Upgrading AP during renewal window?

dizzneebabe

SOME IMAGINATION!!!
DVC Silver
We have a deluxe AP expiring on 1/14/2018. A last minute trip is suddenly a possibility, but it's during the blackout dates, 12/20-12/23. I'm trying to figure out if I can upgrade it to a signature plus for the visit (since that's the only pass that is not blacked out) or if I have to just buy park hoppers? Can I upgrade during a renewal window or will they make me purchase the signature pass in full for more than $1K each?

Currently, we are on the fence about renewing...we live in FL.

Thanks!

I would contact Guest Services and ask them your question (or even call the AP Guest Services line):
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/help/phone/

My instinctive guess is that you would need to upgrade your current pass to the Signature Plus level if you wanted to go during Christmas (pass date would still expire on 1/14/18). If you opt to renew and upgrade, those benefits wouldn't go into effect until your current pass expires (i.e., I don't think they'd give you 40 days of a Signature Plus pass benefits without charging for it). Still I would call Guest Services and see what answer(s) you get.

Thanks. Tried that. The wait time was over 45 min, so I thought I would ask here first.

I bet the wait time is longer than normal because they discontinued sales of the SoCal AP this morning. Probably a lot of people are calling to find out whether they can still get it via the phone, what happens if they want to renew to that AP, etc. Give it a few days and try calling again (even tomorrow) and things might be better. Otherwise, maybe try sending an email or reaching out to the Disneyland AP's Twitter account.

If you renew your current pass during the renewal window and in person at a ticket booth, they will give you a blockout day exception pass. Just make sure you renew early in the morning to ensure that you can obtain entry, as those are one of the first passes to be restricted when the park starts to hit capacity.

If you renew and upgrade your pass, your upgraded status wont start until 1/14/2018. You will retain your current pass level through 1/13/2018. You will have to buy a 2 day park hopper or upgrade your current expiring pass to Signature Plus.

Currently, we are on the fence about renewing...we live in FL.
Do you ever go to WDW? If you do, it might be worth looking into the Premier AP ($1,485.77 with tax), which is good in both DLR and WDW. I don't know if you could buy a "new" one of those when you get to DLR (basically having two AP for a short period of time), but if you could that would get you the higher tier benefits at both resorts, plus no blockout dates!

You can upgrade, but if you want to go several days during that time the upgrade will only be valid through 1/14/18, so for your current year only. If you upgrade before your renewal date for the next year, the upgrade does not go into effect until after your renewal date. Hope that makes sense.

Do you ever go to WDW? If you do, it might be worth looking into the Premier AP ($1,485.77 with tax), which is good in both DLR and WDW. I don't know if you could buy a "new" one of those when you get to DLR (basically having two AP for a short period of time), but if you could that would get you the higher tier benefits at both resorts, plus no blockout dates!
Yes, constantly. We've been AP holders for several years. If I bought the Premier AP, I would lose the monthly payment option as well as my DVC/FL resident discount.

The Premier AP ($1,485.77 with tax), which is good in both DLR and WDW...if you could that would get you the higher tier benefits at both resorts, plus no blockout dates!

I would’ve thought an annual pass without blockout dates and covering both CA & FL would cost a lot more! If I ever go to WDW, I’m buying the premier pass!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter