• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Using debit cards

hockey mom

<font color=coral>Loves to do the Napkin Dance at
Has anyone paid for the hotel room or shopped at Disney with your debit card. Does it work the same way as here, or are there extra service charges for using it in the states.

Hockey Mom: I can't really answer your question, but can give you some info on my experience down here about how it works.

They tend to use "fake VISA/Mastercard" or as they call them, "Check card" (Kevin Bacon, Charlie Sheen commercials) down here. There aren't really the same as a true debit card. With the check card, it eliminates the step where you have to punch in "from what account - chequing or savings"
If you present your "debit card" they might not accept it, because the check cards look exactly like a VISA or MC with the little symbol down in the corner. However the check card works the same as a debit card whereby funds come directly out of your bank account.

When some friends came down from Canada they had trouble using their debit cards because they needed to put in "chequing or savings" and it didn't have that option, therefore it told them "funds not available, or transaction cancelled" (or something like that - anyway they couldn't use their card)

Personally I hate the check cards because it is much easier for theft to occur. Example: In most stores down here they run your card through the machine, but instead of waiting to punch in your PIN, a receipt comes out that you sign. You don't have to punch in a PIN.
(My first experience with this was at the DS, and I stood there waiting for the key pad, the CM was waiting for me to sign.....anyway boy did I feel dumb!)
However, in grocery stores you do you own card sliding, plus PIN (nothing to sign) but this is where is does not give you the checking or savings option and therefore it won't work.
Just be aware, they refer to these check cards as debit cards but they work slightly different than in Canada.

Your card will work for cash withdrawls at most (not all) bank machines. Service charge for these are anywhere from $1 - $3US.

Hopefully someone can give you the answer as to whether your debit card will work at WDW.

Thanks for the information. I was just doing a search on this and unless something new has changed than I cannot use my debit card.

Everytime I'm in the U.S., I try to use my debit card and it has never worked in stores or resturant but I've never had a problem at a bank machine (real ones not those fake in the corner store, charge you extra type). Your bank will do the conversion and then sometimes there is a fee at the branch that's added but not at the machine. But it worked in Italy! Imagine that!

(Any room left in your van...for a Ptbo stow-away? lol):rolleyes:

Your debit card (bank card) will work in ABM machines that have the Interac symbol. Check with your own individual bank first though-Sometimes there are restrictions (that the bank can change/remove) to allow you to use your card out of Canada.

Also, RBC cards used anywhere other than Canada cannot have a PIN # that starts with zero. Also check with your Bank regarding maximum withdrawal amounts (they usually give you an automatic $400 or $500 maximum)-you can have this changed as well.

Do the debit cards give you a better exchange rate?

They charge you the "cash" buying rate which can be 2% higher and then they ding you with a service charge about $2.00
If you bought cash, there would be no service charge. If traveler checks, you have a better rate. It's still even a better rate if you charge it to a credit card. Which in most case is only 1% higher than the daily rate of exchange.

Yes, I use'd to work in a bank. ;)

You can't use your debit card to pay for things in a store (there is no such thing as Interac Direct Payment in stores) but you can use it to withdraw money from an ATM.

Thanks everyone.

MaMudduck I am trying to squeeze a tv into my van right now so iIthink another person is definetly out.

Also, watch your credit card exchange rate-we got a notice last week that our bank will now charge the rate in effect on the date of the transaction plus an extra 2%.

Originally posted by mom_rules
Also, watch your credit card exchange rate-we got a notice last week that our bank will now charge the rate in effect on the date of the transaction plus an extra 2%.

I've got to check that out this year. On my last trip, I didn't ask and I'm pretty sure I got charged 3-4% on top of the exchange rate on one of my credit cards :(

MaMudduck, thanks for the explanation :) I'm going to try and stick with travellers checks!

I have a U.S. dollars account ( they don't charge me any monthly service charges), if I deposit or make a withdrawal then I'm charged $0.55 for each transaction at the time.
I travel to the U.S. usually 2X a year ( unfortunatly not WDW), so any small $1 & $5 that are always left over, I just plunk then in my account. And because I have that account, I get U.S. money orders for free and no charges for traveller checks & I can just withdrawal U.S. cash like any other account.
Another great thing is when the exchange rates are really great, I "buy" cash ( with a transfer from my reg. account) then I'm not at the mercy of the bank rate when I leave on my trip.
It's also great if you get U.S. checks - you know from rebates when you buy stuff. I put it straight into the US account, no exchange diff. & it's FOUND vacation money.

BTW service charges at other banks may be different so check it out at your bank first.

I've found that Amex gives me the best exchage rate than other cards and no extra fees.

Hope this helps someone.
Wendy

Check with your bank but I believe that the out of country charge for using your debit will be apx. $6.00 per transaction. I would definitely avoid using the debit card.

Hmm... I've got to look into a US account. The last one I had took a dollar a month in service fees. I just didn't use it enough to make it seem like that dollar was worth it. :rolleyes: The US account that you have Wendy sounds much better :p I'll have to look into that!

I used my debit card at an ATM machine by a gas station and it wouldn't work. I tried it again at Epcot at one of their ATM machines and it worked. But it gave me money out of my account in US dollars.

that's all they put in the machine.
Was this recently? how much extra did your bank charge you?

They usually charge you the regular Interac service fee, your bank ABM fee and the current exchange rate on the date you made your transaction. For instance, if you took out $100, the transaction in your account would be $157 plus the service fees (assuming exchange is 1.57). In Europe they do the same, the machines dispense Euros, charge you the Euro exchange and I think it cost about $6.00 in total for both service fees per transaction-so if you are taking out cash make sure you limit the number of transactions, the fees really add up if you don't plan ahead!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter