US Women's National Soccer Team controversy

Both of my dds have played soccer their whole lives, rec, select and premier levels. At the premier level, when we see a reaction similar to your son's, we tend to think that scoring must be such a normal thing for him that he (and his teammates) don't get that excited about it and that seems just as bad as an excessive celebration. Funny how there are so many different perspectives.

Believe me, my son is plenty excited when he scores, as are his teammates. And, as he is primarily a defender, it is not a very common experience. However, he does not like bringing a lot of attention to himself, and as a defender, he knows how infuriating it is to get scored on and have someone do an over the top celebration - especially when your team is being beaten handily. There is plenty of time for celebration after the game. I would never equate someone that smiles and simply gets back to the game to someone that overly celebrates, but perhaps that is just me.

I 100% agree run the score up as goals matter in the event of a tie breaker. This isn't like these ladies have never played an international game or on a big stage before. When you're up 10 goals give a high five and walk back to the center line to re-start play. It just goes to show that talent and class don't always go hand in hand. My comment goes for all sports from rec league up to the professional level.

Believe me, my son is plenty excited when he scores, as are his teammates. And, as he is primarily a defender, it is not a very common experience. However, he does not like bringing a lot of attention to himself, and as a defender, he knows how infuriating it is to get scored on and have someone do an over the top celebration - especially when your team is being beaten handily. There is plenty of time for celebration after the game. I would never equate someone that smiles and simply gets back to the game to someone that overly celebrates, but perhaps that is just me.

I need to remember that, we all need to remember, for the most part, there is no right or wrong way to celebrate a goal/score (unless it's obviously in poor taste). Most people just let their emotions dictate their celebration. Although, I'll admit, I also like the things NFL players do after they score (for the most part) so I'm probably not as sensitive as most.

Teams should play to win. There is no such thing as running up the score. The minute you stop trying is the minute you lose. Reminds me of the Falcons/Patriots super bowl a couple years ago. The Falcons were WAY ahead, but then they seemed to start playing "not to lose" instead of playing to win. The Patriots came back and won.

Teams should play to win. There is no such thing as running up the score. The minute you stop trying is the minute you lose. Reminds me of the Falcons/Patriots super bowl a couple years ago. The Falcons were WAY ahead, but then they seemed to start playing "not to lose" instead of playing to win. The Patriots came back and won.

I don't think anyone is debating the number of goals scored. I think the difference in opinions are on the goal celebrations late in the game - were they necessary, excessive, or not.

First I will say that I didn't watch so I don't know exactly what/how the US team was celebrating but I am of the opinion that there is nothing wrong with celebrating each individual goal or a team win.
This (quote below) sums up how I feel about it

Sportsmanship aside, these elite athletes are competing in a tournament where goal difference -- the number that breaks a tie in a group to determine who moves on -- matters, and especially matters because the defending champions are in a group with a powerhouse team like Sweden.
But what about those celebrations, especially as the goals started nearing the double digits? Is that fair game for a conversation about sportsmanship? Probably. But who is anyone to call out Alex Morgan's celebration of her historic five-goal performance? Or 21-year-old Mallory Pugh's nabbing her first World Cup goal? And are we really going to criticize veteran Megan Rapinoe, she with the proud pink hair, scoring at this point in her career and doing a little dance to celebrate?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/12/opin...am-13-0-sends-a-clear-message-bass/index.html

I don't think anyone is debating the number of goals scored. I think the difference in opinions are on the goal celebrations late in the game - were they necessary, excessive, or not.
These are supposed to be grown ups playing professional sports- if someone's feelings are hurt by the other team celebrating, perhaps they are in the wrong profession.

I need to remember that, we all need to remember, for the most part, there is no right or wrong way to celebrate a goal/score (unless it's obviously in poor taste). Most people just let their emotions dictate their celebration. Although, I'll admit, I also like the things NFL players do after they score (for the most part) so I'm probably not as sensitive as most.

I agree with you that there is no right or wrong way, unless in poor taste. We are probably just differing in our interpretation of excessive and poor taste. As I mentioned above, I have mixed emotions about the US team's celebration, as I am not sure if it was just an outpouring of pent-up emotion, or unnecessary showboating. I can honestly see both sides.

I agree with you that there is no right or wrong way, unless in poor taste. We are probably just differing in our interpretation of excessive and poor taste. As I mentioned above, I have mixed emotions about the US team's celebration, as I am not sure if it was just an outpouring of pent-up emotion, or unnecessary showboating. I can honestly see both sides.

Me too. If they'd hadn't won by a lot people would be questioning the talent of this team. If they didn't act excited people would be wondering what was wrong with them, were they so confident that this game didn't mean much to them. I think no matter what people would be criticizing this group of women.

I did watch the game and DID feel the celebrating after the later goals was VERY excessive. On the first couple of goals, and Alex Morgan's 5th goal was for a record. I totally get it, but after 10, is it really necessary? The one with pink hair (don't know her name) was really way too much. Showed poor taste IMO.

So Mallory Pugh, one of the youngest people on the team and the one who scored the 11th goal, should not have celebrated her first goal ever in a World Cup?

Our ladies national soccer team has been challenging some of the disparities in pay, etc. compared to the men's team. There's a lot riding on their performance at this point in time.

What exactly does that have to do with the celebrations they acted out while scoring in the double digits?

Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't been following that thread. As a former athlete, I simply find one of the instances much worse than the other. The soccer controversy seems like little league to me.

The fans in Toronto that cheered when KD got hurt were quickly shut down. The scorers from the USWNT continued to celebrate each and every goal like they won the world cup. There is a difference between the two.

Yes. Goals matter.

The number of the goals scored isn't the issue.

TBH if you score a goal in the world cup its a reason to celebrate regardless if the score.
You also have to remember that - Morgan aside- the scoring was pretty spread out so players were celebrating their individual goals....not the team hitting double figures

You can still celebrate the goals but there is a way to do it and show some class.

Last edited:
For those of us who didn't see every single goal, or even one of them could someone please explain all the classless ways they celebrated.

What exactly does that have to do with the celebrations they acted out while scoring in the double digits?

The fans in Toronto that cheered when KD got hurt were quickly shut down. The scorers from the USWNT continued to celebrate each and every goal like they won the world cup. There is a difference between the two.

The number of the goals scored isn't the issue.

You can still celebrate the goals but there is a way to do it ans show some class.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/colu.../women-s-world-cup-france-team-usa-1.31814281
The women feel a certain amount of pressure to "prove" themselves for many reasons this World Cup

Many goals were scored by several people. They can each celebrate their own personal goal and success, no matter the score. Maybe some were excessive, maybe not.

Again, lots of male sports competitors celebrate their high scoring achievements without this much scrutiny.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter