Useless facts/Chit Chat Thread

It might seem safe to assume that the Canary Islands were named after canary birds, but the location was actually named after dogs. Although it's off the coast of northwestern Africa, the archipelago is actually part of Spain. In Spanish, the area's name is Islas Canarias, which comes from the Latin phrase Canariae Insulae for "island of dogs."

The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra’s “Its A Wonderful Life”

McDonald’s in Sedona, Arizona, is the only one in the world with turquoise arches instead of golden ones.

The McDonald’s down the road from where I used to work was pink to meet requirements of the historic district in our small mid-western town.

ADEDA6CC-1338-4950-A441-48DC1B66F659.jpeg

You can see in the photo that it burned down...and it was replaced with brick and stone facade.

Since then, the only fire station the town had also burned down (volunteer department so no one was there to put it out quickly) and the other main restaurant in town burned down too.

I think I'd move

Speaking of that, the average American moves 11.7 times in his or her lifetime. Most common age to move is 25-29 y/o, and women move more than men.

Friday is most popular day to move, where Sunday is the least popular. More people moved to Texas this past year than any other state.

Speaking of that, the average American moves 11.7 times in his or her lifetime. Most common age to move is 25-29 y/o, and women move more than men.

Friday is most popular day to move, where Sunday is the least popular. More people moved to Texas this past year than any other state.

Yup...please go back.
just kidding. Texas is big enough for newbies. Austin is not, and yet they keep trying to expand in this area. Our town was 8,000 when we moved in 5 years ago and now we are pushing 16,000. My hubby has a population sign on his wall that says 1,795 and we were told it was from the 90s.

A person cannot taste food unless it is mixed with saliva. For example, if a strong-tasting substance like salt is placed on a dry tongue, the taste buds will not be able to taste it. As soon as a drop of saliva is added and the salt is dissolved, however, a definite taste sensation results. This is true for all foods.

The name for Oz in the “Wizard of Oz” was thought up when the creator, Frank Baum, looked at his filing cabinet and saw A-N, and O-Z, hence “Oz.”

Today in 1907, President Theodore Roosevelt signed an immigration act which excluded "idiots, imbeciles, feebleminded persons & insane persons" from being admitted into the United States.

Today in 1907, President Theodore Roosevelt signed an immigration act which excluded "idiots, imbeciles, feebleminded persons & insane persons" from being admitted into the United States.

Teddy was my kind of guy. Like the John Wayne or Clint Eastwood as President, only real.

teddy.gif

teddy2.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!