Using DVC Points for ABD

50 years Too!

DIS Veteran
I'm wondering if the same "rules" apply for ABD as DCL.
I'll have 08 points to bank. If I make a reservation for a '10 trip, can I use those banked points also?
I know, I know, not a good use of my points, but I have too many!

Thanks, Deb

sometimes it isn't good to use points for cruises or adventures, but I had almost over 800 extra points to use that I received due to points being returned to me from DVC from someone who did not put points back into my account that they owed me, plus some 350 points that I received from cancelling the DVC cruise.
Quite a surprise and very wisely done.
But for whatever reason you use them for, is totally up to each individual.
It is better to use them than let them disappear. It is best to call MS and get a specific question answered than guess. is you are not sure.

I'll have 08 points to bank. If I make a reservation for a '10 trip, can I use those banked points also?

Thanks, Deb

Thanks, Deb

People always say that using DVC points for cruises or ABD is not a good use of points. I think you have to look at it a bit more closely. "Not good" as compared to what?

Do you get more value from your points at a DVC resort than you do on a cruise or ABD? Sure, the most value you'll ever get from DVC points is by using them at a DVC resort.

HOWEVER, is it more economical to pay for a cruise or ABD using DVC points than it is to pay with cash? Absolutely!

We purchased enough points at SSR to pay for one 7-night cruise a year (roughly). If you calculate what those points cost and what the cruises would cost, the DVC point cost equals about 5 cruises. So, after 5 years, we're cruising for free. Yes, you need to take maintenance fees into account, but it's still better than paying with cash. So, until there's a DVC on the cruise line, using DVC points is the cheapest way to cruise (if you know you're going to go on cruises regularly).

So, yes, go ahead and use your DVC points for ABD! You're still getting a good deal. Maybe not as much as you would at a DVC resort, but that's not the vacation you want to go on this time around. You're still saving money :)

. . . I heartily concur! We used points two years ago for an adventure and we're using them again for an adventure that starts in a little over a weeek! Our trip is costing us about $4000.00 instead of double and that's including the maintanance fee! Yes, we're planning on buying more as an investment toward our retirement travel. The largest portion of the expense will be up front when we're not living on a fixed income! No, it's not as good a value as the resorts, but it gets me to lots of places that I probably couldn't come up with the cash for! It is a matter or perspective. An investment advisor would say that we should invest the amount we pay for maintanence. Oh well.

How many points does an Adventure by Disney costs? Do you have to have so many points for every person going?

How many points does an Adventure by Disney costs? Do you have to have so many points for every person going?

The number of points needed will vary depending on which adventure you want to go on, the number of people, what time of year, and if you're able to get the early booking discount. If you look at a point chart, that's the number of points per person.

It will take a lot of points, don't get me wrong. But the trips cost a lot. The other thing that is recommended is to trade out DVC points and then use that money to pay for a cruise or ABD. We haven't tried that yet (just too busy right now to focus on it), but we'll probably do that in the future.

I traded out my DVC points for the Germany trip. Actually came out ahead. If you have done it previously and have no problem with trading out the points, that is the way to go. On our next trip, we are going to pay for one and points for another.

The number of points needed will vary depending on which adventure you want to go on, the number of people, what time of year, and if you're able to get the early booking discount. If you look at a point chart, that's the number of points per person.

It will take a lot of points, don't get me wrong. But the trips cost a lot. The other thing that is recommended is to trade out DVC points and then use that money to pay for a cruise or ABD. We haven't tried that yet (just too busy right now to focus on it), but we'll probably do that in the future.

We are looking at Viva Italia for 2010. Wow, it takes a lot of points! We would only have enough points for one of us. Do most people just pay OOP for the difference? Does the perk of having a guide and planned meals and itinerary make it worth the points/cash? I would love to hear what yall think! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter