US Women's National Soccer Team controversy

You tried to downplay it, by saying it was shut down quickly. It shouldn't have happened in the first place & it wasn't shut down quickly.

I agree that it never should have happened, but it did. These are not true fans, in my opinion. It only takes a few people to makes things go bad, but it was shut down very quickly.

Also have you seen what the real fans are doing, knowing it was wrong, https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nba...ate-to-his-charity/10c5ulwc83wep1hi7n1e59cg95

Again the celebrations were fine. I hope they win the next game 20-0 and I hope they dance twice as much after each goal to rub it in all the naysayers faces.
Yeah that's the ticket. Prove all the naysayers that said they showed poor sportsmanship wrong by acting even worse.

Yeah that's the ticket. Prove all the naysayers that said they showed poor sportsmanship wrong by acting even worse.

Yup it will show that the players are going to do what they want on the field. And the naysayers can shove it.

In soccer, you score and then you celebrate. That's how it works. By the way, Mallory Pugh scored one of the late goals. It's not only her first World Cup but she's also the youngest player on the team. She has every right in the world to celebrate that goal.

Looking at the news, it seems it's mostly the Canadians that are losing their poop over this. Figures.

I’ve played sports (not at a national level). I’ve been on really good teams and really bad teams.

When I was on the really good teams and we were winning by a large margin, the coach would put in less experienced players to give them experience. He would also counsel us that it was OK to recognize a victory
(Clap, cheer etc) but there was no need to get over the top about it by dancing and carrying on.

The controversy isn't around how many goals they scored, goal differential counts and everyone understands that. The controversy is about the excessive, choreographed, pre-planned goal celebrations when up 10-0.

Okay, let's forget the score. What I want to know is if everyone here who is complaining about the celebrations watches professional soccer. From as long as I can remember, part of the game is excessive celebrations and over the top players and fans. The noise from the crowd is like nothing you see in other sports and my first memory from a game is the announcer yelling "GOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL" for a long time and the players running around the fields and sliding. There was an earlier mention of unwritten rules and as far as I can tell one of them in soccer is celebrate like crazy when you score because usually at this level, it does not happen much.

This is one of those "is the glass half empty or half full?" things. People are going to see it the way they see it, and nothing anyone else says is going to change that.

Okay, let's forget the score. What I want to know is if everyone here who is complaining about the celebrations watches professional soccer. From as long as I can remember, part of the game is excessive celebrations and over the top players and fans. The noise from the crowd is like nothing you see in other sports and my first memory from a game is the announcer yelling "GOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL" for a long time and the players running around the fields and sliding. There was an earlier mention of unwritten rules and as far as I can tell one of them in soccer is celebrate like crazy when you score because usually at this level, it does not happen much.

All of what you said is completely true, but you can't take the score factor out of this situation. Not a single person would be complaining about any celebration if the score of the game was 2-0, 3-0, etc. Yes, goals are normally hard to come by, but 13 were scored in this particular game, so it's kind of hard to argue that it's the same as a normal game.

Yup it will show that the players are going to do what they want on the field. And the naysayers can shove it.

In soccer, you score and then you celebrate. That's how it works. By the way, Mallory Pugh scored one of the late goals. It's not only her first World Cup but she's also the youngest player on the team. She has every right in the world to celebrate that goal.

Looking at the news, it seems it's mostly the Canadians that are losing their poop over this. Figures.

No, she should not be happy, she shouldn't show any emotions for that accomplishment that she dreamed of her whole life. She should have acted like a robot and just went on with the game. How dare she celebrate that moment, she should have thought about the other teams feelings not her own.
Well according to some at least.

I’m more taken aback by the way the Thais behaved. Crying - really? :sad2:

These are elite athletes not community rec league. They must have had some inkling about their chances against the competition and (knowing less than nothing about international soccer) either the US team is a collective phenom or Thailand is extremely weak. I look forward to hearing the outcome of the rest of the tournament to see if the Thais are routed in every match and if the US steamrolls anybody else.

No, she should not be happy, she shouldn't show any emotions for that accomplishment that she dreamed of her whole life. She should have acted like a robot and just went on with the game. How dare she celebrate that moment, she should have thought about the other teams feelings not her own.

Yep, that's exactly what people are saying. :thumbsup2 :sad2:

Yep, that's exactly what people are saying. :thumbsup2 :sad2:

Well I did ask for examples of what is appropriate celebration and nobody bothered to answer.
That leaves me to think a few things, one of them being that the truth is these woman were acting appropriately for the occasion and that people just have to have something to complain about.
The other I'll just keep to myself.

You nailed it right there! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Well I did ask for examples of what is appropriate celebration and nobody bothered to answer.
That leaves me to think a few things, one of them being that the truth is these woman were acting appropriately for the occasion and that people just have to have something to complain about.
The other I'll just keep to myself.
To answer your question, a quick high five with the few players on the field and then back to the center line for another face off. Its funny to see how the US is all about big celebrations for what are like "empty net goals" in a route of an early round robin group game. In turn they got their pants in a twist when other countries actually had the nerve to celebrate winning an Olympic GOLD MEDAL. on the ice well after the crowds had left and there was just a few people ( a US media outlet) that reported it back home.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I can assure you if I scored a goal in a World Cup game I would have celebrated too regardless of the score. These women have worked hard and deserve their glory. They also celebrated with their teammates and did not taunt their opponent. The score was 3-0 at half. The Thai team either gave up or were not properly conditioned to let that route happen. That is not the USA team's fault.

One of the young women who scored two goals in this game I know personally. Her sister and my daughter played soccer together for years. This woman has worked hard her whole life for this moment and I do not begrudge her or her teammates any opportunity to celebrate a team goal.

If you want to take offense with their actions you are entitled to our opinion. I have no issue with it and I am entitled to my opinion. They obviously have passion and desire to play hard and reap the rewards. Hopefully our men's team is watching and taking note.

Overall, I think there is a whole lot of nothing going on here. I don't much care for histrionics on the playing field, at any level or in any game, and Rapinoe was a bit over the top. So what. But it isn't lost on me that the greatest pearl clutching is coming from former Canadian players who, in their own bout of histrionics, chastised the U.S. team.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/e...ortsmanship-after-13-goals-scored-vs-thailand
The most annoying portion of the commentary was expressed as such: “As a Canadian, we would just never, ever think of doing something like that.”

Well good for them! It also isn't lost on me that the three primary combatants on this thread are Canadian. Good for all of you that have the moral high ground. But why such angst from Canadians? I don't know a whole lot about soccer but I do follow many of the worldwide tournaments and have to believe that this is all just frustration. I can't find updated figures but the U.S. is something like 47-3-3 against Canada. In the 2012 Olympics Canada was gifted an opportunity when one of the Canadian players purposefully stepped on Carli Lloyd's head and the call was not made (look at the video on Youtube.) Canada had a chance to win that game but choked away the lead (that they never would have had if the earlier penalty was called) and then had the nerve to blame the officials for the loss! The Canadian captain was suspended for four games for essentially saying that the officials were on the take. The Canadian press went wild and continued the nonsense about how Canada was jobbed.

So what do I think? Canadian players and some citizens still resent the outcome of the 2012 game. They resent being dominated by the U.S. in women's soccer. They resent that their team was the poorest of sports (stomping on heads and whining about officiating seems much worse than harmless celebrations) and now have an opportunity to pile on the U.S.

Overall, I think there is a whole lot of nothing going on here. I don't much care for histrionics on the playing field, at any level or in any game, and Rapinoe was a bit over the top. So what. But it isn't lost on me that the greatest pearl clutching is coming from former Canadian players who, in their own bout of histrionics, chastised the U.S. team.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/e...ortsmanship-after-13-goals-scored-vs-thailand
The most annoying portion of the commentary was expressed as such: “As a Canadian, we would just never, ever think of doing something like that.”

Well good for them! It also isn't lost on me that the three primary combatants on this thread are Canadian. Good for all of you that have the moral high ground. But why such angst from Canadians? I don't know a whole lot about soccer but I do follow many of the worldwide tournaments and have to believe that this is all just frustration. I can't find updated figures but the U.S. is something like 47-3-3 against Canada. In the 2012 Olympics Canada was gifted an opportunity when one of the Canadian players purposefully stepped on Carli Lloyd's head and the call was not made (look at the video on Youtube.) Canada had a chance to win that game but choked away the lead (that they never would have had if the earlier penalty was called) and then had the nerve to blame the officials for the loss! The Canadian captain was suspended for four games for essentially saying that the officials were on the take. The Canadian press went wild and continued the nonsense about how Canada was jobbed.

So what do I think? Canadian players and some citizens still resent the outcome of the 2012 game. They resent being dominated by the U.S. in women's soccer. They resent that their team was the poorest of sports (stomping on heads and whining about officiating seems much worse than harmless celebrations) and now have an opportunity to pile on the U.S.
no, 2010 Women's hockey olympic gold medal after game celebration

In any sport when the game is out of hand, you show some class. Act like you've been there before even though you haven't. It isn't just Canada saying it was excessive. Plenty right here in the good ole USA are saying it too.

In any sport when the game is out of hand, you show some class. Act like you've been there before even though you haven't. It isn't just Canada saying it was excessive. Plenty right here in the good ole USA are saying it too.

Scoring a goal is a team goal. Celebrating together I do not believe is classless. People can say it is classless. It is their opinion, not a fact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter