Using dvc points on Disney Cruise

yetsai

Earning My Ears
We bought direct last time now thinking about adding more points or buying resale this time. I understand booking Disney Cruise Line isn't the best use of points but don't understand why almost everyone is suggesting against it.

Reading the point charts for 2020 Alaska Cruise, I see 223-235 points for 6/1 Disney Wonder standard inside stateroom. A search in disney cruise line website reveals cash cost of $4434. That's a per point cost of $19.88-$$18.86. An ocean view room for the same cruise runs $17.37-$14.13. They are all higher than renting out the points, which is around $13.5 per point. So, I'm confused at why people can rent out points and buy cash.

What am I missing? Is it because there is a cheaper way to buy Disney cruises than using their website?

For Aulani, member dues is $8.33. 17-8.33=8.67. A point sells at $188 direct, so 188/8.67=21.68. If we can use all the points in ways better or equal to cruise for 21.68 years, it's good to own. Does the math relatively make sense? I know member dues will increase yoy but so does per point cost for cash purchase.

We bought direct last time now thinking about adding more points or buying resale this time. I understand booking Disney Cruise Line isn't the best use of points but don't understand why almost everyone is suggesting against it.

Reading the point charts for 2020 Alaska Cruise, I see 223-235 points for 6/1 Disney Wonder standard inside stateroom. A search in disney cruise line website reveals cash cost of $4434. That's a per point cost of $19.88-$$18.86. An ocean view room for the same cruise runs $17.37-$14.13. They are all higher than renting out the points, which is around $13.5 per point. So, I'm confused at why people can rent out points and buy cash.

What am I missing? Is it because there is a cheaper way to buy Disney cruises than using their website?

For Aulani, member dues is $8.33. 17-8.33=8.67. A point sells at $188 direct, so 188/8.67=21.68. If we can use all the points in ways better or equal to cruise for 21.68 years, it's good to own. Does the math relatively make sense? I know member dues will increase yoy but so does per point cost for cash purchase.

When you're on the Disney Cruise website, the $4434 is for 2 adults. The 223-235 points (it's actually 259-270, no?) is "per person based on double occupancy". So you actually have to double the points to make an accurate calculation.

Hint: It's not worth it. :)

I could be wrong here but Disney typically prices their cruises based on double occupancy but the price per point is per person.

If so, you need twice as many points to make an apples to apples comparison.

I could be wrong here but Disney typically prices their cruises based on double occupancy but the price per point is per person.

If so, you need twice as many points to make an apples to apples comparison.
You are correct, not wrong.

OP, common rookie error. For a party of two, you have to double the points. That brings down your numbers rapidly.

It’s fine, we were all new once. I asked some doozies when I was new.

And I have no idea why there are excel lines in this post or how to remove them.

And you have to add in the $95 fee to book with points.

That’s what I’m missing. Thank you all for pointing out. At least next newbie can find out quickly 🙂

I am not 100% positive, but I believe that someone can pay cash for one guest and points for another. I realize it is still more cost effective to rent out points and pay all cash, but renting out points does take work and is off a risk. Some people don't want to deal with it.

So, again, if you have points that you would use instead of using them that year for DVC and don't see a big benefit to bank them for future years, then sometimes it makes sense. Still not getting the best value for the points, but your cash out lay then does become less if you are only paying for one person cash.

I am not 100% positive, but I believe that someone can pay cash for one guest and points for another. I realize it is still more cost effective to rent out points and pay all cash, but renting out points does take work and is off a risk. Some people don't want to deal with it.

So, again, if you have points that you would use instead of using them that year for DVC and don't see a big benefit to bank them for future years, then sometimes it makes sense. Still not getting the best value for the points, but your cash out lay then does become less if you are only paying for one person cash.
You can pay cash for some of the guests, but you pay for at least the first adult with points. And you pay the DVC cash price, not the DCL cash price.

David's has a swap program that is a rental program for a cruise. Can use resale points for it as well, agency insulates the rental risk, and it can be a pretty effective way to trade.

When you use a combination of points and cash, the cash portion must be paid in full at time of booking.

Know the cancellation policy too.

David's has a swap program that is a rental program for a cruise. Can use resale points for it as well, agency insulates the rental risk, and it can be a pretty effective way to trade.
I agree, if you are not experienced as an Owner who rents, then consider contacting Davids and sign up for their cruise swap program. You give them the points for the cruise. They rent them out, pay for your cruise and generally give you some money back, too. Talk to them.

I agree, if you are not experienced as an Owner who rents, then consider contacting Davids and sign up for their cruise swap program. You give them the points for the cruise. They rent them out, pay for your cruise and generally give you some money back, too. Talk to them.
AND you can do it with resale points, which also helps with the cost effectiveness.

AND you can do it with resale points, which also helps with the cost effectiveness.

Just curious, Is it simply that instead of getting paid in all cash, he acts as your travel agent to get cruise booked?

Is the process for renting out your points the same?Agree, get the emails, jump on trying to get it booked and if you do, then he will get it booked?

I haven’t looked into it, but I could see doing this down the road if my family wants to cruise...well, at least if my one DD who is a CM doesn’t come since she can get discounted rooms if she travels with us.

Just curious, Is it simply that instead of getting paid in all cash, he acts as your travel agent to get cruise booked?

Is the process for renting out your points the same?Agree, get the emails, jump on trying to get it booked and if you do, then he will get it booked?

I haven’t looked into it, but I could see doing this down the road if my family wants to cruise...well, at least if my one DD who is a CM doesn’t come since she can get discounted rooms if she travels with us.

Yeah, basically: https://dvcrequest.com/dvc-owners/dvc-cruise-swap-program

Because this is a swap it also isn't subject to being treated as income, I believe, although I would certainly double check with a personal tax advisor and not file based on my say-so.

In addition to the reservation fee and the large amount of points required, if you book on cash through a travel agency, you can get on board credit to cover additional costs of the cruise, bringing the cash cost down even further.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter