USAA membership?

Ranger111

DIS Veteran
Looking to change auto/home insurance. Someone told me to try USAA, but I am not a vet.

My wife's father, however, did serve in the US Navy and is actually receiving care from the VA.

I "heard/read" that based on his service, we could join USAA.

I went through the first several pages of the USAA website membership application and got to the page where they want MY social security number.

Fine, I guess. But, my issue, does anyone know what they want after that?

My wife does not want to bother her father about any of his military service. He is actually not too well (has had FOUR bypass surgeries and now is having severe kidney problems).

We can tell USAA he was in the Navy and that is about it. Does anyone know what information they ask for after they get ALL MY INFORMATION.

I do not want to give out my and my wife's SSNs if USAA is going to insist on copies of father-in-law's records for an insurance policy that most likely will not be any better than the one we already have.

When I signed up years ago they did need information from my father who had served. He was not a career veteran though, so I actually qualified for very little through them and was told I was not eligible for car or house insurance unless he was using them, which he wasn't so I didn't look any further into it.

Looking to change auto/home insurance. Someone told me to try USAA, but I am not a vet.

My wife's father, however, did serve in the US Navy and is actually receiving care from the VA.

I "heard/read" that based on his service, we could join USAA.

I went through the first several pages of the USAA website membership application and got to the page where they want MY social security number.

Fine, I guess. But, my issue, does anyone know what they want after that?

My wife does not want to bother her father about any of his military service. He is actually not too well (has had FOUR bypass surgeries and now is having severe kidney problems).

We can tell USAA he was in the Navy and that is about it. Does anyone know what information they ask for after they get ALL MY INFORMATION.

I do not want to give out my and my wife's SSNs if USAA is going to insist on copies of father-in-law's records for an insurance policy that most likely will not be any better than the one we already have.

I know that for their CC I just needed my and my husband's SSN. His father is a vet. Not sure if they would need more for the insurance or not.

My dad was in the Navy when I joined many years ago so I don't remember what info they needed but they are a great company...great service. Agree with PP who said call them...over 30 years with them and I haven't had a bad interaction with any of their folks!

According to the USAA website, your father-in-law would have to become a USAA member before you could have access to banking and auto/home owners insurance policies. If not, then you would only be eligible for investments services, life insurance and shopping discounts. For your FIL to join, he would need to submit a photo ID plus one of these:
  • A long version of DD214.
  • Discharge certificate.
  • Leave and Earning Statement.
  • Military orders if actively serving.
I have USAA through my grandfather who was a career Army officer. My mother got an account through him and I got an account through my mother. I use this as my main bank. I used to have renters and auto insurance through USAA when I lived in Texas, but once I moved to Michigan, they said that I no longer qualified under Michigan's rules. I really wish I could still get USAA insurance because the rates were so much better than what I pay now. I have used USAA for my car loan, extended car warranties, mortgage and will be opening a life insurance policy with them soon. The rates are always amazingly good. And the service is always great too. If you can open an account, I would highly recommend it.

I'm a USAA member, but it's based on my own service so I can't say what they'd ask for based on family eligibility. They are a quick call, I've never had any issue with them.

According to the USAA website, your father-in-law would have to become a USAA member before you could have access to banking and auto/home owners insurance policies. If not, then you would only be eligible for investments services, life insurance and shopping discounts. For your FIL to join, he would need to submit a photo ID plus one of these:
  • A long version of DD214.
  • Discharge certificate.
  • Leave and Earning Statement.
  • Military orders if actively serving.
I have USAA through my grandfather who was a career Army officer. My mother got an account through him and I got an account through my mother. I use this as my main bank. I used to have renters and auto insurance through USAA when I lived in Texas, but once I moved to Michigan, they said that I no longer qualified under Michigan's rules. I really wish I could still get USAA insurance because the rates were so much better than what I pay now. I have used USAA for my car loan, extended car warranties, mortgage and will be opening a life insurance policy with them soon. The rates are always amazingly good. And the service is always great too. If you can open an account, I would highly recommend it.

I had no idea you couldn't use USAA in some states. Like you, my grandparents served, and my grandfather enrolled in USAA and my dad got an account through him, and he actually enrolled my sister and I as kids in some program through them, so I've always had USAA.

Their insurance rates are quite excellent, and I love banking through them too. Definitely recommend them for insurance services if you can access it.

We just joined USAA after a recommendation from our niece. My husband served in the army for two years - not a career soldier. Once we joined, we were told that our children were also eligible to join even though they are grown and out on their own. So far we have been very happy with the service. We switched all of our insurance policies to USAA.

I had no idea you couldn't use USAA in some states. Like you, my grandparents served, and my grandfather enrolled in USAA and my dad got an account through him, and he actually enrolled my sister and I as kids in some program through them, so I've always had USAA.

Their insurance rates are quite excellent, and I love banking through them too. Definitely recommend them for insurance services if you can access it.

I can pretty much use all of USAA's services except auto insurance. And that has more to do with Michigan's messed up no fault insurance system than anything. USAA uses a company called Garrison to provide insurance to non-military USAA members, like me. Garrison doesn't do business in Michigan and therefore only service members can get USAA insurance in the state. It was a huge bummer when I learned about it.

USAA recommended that I get insurance from Progressive, so after a few quotes, that is what I did. And when I bought my house, it was cheaper to combine my home owners policy with my Progressive auto policy than to buy a separate policy from USAA. Those multi-policy discounts can be pretty huge.

I can't help you with the information needed because we qualified due to my spouse (and now our children are qualified when they are of age). I can tell you that the insurance was much cheaper than the insurance we had previously. The customer service has always been excellent. We have the insurance for our rental house, the house we live in, and all our vehicles. We did have a toilet part burst in the house we rent out (and renters were not present, so damage was bad), and they were very helpful and speedy with payment (I'm thinking the payout was over $30000).

I have it because my father is a retired Army officer, career vet. All of my siblings and our spouses also qualify, as well as all our children. But, USAA has exceptional customer service. Call and speak to an agent directly, they will be able to help. Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

I received my member number when I was born as my father was a member. All of my children have member numbers as well. You may want to call as your wife may already have a number and you would get your member number as an extension of her. USAA has always been excellent. Their customer service is amazing and the rates that they offer really can't be beaten.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter