Use bunk instead of couch bed?

codygirl5150

Mouseketeer
It’ll be just DD16 and I on the Dream. Is it a huge inconvenience to ask the room steward to have him make up the pull down bunk bed instead of the couch bed? Is this ok to request?

If the cabin has a pull-down bunk, than you can absolutely ask to have that as a bed. but a cabin for 2, you may not have that option.

I never thought about this, and I’m glad you brought it up. We have a deluxe family stateroom because it was going to be five of us, but one of our DS has decided not to go. So, I’ll have to ask where the other two want to sleep.

I've done this on multiple cruises. As others have mentioned, just touch base with your stateroom host the first afternoon and let him/her know you'd like the bunk made up. We had one cruise when our host forgot we had asked for the bunk and made up the couch instead. We happened to run into him that evening after the beds were made up and mentioned that the couch was fine for that night but we'd like the bunk for future nights. He immediately went in and switched it so the bunk was made up.

When we sailed last month, my parents' steward made up BOTH for my niece b/c they hadn't told him which they wanted and I guess we were all just too busy for him to catch! Or he simply didn't know which of the kids in our 3 staterooms were sleeping where and opened everything up just in case. anyway - after they chatted with him the next day, he actually said his default is to make the bunk up rather than the couch, b/c then the couch can still be used as a couch the entire time. I'm not sure if that was 'his' thing, or DCL standard though.

As soon as we are allowed in our stateroom, we find our stateroom host and ask them to open the bunk and leave it open for the duration of the cruise. My daughter likes to come back during the day usually and chill for a while on the bunk watching cartoons or something. I think on our 3 night Dream cruise our steward said he couldn't leave the bunk down during the day. All of our other stewards have (on every ship--including our other time on the Dream).

On one of our cruises, we had success having the room steward just leave the bunk down the whole time. On the other, he kept putting it back up even after we told him he could just leave it down. (Maybe we should have phrased it, "please leave it down" instead of giving him the option). But they have no issue with you using it, even with just three people in the room. My DD prefers the bunk to the sofa.

Three person family here, and we asked that the bunk be made up and left open for the cruise. No issues, and my daughter loved it!

I know there is some sort of weight limit on the pull down beds. I forget exactly what it was, but as a 250+ pound person I knew I shouldn't touch it. If I remember correctly, though, I think my wife climbed up on it to read to my daughter, so it is probably fine for a 16 year old girl. Just something I thought was worth bringing up for consideration.

We're a family of 3 and have never asked about the bunk and have always had the couch made up as the bed. So, not sure there is a "standard" since we all seem to get different outcomes. Our plan was, now that our daughter is older, to ask her her preference and ask the attendant for whatever that may be.

When the bunk is down, is the couch usable to sit on for an adult?
It was for us, but we're not tall (all 5'4" or under)

We had two staterooms, but 3 kids (and 4 adults). We asked to have the bunk down in both rooms (kids just really wanted to sleep in the bunks)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!