Using DVC points elsewhere

The Lost Boy

Earning My Ears
We are considering buying into the DVC. My DW main concern is that she may like to visit other places rather than the land of the rising mickey.
I know you can use your DVC points to "buy" holidays elsewhere but how easy is this and what are peoples experiences ie availability and quality.
For info we are looking to purchase 300-325 points in BC
Thank you in advance,
Marcus:D

Hi Marcus,

I haven't so far done any trades to other locations, but it is something we'd like to do with our points one day.

The World Passport Collection uses the following number of points for one week in their 1-bedroom/2-bedroom trades:
Low Season - 124 / 207
Mid - 144 / 252
High - 160 / 270

The system used to be much more 'pot luck' with the points requirement never set out in black and white. It was a case of call and see what could be arranged via trade. Word has it that the set number of points way of doing the trade generally uses more points than in the past, but it may attract more members to try it as they know up-front what they'll be charged. On top of the points there is also a one-off trade charge of $75 (?) per vacation.

Hi Marcus, my fellow man of Kent :D
Just for "trading purposes" there are probably cheaper options than DVC. With the flexibility of the points system where you can bank and borrow points I would look at buying fewer points and continue to fund your "other vacations" as you currently do. If you only plan to go to Orlando once every two ( or even every three) years, if you're organised you should have no problem with getting by on a lot less points than you plan to buy. I rarely use DVC for a whole vacation's accommodation , mostly because I hate paying the high weekend cost for points. I'd rather use DVC as a "quality" part of a vacation and use cheaper accommodation for the stretches that I'm going to be park bashing. If you look at how you'd likely use your points and see if there is anyway to shave off expensive Friday and Saturday nights. For example if you usually fly to Fl on a Saturday night booking into a hotel at the airport will save you 25 points minimum ( if you're usually staying in a studio) many more if you prefer a larger unit. If you'd fly back on a Saturday then staying at one of the Universal Hotels and exploring their parks for a couple of days/nights will again save you 50 points or more. those relatively simple moves would save you $6,000 on your initial payment and $300 a year in dues ( almost enough to pay for the 3 nights accommodation at Universal).

P.S. Both Hilton Head and Vero are great beach destinations, it's worth checking them out if you're into DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter