Using Avios points to fly to Orlando

Face Like Fizz

Mouseketeer
Hi all. We're brand new DVC'ers. Having hummed and hawed for a couple of years we finally signed up last month on a Disney cruise and are now very excited VGF owners!

My question concerns flights. We have built up loads of Avios points over the last couple of years with Amex and Tesco Clubcard. I had been hoping we could use these each year and avoid paying much for flights but am now wondering how realistic this is. It seems the number of Avios seats per flight is quite limited and there are 5 of us at present. The children are currently 15, 12 and 10 so will still be holidaying with us for a few years. This also means we're limited to school holidays - we usually go away in October.

Does anyone here use Avios points? How easy have you found it to book?

Rachel

Hi all. We're brand new DVC'ers. Having hummed and hawed for a couple of years we finally signed up last month on a Disney cruise and are now very excited VGF owners! My question concerns flights. We have built up loads of Avios points over the last couple of years with Amex and Tesco Clubcard. I had been hoping we could use these each year and avoid paying much for flights but am now wondering how realistic this is. It seems the number of Avios seats per flight is quite limited and there are 5 of us at present. The children are currently 15, 12 and 10 so will still be holidaying with us for a few years. This also means we're limited to school holidays - we usually go away in October. Does anyone here use Avios points? How easy have you found it to book? Rachel

Yes we use Avios to go to DL, the tax is quite high though when using them from the UK.
I think your best bet would be to change instead of flying direct, maybe in to New York then down to Orlando. There are ways around it just takes a bit of digging around.
Check out Head for points website as they have a lot of useful info regarding using your Avios.
Good luck!

Firstly, congratulations on becoming DVC members at VGF and hope you had a wonderful cruise. We don't collect Avios but have read about using those points to upgrade flights, also if you're happy to drive then availability might be better on a Tampa or Miami flight. Also worth checking a mixture, say flying into Tampa and out of Orlando or Miami and visa-versa.

Check out these post on FLYER TALK and might be worth searching Avios on that site and then asking the same question and good luck....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...b/1379276-your-guide-spending-avios-beta.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...b/1584627-manchester-miami-booking-quirk.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...n-florida-using-avios-no-ba-availability.html

I think your best bet would be to change instead of flying direct, maybe in to New York then down to Orlando.

Thank you - I hadn't thought about indirect. Now I've had a look there seem to be quite a few options including New York, Chicago and Philadelphia. Phew, this is going to take some researching!

Check out these post on FLYER TALK and might be worth searching Avios on that site and then asking the same question and good luck....

Thank you for the links. I haven't come across Flyertalk before. There's some really useful information there.

It will take some research but you should find something to suit your needs.

Taxes are a killer going out/coming in to London. Its not worth going economy, as you could buy a cash flight for not much more, but for business or first it probably is worth it.

If you were going indirect, have you considered leaving from Dublin? I have just booked flights for next year from Dublin to Boston. They fall into a lower band for avios, and the taxes are literally hundreds of pounds cheaper (for a return trip, we are having to do a different route back which is New York to Berlin, but getting a cash flight back from Berlin is around £65) the taxes are around £60 each for the 3 of us, thats for 2 in business and 1 in economy. We are getting a train/ferry deal to Dublin for £38 each, and will go a day or 2 before, so can also spend some time there.

I have been collecting avios for a couple of years and studying travel blogs to learn tips like these. You do really need to do your research.

Taxes are a killer going out/coming in to London. Its not worth going economy, as you could buy a cash flight for not much more, but for business or first it probably is worth it. If you were going indirect, have you considered leaving from Dublin? I have just booked flights for next year from Dublin to Boston. They fall into a lower band for avios, and the taxes are literally hundreds of pounds cheaper (for a return trip, we are having to do a different route back which is New York to Berlin, but getting a cash flight back from Berlin is around £65) the taxes are around £60 each for the 3 of us, thats for 2 in business and 1 in economy. We are getting a train/ferry deal to Dublin for £38 each, and will go a day or 2 before, so can also spend some time there. I have been collecting avios for a couple of years and studying travel blogs to learn tips like these. You do really need to do your research.

Fantastic advice. ;)
May I also suggest you take a look at Head for points as he has a lot of information about how to do what Ladyshopper suggested.

Taxes are a killer going out/coming in to London. Its not worth going economy, as you could buy a cash flight for not much more, but for business or first it probably is worth it.

The taxes are ridiculous! Dublin is an interesting idea. I'll add it to my research list.

It's getting so complicated I'm starting to wonder if we'd be better off ditching the Avios credit card and going for one that gives cashback to put towards flights. Except that would need even more research...:)

We always use avios as they allow us to fly home business class which we couldn't afford to do otherwise and I've never had too much bother finding a reward flight. We find it fairly easy to collect enough to do this every year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!