used both universals new gac and disney`s during the worst crowd week ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
AGAIN WHY DOES THIS MATTER SO MUCH TO YOU??? ...talk about sidestepping. I have asked this twice and no answer so the second time is directly to you. Why do even care about this? Why does this matter TO YOU?

Where exactly did you get the idea that anyone owes YOU an explanation as to why they're posting on a thread? FTR, I do have a family member that utilized the GAC, and will utilize the DAS.

In case you hadn't realized it, the way the GAC was implemented affected EVERYONE in the park, so there are many of us that are happy to see the changes that have been made, because not only is the incentive for abuse minimized, but the preferential treatment that negatively impacted non-GAC guests has been rolled back to provide a more equal treatment for all guests.

Oh. Now there's a mandatory survey to discuss topics on this board.

I'll be clear. I have a child who requires accommodations. What those may be are not your business. Have I used the GAC? No. Because I want to work with her on what to expect in the world that she will grow up in and she can do without it.

Will I use the DAS in the future? Possibly. I'd like to think no. Realistically, we may need to utilize it.

Do I care that families receive accommodation? Yes! I WANT them to! They deserve to enjoy the park in as equal a way as possible. I'm not in favor of having a negative effect on someone else to get something though. And if that means someone has to wait longer so someone else doesn't have to wait, I disagree with it. No one is more special than the next person.

What works for your child and her disabilities does not always work for others, so you have no right to agree with or disagree with what accommodations someone else needs. Let Disney decide what to offer and I have the right to state my opinion on how that did not work for my family. Why you think that is up for debate is what is wrong. I would never tell you how to feel when it comes to your vacation nor should I think anyone else has the right. I posted this on here to help others who need to plan for themselves. Some have it better than my son has some worse. Let them figure it out for themselves without having to come here and be debated.
FYI people have PMd me about this saying they wont even post here because of the way people are treated. I find that sad! This should be about helping each other through this not arguing who is right or wrong.

What works for your child and her disabilities does not always work for others, so you have no right to agree with or disagree with what accommodations someone else needs. Let Disney decide what to offer and I have the right to state my opinion on how that did not work for my family. Why you think that is up for debate is what is wrong. I would never tell you how to feel when it comes to your vacation nor should I think anyone else has the right. I posted this on here to help others who need to plan for themselves. Some have it better than my son has some worse. Let them figure it out for themselves without having to come here and be debated. FYI people have PMd me about this saying they wont even post here because of the way people are treated. I find that sad! This should be about helping each other through this not arguing who is right or wrong.

That's okay. I've gotten PMs with the same messages!

I didn't tell you how to feel in any post. I pointed out something you overlooked or didn't consider. Big difference. Of course anyone would prefer Universals system comparing them side by side on paper.

Disney HAS decided what accommodations to give. The DAS. I'm not making any decisions for them. I'm not on the committee this year. However, when people expect accommodations that have a negative impact other guests I'm welcome to disagree. I'm welcome to say why. And I'm welcome to 'debate it' if that's what it turns into.

I didn't tell you how to feel in any post. I pointed out something you overlooked or didn't consider. Big difference. Of course anyone would prefer Universals system comparing them side by side on paper.

Disney HAS decided what accommodations to give. The DAS. I'm not making any decisions for them. I'm not on the committee this year. However, when people expect accommodations that have a negative impact other guests I'm welcome to disagree. I'm welcome to say why. And I'm welcome to 'debate it' if that's what it turns into.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Who asked you lol?

Umm, you did, in post #92:

Can I ask something? How many on here just come to debate this issue and don't have disabled children or family members that they go to the park with regularly? If you are here without a disabled family members interest why do you feel the need to be on this board? And why are you acting like something is being given to "us" and not "you"? How does this impact your life at all?? We would still be online in front of you anyway at some point. This was to help make the experience enjoyable instead of miserable for people who are disabled or have disabled children...What in the grand scheme is the big deal if a disabled person wait a little less than you? Most of the park attractions a typically disabled person can't even attempt to do. Trust me you all who don't have to deal with a disability have it way way over on us. You get more out of the Disney experience than my son will get in his entire lifetime.

I didn't tell you how to feel in any post. I pointed out something you overlooked or didn't consider. Big difference. I obviously misjudged your ability to take a different perspective like an adult.

Of course anyone would prefer Universals system comparing them side by side on paper.

But the point is this isn't "on paper" this was my real life experience which should be taken as that one person's opinion. Why this turns into a debate is ridiculous.
I think being there for 2 weeks being at least one practically everyday (I think we took 3 days off) gives it a little more credibility than comparing "on paper". That was why I posted, to help other people see what it is like on the busiest weeks of the year and plan accordingly.

But the point is this isn't "on paper" this was my real life experience which should be taken as that one person's opinion. Why this turns into a debate is ridiculous. I think being there for 2 weeks being at least one practically everyday (I think we took 3 days off) gives it a little more credibility than comparing "on paper". That was why I posted, to help other people see what it is like on the busiest weeks of the year and plan accordingly.

Ok. But like I said, if Disney had the EXACT SAME process of letting you onto something 30 minutes or less it STILL would have done nothing to help you at Disney. All the rides were 90+ minutes (as posted by a SECOND person who was there). Are you really not understanding that?

It's be something entirely different if you went on a typical day and could say 'with Universals policy we could have done xyz but weren't able to.'

There is nothing you can say that for because you went during the busiest time of the year at Disney and quite possibly the busiest time ever. It's not an equal comparison aside from just comparing the two cards together and there's a website for that already which also tossed in Sea World for good measure.

Oh. Now there's a mandatory survey to discuss topics on this board?

I'll be clear. I have a child who requires accommodations. What those may be are not your business.

Have I used the GAC? No. Because I want to work with her on what to expect in the world that she will grow up in and she can do without it. We happen to go during slower periods because we aren't suicidal.

Will I use the DAS in the future? Possibly. I'd like to think no. Realistically, we may need to utilize it.

Do I care that families receive accommodation? Yes! I WANT them to! Everybody deserves to enjoy the park in as equal a way as possible. I'm not in favor of having a negative effect on someone else to get something though. And if that means someone has to wait longer so someone else doesn't have to wait, I disagree with it. No one is more special than the next person.

This topic was a discussion that you helped turn into a debate. It didn't start that way and you had an equal part in what it morphed into.

I just wanted to post that we're the same way. I have a chronic illness and my ds is disabled. We've never used a GAC/DAS, despite many, many trips to the Disney parks. I've never seen a reason to. We make accommodations within our family, and don't want any special treatment. It does mean that we can't get as much out of the parks as other people, but then again, people traveling with a typical 2 year old don't "get" as much out of the parks as a childless couple, either. You have to accommodate your child's needs, even if they don't have a disability. We do it for day to day life, and we do it on vacation, too. The only place we ever push for services is at school, because I want my son to grow up and be able to have a career that is fulfilling for him.

Ok. But like I said, if Disney had the EXACT SAME process of letting you onto something 30 minutes or less it STILL would have done nothing to help you at Disney. All the rides were 90+ minutes (as posted by a SECOND person who was there). Are you really not understanding that?

It's be something entirely different if you went on a typical day and could say 'with Universals policy we could have done xyz but weren't able to.'

There is nothing you can say that for because you went during the busiest time of the year at Disney and quite possibly the busiest time ever. It's not an equal comparison aside from just comparing the two cards together and there's a website for that already which also tossed in Sea World for good measure.
When I was there and when I saw the ride times, yes it would have helped my family. So you are trying to put someone else's experience onto my opinion and how it impacted my family. How will that work?

I never used an unlimited fast pass so apparently you are in here just to argue and not discuss. If you have read my posts including ones from my old 3disneynuts you would clearly see I never had nor used an unlimited fast pass. But again thanks for not answering any of the questions. Apparently you like one-sided discussion where you just bark out your opinion no matter how erroneous you are with the details. It proves our are just being snarky and not reading the actual discussion.

I've answered your questions, you just don't like the answers.

The GAC, as it was implemented, was an unlimited FastPass. You could use it to enter any FastPass line at any time, with return time, and cut in front of all of the people that were in the standby line. If you weren't using it that way, then the DAS should be no different.

When I was there and when I saw the ride times, yes it would have helped my family. So you are trying to put someone else's experience onto my opinion and how it impacted my family. How will that work?

Alright. I'm sure Disney will take your suggestion ( that would have benefited you once ) with the utmost seriousness.

Is there a reason you didn't utilize FP+? I have 3 rides scheduled in 3 hours for Feb. combined with the DAS you could have had 4+ rides in 3 hours. Or at least more than you did on your trip.

As far a the negative impact was from people who scammed the system not the disabled that is what made it unfair. Not the people who legitimately used it for their disability. Get that straight!

No, you're wrong (again). The negative impacts were from the huge number of people using the GAC, and the vast majority of those people were not the non-disabled cheating the system. Allowing thousands of people to utilize the FastPass system without FastPasses was causing longer waits for the FP lines and the standby lines. Disney needs to be able to control the FP lines, or they're useless.

Also, unless you are now a moderator on this forum, you would do well to stop ordering people around, telling them what they are and aren't permitted to respond to, or how they are to respond.

Oh. Now there's a mandatory survey to discuss topics on this board? I'll be clear. I have a child who requires accommodations. What those may be are not your business. Have I used the GAC? No. Because I want to work with her on what to expect in the world that she will grow up in and she can do without it. We happen to go during slower periods because we aren't suicidal. Will I use the DAS in the future? Possibly. I'd like to think no. Realistically, we may need to utilize it. Do I care that families receive accommodation? Yes! I WANT them to! Everybody deserves to enjoy the park in as equal a way as possible. I'm not in favor of having a negative effect on someone else to get something though. And if that means someone has to wait longer so someone else doesn't have to wait, I disagree with it. No one is more special than the next person. This topic was a discussion that you helped turn into a debate. It didn't start that way and you had an equal part in what it morphed into.

For what it's worth, I agree with your position. My 10 year-old daughter has autism and when we made our first trip to Disney (she was 9 and our son was 4), we had the GAC. We went during the off season, so we really didn't have to use it that often, but when we did it was truly necessary for a positive experience for our entire family. That being said, we continually test our daughter's limits, as that is the only way to spur growth, so we have seen an increase in what she can/will tolerate. She has significant verbal and social impairments, so we will attempt to get the DAS for our February trip. We have also planned this trip around less busy times in the park, and plan to incorporate FP+, so my hope is that the DAS will serve as a backup IF needed. As unpopular as my school of thought may be (as it pertains to my own family), I'm thankful Disney offers any additional accommodations, beyond ride accessibility, at all. It isn't something we automatically deserve, simply because I have a child with a disability. I'm sorry, but that isn't real life.

And to be brutally honest, we didn't make our first trip until we felt our daughter had matured and developed the skills necessary to handle Disney without countless meltdowns, sensory overload and unmanageable stress for us all. We wouldn't have even considered the trip before that. We had some rough patches, as we will have during this trip, but they will be minimized by our preparation and being fully cognizant of her limits.

I realize this post strays from the OP's topic, but just wanted to add my two cents. : )

On an additional note - I see a lot of discussion on accommodations to provide guests with disabilities the same, or similar, experiences as, "typical," guests. From our perspective, that is not even a possibility, since we do not have a, "typical," child. Our little girl will experience Disney within the confines of her unique challenges, and no passes, cards or passes will change that. I wish Disney was truly THAT magical. : )

Why is this turning into a debate? Not once did I say anything was or is unfair. What I am doing is giving what I think is valeuable information to people who want to know the differences. Also in my experience universal is more acaccomadating with their new system. I also booked this trip over 7months ago well before these changed were announced. I calleddDisney when these were being put in effect and told this would be better than the old system by the cast member. To me it is definitely not better for my son and his needs.

Hopefully the info I am providing will help others plan so that their trip is the best it can be for them.

My advice from my experience these past almost two weeks is if you can go off season. If that's not possible I would try to stay on universal property so you can use their unlimited express and get a gap.

I will also be calling/emailing Disney on how the das limited our experience tremendously compared to many other times we have gone to the world.

Again comparing apples to apple's universals pass allowed us to do much more. Than Disney's fp and das.

You need to understand first that no matter how well Uni accommodates those with disabilities, the Disney apologists will find fault or figure out how/why Disney is still better. Just wanted to let you know that I get what you what you're saying. It's so annoying that some will twist posts around until they get you doubt what you posted in the first place. You make perfect sense. Some also refuse to understand that what works for one person with say, autism, will not work for another. Autism is not a blanket syndrome with all affected in the same way.
I appreciate you sharing your experience.:goodvibes

I would like to point out that I don't think the GAC system failed because scammers were overloading the system. When a system is set up that is that inequitable to all guests it became very easy for many people to justify a need for the GAC for someone in their party. People tend to think that their need justifies a special accommodation more than someone else's. Unfortunately you can't make that call about someone else and Disney can't make that call either. With such a generous benefit that the GAC afforded, many people who might have otherwise found a way to cope with their issue, decided to use a GAC. The majority of these people were not scammers, you just might not understand their need.

As the mother an an autistic child I have used GAC in the passed and anyone that says it wasn't a FOTL pass (for those NOT in wheelchairs) is a liar. I mean yeah you had to wait in the fastpass line, but there were only a few rides where that line was really long (Soarin, Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story are the three I can think of). Of course it was more convenient for us with the GAC and the DAS pass is going to be a little harder to deal with but oh well we will suck it up and work around it. If we ride less rides then so be it, it will still probably be more rides faster than those without DAS becasue we CAN ride another ride while waiting for our DAS time. I don't see how anyone can't find that reasonable, even if it isn't as great as GAC was (but GAC wasn't equal under ADA, it was BETTER, now DAS is more equal). Now wheelchairs where you can't transfer will still suck because of having to wait for the special vehicles BUT I think most people in that situation go to the park knowing they are going to wait because of the lack of handicap vehicles (they really need to install a few more on each ride)

I think this post is spectacularly out of line. To say someone is a liar is truly inappropriate. And, in fact, the GAC was NOT a FOTL/unlimited fast pass.

I and several of my family members have varying (visible, invisible, mobility, non-mobility) issues that affect our time at the parks. For years, I didn't need to use the GAC, or a wheelchair. In recent trips I have used both, as has my family. This (early "low crowd") December was our first experience with DAS.

GAC was, for our family, vastly superior to DAS. It was never "Better" than being able bodied and standing in regular line, and it never afforded us more privileges than those who did not use it. It was NEVER a FOTL pass, or an unlimited fast pass, as the person I quoted above seems to think.

Depending on what stamp/accommodation was on the GAC, some with the GAC were NOT ALLOWED into fast pass lines without actually getting fast passes like everyone else. Some were, but may have waited longer in different areas (to avoid crowds, await a special vehicle, bypass stairs, wait for a cast member to let them into a separate line etc. Frequently, although we did usually access the FP line with the GAC, we waited longer than the FP queue time, given constraints like those listed above. It did NOT provide FOTL or a shortened wait the majority of the time. It did prevent us from having to (with limited mobility and stamina) cross the park to get a fast pass, go to another attraction while we waited, and then walk back to the first, FP, ride- a LOT of unnecessary strain. It also allowed CM to see accommodations we needed.
The new DAS failed our family on both those counts. With having to go to an attraction to get a return time, and return to the attraction later (vs just entering the FP line) it necessitated a lot of crisscrossing the park. After doing that once (Get a time, go to a ride with a standby line uncrowded enough that DS9 could handle, cross back to original ride) I A) had to rent a wheelchair and B) couldn't do it any longer, so I just had to entertain antsy kids during the entire DAS wait. That situation is fine, and something I had to do while waiting in alternate areas with the GAC, but the problems came when all of a sudden SNDS9 changed his mind about what ride he wanted to do, completely melting down. With GAC, we would have simply gone to the new ride he wanted to try. With DAS we were stuck in a queue with nasty judgmental people (not safely to the side as allowed with GAC) of the ride for which we had gotten a return time.
Additionally, with the DAS, when the wait was 20 minutes, a CM refused to give me a return time and indicated that I should just go in the regular line. The issues we face are exacerbated by crowds and tight spaces. Having a so-called "short" standby line time does not change that fact. But unlike GAC which clearly indicated an alternate entrance, not a "short line," DAS makes no provision for this. DAS was similarly unhelpful when I needed to explain the need for captions, for front row seating, etc.
As for the FP+, we had carefully planned ours to supplement the DAS. Until SNDS9 had a migraine that landed him in the infirmary for 3 hours, blowing our times out of the water, and leaving my husband to struggle to reschedule them with an unresponsive app. For example, he rescheduled one FP+ but then I couldn't handle the mobility challenges along with the other children while he was in the infirmary, so it didn't work. Rides near me either didn't have FP+ or they were no longer available. CM had told us to use FP+ for parade seating, so we used one of our options for that, only to find that come parade time, they had not set up a FP+ area that day. The app crashed many times, making adjusting our FP+ schedule so difficult that we finally gave up. There is nothing equal about DAS.
And while I certainly agree that Disney doesn't owe me or my family anything, it saddens me, as DVC and annual pass holders, staunch advocates of Disney for it's therapeutic effects on my SNDS9, that based on this DAS experience during a low-crowd time of year and it's nightmarish results (especially in comparison to how we were able to cope using GAC) we will no longer make Disney our go-to place. We are selling our latest DVC VGF acquisition, we did not renew our premium annual passes, and we have no Disney trips planned for the later part of this year. It deeply distresses me and my family, as we were not able to merely "Suck it up" and deal with doing fewer rides as the person quoted above suggests. OP's observation that Universal does allow express line access while waiting offers a glimmer of hope, and I appreciate her sharing.
Unfortunately, being both Pooh-sized and having other physical limitations, the rides at Universal are less accommodating. However it is still something to consider. i hope this lengthy post helps someone as they try to figure out how DAS works vs GAC in real experience, and perhaps reminds posters to be kinder to one another.
:goodvibes

I would like to point out that I don't think the GAC system failed because scammers were overloading the system. When a system is set up that is that inequitable to all guests it became very easy for many people to justify a need for the GAC for someone in their party. People tend to think that their need justifies a special accommodation more than someone else's. Unfortunately you can't make that call about someone else and Disney can't make that call either. With such a generous benefit that the GAC afforded, many people who might have otherwise found a way to cope with their issue, decided to use a GAC. The majority of these people were not scammers, you just might not understand their need.

Exactly. It wasn't just the abuse by the non-disabled,it was the sheer number of people using it. It just wasn't sustainable.

I think this post is spectacularly out of line. To say someone is a liar is truly inappropriate. And, in fact, the GAC was NOT a FOTL/unlimited fast pass.

I and several of my family members have varying (visible, invisible, mobility, non-mobility) issues that affect our time at the parks. For years, I didn't need to use the GAC, or a wheelchair. In recent trips I have used both, as has my family. This (early "low crowd") December was our first experience with DAS.

GAC was, for our family, vastly superior to DAS. It was never "Better" than being able bodied and standing in regular line, and it never afforded us more privileges than those who did not use it. It was NEVER a FOTL pass, or an unlimited fast pass, as the person I quoted above seems to think.

Depending on what stamp/accommodation was on the GAC, some with the GAC were NOT ALLOWED into fast pass lines without actually getting fast passes like everyone else. Some were, but may have waited longer in different areas (to avoid crowds, await a special vehicle, bypass stairs, wait for a cast member to let them into a separate line etc. Frequently, although we did usually access the FP line with the GAC, we waited longer than the FP queue time, given constraints like those listed above. It did NOT provide FOTL or a shortened wait the majority of the time. It did prevent us from having to (with limited mobility and stamina) cross the park to get a fast pass, go to another attraction while we waited, and then walk back to the first, FP, ride- a LOT of unnecessary strain. It also allowed CM to see accommodations we needed.
The new DAS failed our family on both those counts. With having to go to an attraction to get a return time, and return to the attraction later (vs just entering the FP line) it necessitated a lot of crisscrossing the park. After doing that once (Get a time, go to a ride with a standby line uncrowded enough that DS9 could handle, cross back to original ride) I A) had to rent a wheelchair and B) couldn't do it any longer, so I just had to entertain antsy kids during the entire DAS wait. That situation is fine, and something I had to do while waiting in alternate areas with the GAC, but the problems came when all of a sudden SNDS9 changed his mind about what ride he wanted to do, completely melting down. With GAC, we would have simply gone to the new ride he wanted to try. With DAS we were stuck in a queue with nasty judgmental people (not safely to the side as allowed with GAC) of the ride for which we had gotten a return time.
Additionally, with the DAS, when the wait was 20 minutes, a CM refused to give me a return time and indicated that I should just go in the regular line. The issues we face are exacerbated by crowds and tight spaces. Having a so-called "short" standby line time does not change that fact. But unlike GAC which clearly indicated an alternate entrance, not a "short line," DAS makes no provision for this. DAS was similarly unhelpful when I needed to explain the need for captions, for front row seating, etc.
As for the FP+, we had carefully planned ours to supplement the DAS. Until SNDS9 had a migraine that landed him in the infirmary for 3 hours, blowing our times out of the water, and leaving my husband to struggle to reschedule them with an unresponsive app. For example, he rescheduled one FP+ but then I couldn't handle the mobility challenges along with the other children while he was in the infirmary, so it didn't work. Rides near me either didn't have FP+ or they were no longer available. CM had told us to use FP+ for parade seating, so we used one of our options for that, only to find that come parade time, they had not set up a FP+ area that day. The app crashed many times, making adjusting our FP+ schedule so difficult that we finally gave up. There is nothing equal about DAS.
And while I certainly agree that Disney doesn't owe me or my family anything, it saddens me, as DVC and annual pass holders, staunch advocates of Disney for it's therapeutic effects on my SNDS9, that based on this DAS experience during a low-crowd time of year and it's nightmarish results (especially in comparison to how we were able to cope using GAC) we will no longer make Disney our go-to place. We are selling our latest DVC VGF acquisition, we did not renew our premium annual passes, and we have no Disney trips planned for the later part of this year. It deeply distresses me and my family, as we were not able to merely "Suck it up" and deal with doing fewer rides as the person quoted above suggests. OP's observation that Universal does allow express line access while waiting offers a glimmer of hope, and I appreciate her sharing.
Unfortunately, being both Pooh-sized and having other physical limitations, the rides at Universal are less accommodating. However it is still something to consider. i hope this lengthy post helps someone as they try to figure out how DAS works vs GAC in real experience, and perhaps reminds posters to be kinder to one another.
:goodvibes

For people that had the alternate entrance stamp on their GAC, it most certainly was an unlimited FP. When you can walk up to a ride, show your GAC, and go immediately into the FP line or alternate entrance, then how could it NOT be considered an unlimited FP?

You stated yourself that the reason the GAC worked better than the DAS was because you could go the ride and get right into the FP line.

And I haven't seen anyone post that anyone else should "suck it up"...I believe the poster said that's what his or her family is doing.

Not super interested in getting into the debate here but:

We were there the same week as the OP, and whoever is saying that the shortest wait times in the MK were 102 minutes or whatever is not stating the truth. There were large waits on many rides, but we toured on Christmas Eve, and were in the park from 7:00 am to about 4:00 pm. The only part of the day that was unbearable for us was 3:00-4:00 (we stayed to complete a FP+), and it was only unbearable because of the crowd in the walkways. There were still several attractions available with <30 min waits. Headliners? No, but still attractions that could be paired with waiting for a return time. We also made sure to collect return times before our scheduled snack at BOG and our meal at LTT.

In our experience, the GAC was easier for us because it allowed us to not worry about planning and keeping our child with significant medical issues on a schedule. The DAS, combined with FP+, wheelchair return times, pairing waits with shorter wait attractions, and touring early morning/late night provided similar ACCESS to attractions, but it was a lot of work and planning. I can see that it would be especially frustrating for someone who is not intimately familiar with the parks.

We did have the option to enter attractions with waits under 20 min through the FP + line, even with a return time. I did not ask, but was OFFERED this specifically at talking mickey.

Personally, the most frustrating thing for me was having to walk my kid through winding poorly-lit queues at attractions with no wait. I feel like the Nemo queue specifically is very unsafe, and the CM should have just sent us through the FP queue since it was a walkon. (My child is in a wheelchair with a lot of medical attachments depending on the time of day).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter