, I think Woody's Lunchbox is one of the best quick service places at all of DisneyWorld, not just Hollywood Studios.

I’m so excited to try those totchos from Woody’s Lunchbox! I figure it’s a great way to kill time while my husband rides with our older daughter on Slinky Dog (we’ll have rider switch as we also have a one-year-old).

my best pro tip: buy a bunch of cheap ponchos from amazon or the dollar store, so that you can use it and then throw it away, vs having to carry a wet poncho around with you all day.

YES! I’ve done this for years - our cheap Wal-Mart ponchos are the lightest and easiest to carry and use and I also highly recommend them to others!

It broke down and we got kicked out. :(

Darn it! That’s bad luck.

Then when we got off, I decided if you don't ask you don't get anything, so I asked if we could re-ride and they said yes!! We got our own theatre!

I’m so glad your luck turned around! How amazing to get another ride on FOP! You also had great luck on Everest - so many rides! It’s amazing how quiet AK is in the evening and how extra quiet the parks get in the rain. I’m glad you could take advantage of it!

Ah, now I’m seeing why you picked your trip report title! You’re very dedicated to your cookies! :goodvibes

What is the internal bus? I didn't realize there were buses other than the normal ones that would take you right to Disney Springs! Looking forward to hearing how both of your rope drops went.
Oh I typed that wrong - all the buses at Saratoga Springs do the whole internal loop before heading to their destination. So I just grabbed the first bus that came (I think it was to Magic Kingdom?) and then got off at the stop closest to Disney Springs.
I’m so excited to try those totchos from Woody’s Lunchbox! I figure it’s a great way to kill time while my husband rides with our older daughter on Slinky Dog (we’ll have rider switch as we also have a one-year-old).
OOOH yes those are so good. Good plan. :)
YES! I’ve done this for years - our cheap Wal-Mart ponchos are the lightest and easiest to carry and use and I also highly recommend them to others!
YES absolutely the best. such a good "hack". I just love that we don't have to worry about trying to dry them to reuse them afterwards and such.
I’m so glad your luck turned around! How amazing to get another ride on FOP! You also had great luck on Everest - so many rides! It’s amazing how quiet AK is in the evening and how extra quiet the parks get in the rain. I’m glad you could take advantage of it!
It was so nice at AK! I don't think we've ever really had such a nice experience in the rain. You're exactly right - parks at night in the rain are kind of an unexpected bonus :)
Ah, now I’m seeing why you picked your trip report title! You’re very dedicated to your cookies! :goodvibes
yea....we may have a problem.... This time they were advertising a new Christmas thing called the Bag of Coal and I really wanted it!! https://gideonsbakehouse.com/product/gideons-bag-of-coal/ :)

Oh I typed that wrong - all the buses at Saratoga Springs do the whole internal loop before heading to their destination. So I just grabbed the first bus that came (I think it was to Magic Kingdom?) and then got off at the stop closest to Disney Springs.
Oh that makes sense!! I forgot until other reports this weekend that some resorts are so large they have more than one bus. There are some really large resorts!

Separate Rope Drops - Together! - Sunday Dec 17, 2023 (part 2)

So while I was sitting there waiting for Gideon's to open and chatting with folks, Trevor was having a pretty good rope drop at Universal Studios. He started by walking on to The Mummy as a single rider, and then talked to the Shurnken Skull in the Knight Bus, and then did the Men in Black ride
PXL_20231217_143314692.jpg
PXL_20231217_143736174.jpg
PXL_20231217_143751547.MP.jpg
Look, he's cosmically average!! :)

He looked in some shops -
PXL_20231217_144006840.jpg
Men in Black Christmas tree with aliens!

One of the main things he wanted to see today was the holiday shows in the Harry Potter areas, so he headed back to Diagon Alley to try and catch the 10 am show in Diagon Alley.
PXL_20231217_144734963.jpg
PXL_20231217_144854636.jpg
Pretty!

But it was finally 10 am and I was let in to Gideon's in the first wave of people. Yay! My goal for this morning was to get the "Bag of Coal" that they'd just dropped on instagram - https://gideonsbakehouse.com/product/gideons-bag-of-coal/ - i get suckered into the FOMO. :) But also more cookies and cake slices! Gideon's does a rotating menu of cake flavors every day (usually 2), but they'll keep selling the slices from the day before as long as they have them. So I was a bit surprised to see a LOT of cakes available today:
IMG_6194.JPG
On the left it was Kris Kingle's Cake (something minty I think...I didn't get that one), and then on the right - Marshmallow Buttercream Chocolate Chip. Definitely got that one!!
IMG_6195.JPG
The rainbow cake! I got that one. Don't remember what the other two were, I didn't get those two. :)
IMG_6196.JPG
Cookies and Cream Cake! Got that one. Didn't get the red velvet one.

I ended up spending...more than I planned. BUT when you rope drop you gotta take advantage. And one of the other things we love from Gideon's is the coffee cake cookie that they only have in the morning. I ended up getting:

• Rainbow Crunch cake
  • Cookies and Cream cake
  • Chocolate Chip Marshmallow cake
  • 4 Coffee Cake Cookies
  • 5 Cookies and Cream cookies
  • the Coal Bites bag
  • regular cookie bites (I think these were fancy flavors)
  • a thing of marshmallow buttercream
  • and then a bottle of milk (so that I could have a bite and eat it with milk :) )
IMG_6201.JPG
Milk with the cookie bite at the bus stop! I headed for the bus stop right after Gideon's - it was about 10:20 when I left Gideon's - and the plan was to drop the cookies back at the room and then I'd decided what to do the rest of the day...but you'll have to wait and see! :)

Oh that makes sense!! I forgot until other reports this weekend that some resorts are so large they have more than one bus. There are some really large resorts!
Yea, Saratoga Springs has like 5 stops - we got lucky cause our room was RIGHT by the second stop, so we always got a seat. :)

My goal for this morning was to get the "Bag of Coal" that they'd just dropped on instagram
That looks so good! What a fun idea for a holiday treat.
The rainbow cake! I got that one.
Yum! You had so many awesome choices! Another win for rope dropping.
And one of the other things we love from Gideon's is the coffee cake cookie that they only have in the morning.
I’ve never had the morning coffee cake cookie but want to try it eventually! They were out of the evening version on our last trip so we first got it this year and it was one of my favorites.

Oh my gosh the cake slices all look and sound so good! I’m in need of dessert right about now!
I love Universal at Christmas time!

That looks so good! What a fun idea for a holiday treat.
They have such cool ideas for their special treats - it's yummy but bad for the wallet!
Yum! You had so many awesome choices! Another win for rope dropping.
I've never seen so many cake slices! Definitely a win for rope dropping but not gonna lie, I think staying at Saratoga Springs is the only way I'd rope drop Gideons. The line is just too crazy!
I’ve never had the morning coffee cake cookie but want to try it eventually! They were out of the evening version on our last trip so we first got it this year and it was one of my favorites.
Ooooh it is so good. The evening version is slightly better, so you already had the good one, but the morning one is also delicious. I hope you get a chance to try it!
Oh my gosh the cake slices all look and sound so good! I’m in need of dessert right about now!
I love Universal at Christmas time!
Me too! Now I want a Gideon's cookie...or cake...or both.
Trevor's pictures looked cool! He was most excited for the shows, and what he talked about seemed cool!

Just got all caught up! You’re making me want to visit during the Christmas season sometime (and go on an adults-only trip!). Love all the tree decorations. Also seems like you overall had good luck hitting attractions and meets! Awesome report!

Another great cookie haul! The coal bites look especially fun - I appreciated the link to read about them!

Just got all caught up! You’re making me want to visit during the Christmas season sometime (and go on an adults-only trip!). Love all the tree decorations. Also seems like you overall had good luck hitting attractions and meets! Awesome report!
Do it!!! It was so much fun :) You'll love it!
Another great cookie haul! The coal bites look especially fun - I appreciated the link to read about them!
So maaaaaany cookies. :) The coal bites are fun! I love how Gideon's often has these fun special treats. :)

Rain Rain Go Away! - Sunday December 17, 2023 (part 3)

Picture limit meant I couldn't include this picture last post, but one more pic of the Gideon's haul!
IMG_6205.JPG
So much. YUM. :)

Also I forgot to say! There was a bus driver out and about as I was walking to the bus stop (also seriously love how close the Saratoga Springs bus stop is to the front of all the bus corrals at Disney Springs - so nice), and he gave me a wooden transportation nickel/token - super neat! I didn't take a picture though -- is a good example. Fun!

Meanwhile, over at Universal Trevor was sad because they canceled the 10 am concert because the stage was wet. And Hagrid's had been down all morning. So he decided to get snacks instead!
PXL_20231217_154644029.jpg
PXL_20231217_154649171.jpg
Pasties and lemon squash (aka lemon cordial)! Trevor said these were yummy. :) But as you can kind of see in the picture, on the table, it was raining lightly. Which meant the 11 o'clock show was probably canceled. So while Trevor figured out his next thing, back to me!

I took a look at wait times on the MDE app and decided to go for Magic Kingdom! I ended up buying Genie+, which rookie mistake, buying it that late in the day, but I was hoping that being all alone I'd have luck with the "modify" trick. :) Genie+ for Jungle Cruise was already gone, but I was hoping it would pop up. :) Back at the hotel, I headed to the room to put the cookies away and noticed these fun designs on the elevators that I walked by.
IMG_6206.JPG
Fun little details. :)

I put the cookies and cake away in the fridge -
IMG_6207.JPG
fridge of goodies and treats!!

I headed back to the bus stop super quickly and saw this fun bus there!
IMG_6209.JPG
It wasn't my bus, but I love the Cinderella wrap! My bus didn't come for another 10 minutes, so back to Trevor. :)

He'd decided to go for Gringotts:
PXL_20231217_160918543.MP.jpg
Single rider for the win! I really like the queue theming of Gringotts, but Trevor hates the stairs. Apparently Universal (in Trevor's mind) has TOO MANY stairs. I will say the Gringotts queue does have a lot of stairs. His plan was to ride it, and then catch the 12 o'clock show.

I got to Magic Kingdom just as Trevor found out the noon show was canceled. :( Disappointing, since that was one of the main things he wanted to see, but he decided to give it up and head over to Islands of Adventure. Back to me at Magic Kingdom!
IMG_6221.JPG
Hi there pretty train station!

IMG_6222.JPG
This is my favorite poster in the tunnel under the train station. I so much want to buy it, but they don't sell it anywhere! Such a bummer. Anyways. :)

I spent some time wandering around the plaza there, looking at the decorations:
IMG_6224.JPG
such a cute tree base!

Also, in case you were curious - I did manage to get a Jungle Cruise fastpass for later that afternoon! Yay for "modify". :) You'll have to wait and see how the rest of the day goes for me. And will Trevor ever get to see that one show in Diagon Alley?

Best Corn Dog in the Parks! - Sunday Dec 17, 2024 (part 4)

It was sprinkling a bit, as I entered the park, but not too bad. Weather in Florida is so unpredictable! It was right around noon, and I was hungry, so I placed a mobile order at Sleepy Hollow for a corn dog. I didn't have to wait too long before it was ready, and I heard the parade coming, so I grabbed a seat right there by Sleepy Hollow and the Hall of Presidents.
IMG_6227.JPG
Not a bad view!
IMG_6228.JPG
And not a bad lunch! Honestly, my hot take is that the Sleepy Hollow corn dog is better than the nuggets at Casey's Corner AND better than the corn dogs at Disneyland. :)

I was all happy, jamming to the music, waiting for the parade to arrive, when the Hall of Presidents let out just as the parade was arriving. So my nice open spot got a lot more crowded and I couldn't see as well. Oh well! It was still a decent view. :)

IMG_6243.JPG
Hello Ariel!

In the meantime, Trevor was on the Hogwarts Express, heading to Hagrid's cause it had re-opened! When he got there, the wait was 30 minutes, but he decided to try doing single rider, hoping it would be faster. We'll see!

With the parade done, I'd managed to get an immediate use fastpass for Pirates, but on my way I saw Aloha Isle and of course stopped and got a raspberry dole whip float. Yum!
IMG_6255.JPG
I needed desert after my lunch, right?

Then, Pirates!
IMG_6265.JPG
I've always liked this scene - not sure why. :)
2023-12-17 - Magic Kingdom Park - Pirates of the caribbean.jpeg
Who doesn't love Pirates?
IMG_6270.JPG
People who are wrong, that's who! :)

I'd managed to get a Haunted Mansion fastpass and had some luck modifying it to be used right away - woot! And I got lucky - I got off Pirates like 3 minutes before the 1 pm Tron drop, and managed to get group 91! They were already on 72, so I was hopeful I'd get on pretty soon. :)

Trevor ended up waiting about 30 minutes for Hagrid's and ended up in the sidecar vs the bike, but he still enjoyed it. And by the time he got off it was posting 120 minutes, so at least he got on pretty quickly! He then went and did Forbidden Journey, and then had some fun shopping. Which makes me feel better - it's not only me who gets sucked in by the merch! :)

I headed to Haunted Mansion and was in the Stretching Room within 5 minutes.
IMG_6279.JPG
Love that ride. :)
2023-12-17 - Magic Kingdom Park - Haunted mansion_5.jpeg2023-12-17 - Magic Kingdom Park - Haunted mansion_6.jpeg
I still don't understand why you get 2 photos on Haunted Mansion but I won't complain too much!!

Trevor Sees Captain America! - Sunday Dec 17, 2024 (part 5)

Also, I got lucky - the ride stopped when I was in a good spot to see the Hatbox Ghost!

You know I filmed it. :)
IMG_6283.JPG
Regular...
IMG_6284.JPG
With head in the hatbox! :)

Coming off the ride, there was a photographer, so of course I stopped and got pictures. :)
small 2023-12-17 - Magic Kingdom Park - Haunted mansion_4.jpg
small 2023-12-17 - Magic Kingdom Park - Haunted mansion.jpg

Trevor was continuing to enjoy Hogwarts.
PXL_20231217_182428998.MP.jpg
Look at that cute little snowman! and the owl! So cute. :)

Trevor was thinking of riding Flight of the Hippogriff next, but the wait for it was longer than for Velocicoaster (the big Jurassic Park coaster) so he decided to pass, and instead head over to the Marvel area. They had a special drink he wanted to try, and he wanted to look around a bit before heading back to the Harry Potter area to see one of the special shows.

I however was killing time before my Space Mountain fastpass in like 20 minutes. So I wandered through Fantasyland - look at that gorgeous castle!
IMG_6291.JPG

I also found a photographer by Be Our Guest.
small 2023-12-17 - Magic Kingdom Park - Belles village_8.jpg
small 2023-12-17 - Magic Kingdom Park - Belles village.jpg
Magic shot Lumiere!

I wasn't sure what to do next - the wait times today were all wonky - Little Mermaid Journey Under the Sea was posting a 45 minute wait at 1:45 pm! But the line to actually meet Ariel in her grotto was only 20 minutes. I actually thought about waiting in that line, but it looked to be a bit longer than 20 minutes, so I passed. I went and looked around in Big Top Souvenirs instead.

Meanwhile, Trevor was enjoying the Marvel area -
PXL_20231217_190706113.jpg
He caught some of the characters coming out.
PXL_20231217_190732657.jpg

Including Captain America!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter