• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

upgrades at ssr

maraki527

DIS Veteran
On the bus back from the MK on Thursday a gentleman was talking about our resort SSR and how much he enjoyed staying there. He kept talking and was saying that he had booked a room at an all star resort and then was notified that he was being upgraded to a room at SSR. He said that he thought it would just be a studio but when he checked in he got a one bedroom. Is it only me that is upset with the fact that they should have upgraded a DVC member first and then upgraded someone that was staying at a value resort if that was the last option but they didnt?

If he paid cash to book at the All-Stars, then the SSR room he was given was also part of Disney's cash inventory. The room was effectively off limits to DVC members because it belongs to Disney.

It's just one of the sales tactics that Disney uses. I'm not sure if they selectively upgrade people or if it is a random process, but in my opinion there are few better sales tools than unexpectly putting someone in a One Bedroom villa.

Usually this happens due to overbooking of the first resort. However as TJ stated it is also good advertising for DVC.

DVC members are not upgraded while staying on points, unless there is a problem with the room they were assigned to get.

Can you imagine the complaints DVC would get if some members were given upgrades while staying on points and others did not. It is bad enough with just the requests for certain locations.

Can you imagine the complaints DVC would get if some members were given upgrades while staying on points and others did not.

Not to mention what it would do to the entire system if people started intentionally booking Studios during low occupancy times (September, weekends, winter months at HHI, VB) and EXPECTING upgrades.

If the villa would be otherwise empty in CRO's inventory, I think "tempting-by-upgrade" is a good sales technique.:laughing:
Does anyone happen to know how effective it is? (I presume it must work to some degree if Disney keeps doing it. :confused3 )

There HAVE been instances of people staying 'on points' being upgraded, though. Wasn't there a thread here just a couple of weeks ago about someone getting upgraded to a GV from a 2-bed. And I know for a fact that friends of ours here in the UK have been upgraded to a GV at BWV before now, also when staying on points.

So it does happen. To me, it's no different to someone who has booked and paid for a standard view room at a resort such as AKL, then checking in and being upgraded to a Savannah View. Or an upgrade to 1st class on a plane. It's the luck of the draw, it does happen and it's nice for those it happens to. As a DVC member, I can safely say that I wouldn't feel it was unfair if another DVC member staying on points had received an upgrade and I hadn't - it's just one of those things and lucky for them :)

The only time I would be annoyed is if it happened that I had been unable to reserve the room size that I required at the resort I wanted and then found out that another DVC member had received an upgrade at that resort - that would annoy me but I can only imagine that upgrades are done as a last resort and so this is unlikely to happen anyway.

There HAVE been instances of people staying 'on points' being upgraded, though. Wasn't there a thread here just a couple of weeks ago about someone getting upgraded to a GV from a 2-bed. And I know for a fact that friends of ours here in the UK have been upgraded to a GV at BWV before now, also when staying on points.

It only happens in the rare case of an overbooking or when a maintenance issue prevents the resort from providing the accommodation reserved. One cannot request an upgrade at the front desk and assume to receive one for free simply because there is excess capacity, nor will resorts offer upgrades to DVC members simply because larger rooms are unreserved.

I Read a post recently where a person was upgraded from an AS resort ended up buying....

The differenace between members and non memebers is Disney already has our money so why upgarde us

I personally think it is great any time someone gets an upgrade. I do not think members of DVC should be entitled to anything extra over other Disney guests. (yes I am a DVC member).

mg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter