Upgrading CDN Resident tickets to AP

Nightriders19

Earning My Ears
Hi, bit of an unusual situation here. We are heading to WDW in Jan. I have AP. Bought CDN resident tickets for DH and DDs. My in-laws are coming too. They own a house in FL and live there in the winter (so are FL residents). My understanding is that my MIL can buy FL resident AP for my kids. Has anyone tried upgrading CDN resident tickets to an AP? Is there any issue with doing this?

Hi, bit of an unusual situation here. We are heading to WDW in Jan. I have AP. Bought CDN resident tickets for DH and DDs. My in-laws are coming too. They own a house in FL and live there in the winter (so are FL residents). My understanding is that my MIL can buy FL resident AP for my kids. Has anyone tried upgrading CDN resident tickets to an AP? Is there any issue with doing this?

technically, she can’t purchase FL resident APs for those not residing in her household (in FL). I think the workaround is because Disney doesn’t require picture IDs for children.

but I think you would have a problem upgrading a Canadian resident ticket to a FL resident ticket. It will depend on the CM you get to process the upgrade

You can upgrade them to a normal AP but you will pay the difference between what you paid for them and the AP price.

Last edited:

technically, she can’t purchase FL resident APs for those not residing in her household (in FL). I think the workaround is because Disney doesn’t require picture IDs for children.

but I think you would have a problem upgrading a Canadian resident ticket to a FL resident ticket. It will depend on the CM you get to process the upgrade

I had called in in the past about this, and my MIL is allowed to purchase AP for her grandchildren as a gift, as long as she can show her proof of FL residency, as per what I was told by a couple of different CMs.

I had called in in the past about this, and my MIL is allowed to purchase AP for her grandchildren as a gift, as long as she can show her proof of FL residency, as per what I was told by a couple of different CMs.

It's only because they are under 18. Individuals under 18 don't need to provide proof of residency (on their own) if they are accompanied by the adult that can show proof of FL ID (when activating it). The problem I think you will have is by trying to upgrade a Canadian ticket for the kids under 18. The CM may be like, wait, you have to be a Canadian resident to get those tickets....how can you then upgrade it to a FL resident ticket?

Because I added on a trip one year I upgraded my Canadian ticket to an AP. I was charged the difference on what I paid for my Canadian ticket and the cost of the AP

I really wish WDW had tiers (like Universal) for APs for non florida residents. It’s so unfair they make us buy the highest tier.
If they let you pick a tier for the kids Florida AP ticket that works for your dates
you'll save quite a bit.

Just thought I would update that we did upgrade our kids to FL resident silver passes without any trouble. The CDN resident tickets were no issue. Kids are super thrilled to be pass holders now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter