Using Disney Visa

jcf

DIS Veteran
Anyone do an add-on with Disney Visa? All you get is 0% for 6 months?

I thought about using the Disney visa but I'm going to try the chase sapphire. Hoping it codes as travel to get 3% back on the purchase in points.

I thought about using the Disney visa but I'm going to try the chase sapphire. Hoping it codes as travel to get 3% back on the purchase in points.
It will. Unless Chase changed their policy since our purchase two weeks ago. Our add-on coded as travel and we received 3x points.

Do you then use the pay yourself back?
I can say if I were to use my Chase Sapphire Reserve to pay for a direct purchase, I'd likely keep the Ultimate Reward points to use for flights for an international vacation or to Hawaii in the future, as air redemptions can be one of the best values of Chase UR points.

Part of the reason I use my Disney Visa (aside from the 0% 6 month financing) is because the 2% back would go towards Dues or Annual Passes, so it is a virtuous Disney cycle. :)

It will. Unless Chase changed their policy since our purchase two weeks ago. Our add-on coded as travel and we received 3x points.
Do dues/MFs count as travel?

Do you then use the pay yourself back?
No. We are saving our points for a Tokyo Disneyland trip. If you use the points to pay yourself back, their value is greatly reduced. It is an option though.

For Example:
Economy round trip to Tokyo is about 70k points. The cash value of those points is $700. It makes more sense for us to collect the points.

Do dues/MFs count as travel?

To be honest, I don’t think that I have ever tried. I usually have gift cards. I’ll have to go give it a shot and report back. I think the dues from my most recent just posted.

No. We are saving our points for a Tokyo Disneyland trip. If you use the points to pay yourself back, their value is greatly reduced. It is an option though.

For Example:
Economy round trip to Tokyo is about 70k points. The cash value of those points is $700. It makes more sense for us to collect the points.
Oh, have you ever been?? Tokyo Disneyland is amazing. DisneySea has won our hearts as the most intricately detailed and themed Disney park we've been to (We've been to WDW, DL, Hong Kong Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland). The attention to detail is just incredible, and we could have spent our entire time there just looking at everything and taking it all in! My oldest son will hopefully be studying in Japan next summer, and I intend to go out to meet him at the end to travel, and you better believe I'm planning a couple of days at the parks again! :)

We have a few cards, including the Disney Visa Premier. We'll put about 1/3 on there for 0% financing 6 months. We'll put the rest of a new Chase Freedom Unlimited. It's only 1.5% cash back but new card promo includes 15 months no interest.

So I'd only suggest the Disney Premier if wanting the 0% financing offer or if one doesn't have a better reward card. If you don't have the Premier then I'd suggest passing in favor of the Freedom Unlimited, Freedom Flex, or another good rewards card with a nice intro promotion.

We have a few cards, including the Disney Visa Premier. We'll put about 1/3 on there for 0% financing 6 months. We'll put the rest of a new Chase Freedom Unlimited. It's only 1.5% cash back but new card promo includes 15 months no interest.

So I'd only suggest the Disney Premier if wanting the 0% financing offer or if one doesn't have a better reward card. If you don't have the Premier then I'd suggest passing in favor of the Freedom Unlimited, Freedom Flex, or another good rewards card with a nice intro promotion.
Second this. The 2% back plus 6 months free interest on the Disney Premier makes it definitely worth it, however.

Unless you’re using the Chase Unlimited or Flex Freedom to get Ultimate Reward points that you can transfer to a Sapphire or other premium card that allows you to transfer UR points to airline partners, I’d actually recommend putting it all on your Disney Premier, then at 6 months open a card with 15 or 18 month 0% financing for balance transfers then you’d get 21 to 24 months (2 years) of 0% interest. Citi Double Cash and Citi Diamond Preferred both offer 18 month 0% financing.

Before you apply for the Chase Freedom cards, though, be aware that Chase has a 5/24 rule. If you’ve opened ANY 5 credit cards in the last 24 months, you will be automatically denied.

Second this. The 2% back plus 6 months free interest on the Disney Premier makes it definitely worth it, however.

Unless you’re using the Chase Unlimited or Flex Freedom to get Ultimate Reward points that you can transfer to a Sapphire or other premium card that allows you to transfer UR points to airline partners, I’d actually recommend putting it all on your Disney Premier, then at 6 months open a card with 15 or 18 month 0% financing for balance transfers then you’d get 21 to 24 months (2 years) of 0% interest. Citi Double Cash and Citi Diamond Preferred both offer 18 month 0% financing.

Before you apply for the Chase Freedom cards, though, be aware that Chase has a 5/24 rule. If you’ve opened ANY 5 credit cards in the last 24 months, you will be automatically denied.

I could be wrong here but I do not believe the Chase Freedom cards currently have a balance transfer promotion. I believe they're 0% on only *new purchases* but have a 5% fee on balance transfer. I believe Citi Diamon may have 3% fee but then aforementioned 0% for 18 months.

With some careful planning one could buy and pay over 90 days, making last payment on a chase freedom, then transferring balance at 15 months to a new citi diamond, pay the 3% and take another 18 to pay off. That'd get about 36 months with only interest of 3% on balance transfer when opening the citi card.

That said, I wouldn't recommend purchasing if margins are so tight to need 36 months to pay off.

Been looking at other credit cards for best rewards for our direct dvc purchase. The best rewards I can still find on a direct dvc purchase with credit card is with the sapphire reserve. It's unlimited rewards at 3x points on travel purchases. And the ultimate rewards when redeemed for travel are worth 50% more. So if you use the sapphire reserve and book flights, rental cars or hotels through chase travel you are getting about 4.5% back on a direct dvc purchase. Plus you can transfer ultimate reward points to southwest and other partner travel rewards program.

So let me see if I have this right. I can use my non-Disney credit card to purchase add on points directly from DVC? Or do I have to use a Disney Chase card? I have a Citi Double Cash with no interest for a while and was thinking about adding on but if I can get around paying interest than I'm in.

So let me see if I have this right. I can use my non-Disney credit card to purchase add on points directly from DVC? Or do I have to use a Disney Chase card? I have a Citi Double Cash with no interest for a while and was thinking about adding on but if I can get around paying interest than I'm in.
You can use any credit card to purchase add-on points from Disney. What you need is a credit card that is offering 0% for new purchases. If you open a new CC and are within the introductory 0% offer (if they offer it), then you're good. If you're still in your Citi Double Cash no interest period, then you're also good - you'll pay 0% interest until the introductory period ends and get the 2% back in rewards (1% when you charge it and 1% when you pay it off).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!