Use year at deed expiration

ppahel

Earning My Ears
Hello,

What happens to points during the final year of a deed with DVC? For example, if the deed expires on January 31st, 2042 with a Aug UY, do the points that arrive on August 1st, 2041 need to be used by January 31st 2042 or by July 31st 2042? Trying to understand how that works so I can fill in my denominator when researching and comparing contracts.

Thanks

Hello,

What happens to points during the final year of a deed with DVC? For example, if the deed expires on January 31st, 2042 with a Aug UY, do the points that arrive on August 1st, 2041 need to be used by January 31st 2042 or by July 31st 2042? Trying to understand how that works so I can fill in my denominator when researching and comparing contracts.

Thanks
My understanding - and I'd love to be wrong - is that you would need to use all your points by January 31, 2042. 2041 is the last year you'd receive points.

My understanding - and I'd love to be wrong - is that you would need to use all your points by January 31, 2042. 2041 is the last year you'd receive points.
You’re not wrong. People with a December UY will either a) have 62 days to use their points, b) need to borrow them into 2040 UY, or c) let them expire. Your contract would be over 1/31 so as I read it you couldn’t use them after that at any resort.

2040+2041 will be interesting. PS Boardwalk has about 20% of contracts with a Dec UY and BRV isn’t that far behind.

We simply don't know. Mathematically there are not enough unit days to take care of all the points for all the UY for the last couple of years. They have lots of options and likely will use a combination. They could make it a free for all and you just lose the points you can't use (likely not paying dues), they could have a lottery system or prorate the # of points one could use. Regardless they'll have to limit banking and likely will limit borrowing the last 2-3 years. What I'm sure they won't do is extend the dates and just allow people to use up the remaining points for free.

What I'm sure they won't do is extend the dates and just allow people to use up the remaining points for free.

You got me thinking. There may be something where they offer an incentive for people who rebuy their resort to "get their leftover points". Meaning they just book you a cash room for the equivalent.

Who knows though its almost 2 decades out before rumors even start of what will be done likely.

You got me thinking. There may be something where they offer an incentive for people who rebuy their resort to "get their leftover points". Meaning they just book you a cash room for the equivalent.

Who knows though its almost 2 decades out before rumors even start of what will be done likely.
DVD does not have a history of benevolence when it comes to sales or anything along those lines. When they offered the extension at OKW, it was priced at almost double what it was truly worth even with the discount down to $15 at the time. You can bet if they offer any additional flexibility it'll come with a high cost. There's also the "will they offer extensions to the 2042 resorts" but that's another 50 page thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!