Upgrading/Reassinging AP

Carrie Gruber

OhARinkyTinkyTinky
My husband and I are staying for 5 days next month and I have an AP that will be up for renewal in July. Bought my husband 5 day hopper ticket from Undercover Tourist. My question is (1) can I apply the cost of his ticket to my renewal? (2) if not, if I upgrade his ticket to an AP, can I then reassign it to myself once mine expires? I see the option to reassign my pass in MDE so was hoping I could utilize the second strategy.

My husband and I are staying for 5 days next month and I have an AP that will be up for renewal in July. Bought my husband 5 day hopper ticket from Undercover Tourist. My question is
(1) can I apply the cost of his ticket to my renewal?
(2) if not, if I upgrade his ticket to an AP, can I then reassign it to myself once mine expires?
I see the option to reassign my pass in MDE so was hoping I could utilize the second strategy.
(1) That has been the case in the past. Just transfer the ticket to YOU and, when you are at WDW in July, ask at Guest Relations for that ticket's "Disney price" to be applied to your renewal cost.

(2) I don't understand.
Does HE have an AP that is due to be renewed?
If not, why would you want to (in effect) pay for a NEW AP for you when yours is set to be renewed (which costs about 15% less than buying a new AP?)

That's what I wasnt sure about, I knew there was a renewal discount but wasn't sure if they would let me apply the cost of his ticket to the renewal of my pass directly or if needed to reassign his ticket to me to do so. He does not have an AP.

We're staying June 17-21 and my pass will expire July 7. Our last day we're going to the parks so he still needs his ticket assigned to him for that. So once we return to our resort before we head to the airport, is that when I should reassign his ticket to myself and then go to guest relations to ask for that ticket price to be applied to my renewal?

That's what I wasnt sure about, I knew there was a renewal discount but wasn't sure if they would let me apply the cost of his ticket to the renewal of my pass directly or if needed to reassign his ticket to me to do so. He does not have an AP.

We're staying June 17-21 and my pass will expire July 7. Our last day we're going to the parks so he still needs his ticket assigned to him for that. So once we return to our resort before we head to the airport, is that when I should reassign his ticket to myself and then go to guest relations to ask for that ticket price to be applied to my renewal?

If he USES the ticket, it can no longer be reassigned to you.
But, HE can upgrade to a NEW AP at any time during your upcoming trip.
Again, why would you want to pay for a NEW AP if your real intention is to RENEW your
AP (and for HIM to NOT get an AP at all?)

I was just hoping to be able to apply some of the money I had spent on his tickets to my AP...renewal is $808 with tax, so if I could apply the nearly $500 I paid for the hoppers, that would have helped defray the cost. Would it work if I reassigned my AP to my husband before we leave the resort and ask if they can apply his ticket cost to renewing the pass if its assigned to him?

I was just hoping to be able to apply some of the money I had spent on his tickets to my AP...renewal is $808 with tax, so if I could apply the nearly $500 I paid for the hoppers, that would have helped defray the cost. Would it work if I reassigned my AP to my husband before we leave the resort and ask if they can apply his ticket cost to renewing the pass if its assigned to him?
You can’t reassign an already active AP. I do not think there is any way of using the cost of his ticket towards your AP unless he does not use it.

You can’t reassign an already active AP. I do not think there is any way of using the cost of his ticket towards your AP unless he does not use it.

Ok, thank you. I just knew that last year that was how I got my AP, by upgrading my ticket to the AP so I wasnt sure if there was a way to get both the renewal discount and use the cost of his ticket. I'm renewing no matter what anyhow.

It gives me the option to reassign my pass to him in MDE so I figured I would ask at Guest Relations if my husband upgraded to an AP (like I did last year via MDE) if he would be able to reassign it to me later.

It gives me the option to reassign my pass to him in MDE so I figured I would ask at Guest Relations if my husband upgraded to an AP (like I did last year via MDE) if he would be able to reassign it to me later.

Once a ticket has started to be USED at WDW, it cannot be transferred.
Likewise, if a ticket (in use) is UPGRADED to an AP, that new AP will have
a start-date (anniversary date) the same day that the original ticket was first used.
Therefore, that AP "belongs" only to the person who started using the original ticket.
(That's what makes the new ticket or AP an "upgrade.)

But, even if you COULD transfer your husband's new AP over to you at the end of this trip...
I ask again,
why would you want to pay FULL PRICE for a NEW AP for yourself
when you are able to RENEW your current AP at a 15% discount?

And, BTW, the NEW AP that would result from the upgrade of the ticket
would have an anniversary date of June 17 (and not July 7)
so you would (in effect) be "losing" 3 weeks of
time on the new AP compared to your current AP.

I have to think that there is something that you have not told us about your plans
that makes that a positive for you.

If that is the case, without us knowing about that, it just doesn't make much sense, financially.

Last edited:
Let's go in another direction...
If YOU want to save money on RENEWING your AP, why don't YOU buy another
discounted ticket from UT (or other discounter) and YOU use that ticket to
help pay for your AP renewal?

I guess the confusion is that YOU have an AP (that needs to be renewed) and HE has a parkhopper ticket. But you want to USE his parkhopper ticket for him to get into the parks AND use the cost of his ticket to renew your AP.

That, you can't do. EITHER you reassign his ticket to you (and he won't have admission to the parks) and apply that cost toward a new AP, or he uses his ticket to upgrade to an AP for himself.

Bottom line is, you can't do what you are hoping to do. If your husband uses the park hopper, that ticket is his and can't be transferred. If he upgrades that used park hopper to an AP, that AP is his and cannot be transferred as it, essentially, has already been used when it was a park hopper. You can never transfer a used ticket to another person. The only way this works is if the park hopper goes unused and you use it to renew your AP.

It gives me the option to reassign my pass to him in MDE

MDE is causing your confusion. What you describe is just one of the many funky things in MDE. If you were to actually try to reassign your AP to your DH, you would get an error message and the transfer wouldn't work. Unfortunately MDE is full of glitches like that. Just because the option appears to be there doesn't mean it actually can be done. As others have said, any ticket, once used, cannot be transferred/reassigned to another person.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter