>> Using Pools at Other Resorts: FAQ & Questions <<

Lynne M

DIS Veteran
Note: the previous version of this thread has been made non-sticky and closed; it will remain on the board for reference if needed.

All discussion of using pools at other resorts (also known as pool-hopping) will be kept in this thread. Any new threads posted on the Resorts board on this topic will be merged into this thread, or closed with a note to see this thread. If you have a question that’s not answered in the FAQ, or if you see information that needs to be updated or clarified, please post here.

Here are the ground rules for discussion in this thread:

1. No debate on Disney’s rules, which can be found in the FAQ below. If you don’t like the rules, by all means, take it up with Disney, but endless discussion and debate on this board isn’t going to change the rules.

2. No discussion of how to get around the rules. If you pool-hop on every trip, that’s your choice, but please don’t post about it here.

3. No fighting, rudeness, name-calling, sarcasm or accusations. No flaming of anyone, for any reason.

4. No off-topic posts. Posts not related to use of pools at resorts other than your own will be deleted.

5. If you see a post that doesn’t abide by these ground rules, use the Report link (under the post) to alert the moderators, and we’ll take action where necessary. Don’t get drawn into fights with other posters.

Posts that don’t abide by the ground rules will be deleted, and warnings or infractions may be issued.

We appreciate your support in making this thread a place where useful information can be shared.

Thanks,
Lynne M and the DISboards staff

Using Pools at Other Resorts: Frequently Asked Questions

The pool at my resort is just OK, but wow, the pools at those deluxe resorts look great. Will they let me swim there?

Disney’s policy is that you may only use a resort’s pool if you’re a registered guest of that resort, with a few exceptions described below.
This policy is posted on signs in each resort’s pool area.

Bummer. But how will they know I'm not staying at that hotel?

Some resort pools are gated, and you will need to scan your magic band to get into the pool area. Or you might be asked to show a lifeguard your magic band.
You may be asked to show just one magic band for your party, or everyone mighthave to produce a band (including kids).

But why does Disney care if I take the monorail over to the Polynesian and use that fancy volcano pool? One extra person won't make a difference.

It’s true, one extra person won’t matter. But believe me, lots of people want to use that fancy volcano pool, and if they let non-guests swim there, it’s going to get very crowded, very quickly. There are something like 30,000 resort rooms on Disney property, and if even 50 of those people decide to swim at the Poly at the same time, it won’t be fun for anyone, let alone the people who paid to stay there. The pools are sized for the number of guests at that resort, and don’t have excess capacity for visitors.

I'm staying at a resort that shares facilities with another resort. Can I use the pools there, too?

In most cases, yes.

Guests at the All-Star resorts may use any pool at any of the All-Star resorts (Music, Sports, Movies).

Guests at Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter may use any pool at either resort.

Guests at Wilderness Lodge and the Villas at Wilderness Lodge can use both pools.

Guests at Boardwalk Villas and the Boardwalk Inn can use any pool at either resort.

Guests at the Yacht Club, Beach Club, or Beach Club Villas may use any pool in this resort complex.

Guests at Animal Kingdom Lodge's Jambo House and Kidani Village may use the pools at both buildings.

There's one exception: Guests at Bay Lake Towers may use the pools at BLT and the Contemporary Resort. But, CR guests may not use the pool at BLT. It's gated, and a BLT magic band is required to open the gate.

I'm a DVC member. Is it true that I'm allowed to pool hop?

Yes, with some restrictions. Currently, DVC members staying at a DVC resort on points can ‘hop’ to the pools at any Disney-owned resort, except YC/BC/BCV, AKV, Poly, BLT, and AoA. If the pool is at capacity, you may be denied admittance or asked to leave. Pool hopping is not permitted during certain blackout dates, usually around busy periods. Check the DVC member site for up-to-date information on blackout dates and other restrictions. Bring your blue DVC member card in case you are asked to show proof of membership.

Some of my family/friends are staying at a different resort, or offsite. Can they come to my resort and swim with my family?

Possibly. Disney policy states that only registered resort guests may use the pool, but IF the pool isn't too crowded, and IF you ask, the lifeguards have been known to make exceptions for visiting family and friends.
Of course, the fewer guests you want to bring into the pool area, the more likely the lifeguards will say 'yes'. If you want grandma and grandpa to join you, it probably won't be a problem. If you show up with 4 uncles, 3 aunts, and 14 assorted cousins.....well, expect the lifeguards to suggest you visit a water park instead.
cid:353999479f5c080f72cb0840ebcd97c1

Do ask; it's much better to have the lifeguard's permission ahead of time than to subject your family and/or friends to the embarrassment of being asked to leave.

Be aware that the lifeguards have final say in the matter. If the lifeguards feel that there are an unsafe number of people in the pool area, it's not going to matter if the front desk or the nice lady on the phone at Reservations said you could have guests.

The main pool at my resort is closed for refurbishment. Can I use another resort's pool?

Don’t worry, you won’t be left without access to a pool. Most resorts have multiple pools, and in some cases, your resort will make arrangements for you to use the pool at a nearby resort. Guests are usually contacted by mail prior to their stay if the main pool will be closed, and that letter will describe any alternate pool arrangements. If you have any questions, ask at the Guest Services desk when you arrive at your resort.

Didn't Disney used to allow pool-hopping? What happened?

Yes, way back in the day when there were only a few resorts on property, guests were allowed to use the pools at any resort, and it all worked out fine. Essentially, all of the resort pools were equally nice, so there was no reason for any resort’s pool to be overrun with visitors. As time went on, Disney created multiple tiers of resorts, and suddenly there were value resorts with very basic pools, moderate resorts with slightly nicer pools, and deluxe resorts with super-fancy pools. The system was out of balance….everyone wanted to go to the deluxe pools. No one was beating a path to the pools at the values. So, no more pool-hopping; everyone swims at their own resort’s pools.

My friend just stayed at WDW and said he went to a different resort pool every day and nobody stopped him. How come you're saying I can't do that?

As with most Disney rules, enforcement is spotty. Some resorts are very strict about access to their pools, some not so much.

Enforcement is most strict at the gated pools, such as those at YC/BC/BCV (Stormalong Bay), AoA, and BLT. You must scan your magic band to enter the pool area.

Deluxe resorts that are close to the theme parks are also more likely to check magic bands, since day guests are the parks are sometimes tempted to pop over for a swim.

Moderates and values are less strict about pool use, since their pools aren’t as attractive to hoppers as the deluxe resort pools. There are occasional reports of increased enforcement after a poll gets an upgrade/refurb.

The bottom line: If you try to use another resort’s pool, you may be asked to leave. Or not. Disney’s policy is clear; the choice is yours. As Jiminy Cricket says, “Let your conscience be your guide."

OK, OK, so I can't pool-hop. But the kids really want to use a pool with a cool slide, and my resort's pool doesn't have one. What can I do?

There are two terrific water parks at Walt Disney World: Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. Both offer a wide variety of slides and other attractions for all ages.

My sister and I used to pool hop back in the day to the beach club sand bottom pool. We'd stay in that pool for hours!!!! One day I'll get back there as an actual guest, but for now it's value pools for us. and hey, as long as I'm in Disney I couldn't be happier!!

Can you only use the pool during the checkin/check out hours? I will get there early on Monday. Will I be allowed to hang out by the pool while waiting for my room?

Can you only use the pool during the checkin/check out hours? I will get there early on Monday. Will I be allowed to hang out by the pool while waiting for my room?
Once you check into your resort (and you don't need to wait until 3 or 4PM depending on your reservation), you should be able to use the pool. You should be able to use the pool until midnight of the day you check out, but the pool will probably be closed before midnight.

I love getting to stay at Beach Club for this very reason . . . and easy access to EPCOT

And a year ago, they were checking MAGIC BANDS

I don't see POP listed so can we only use POP pools or do they share w/ AoA?

Pop and AoA aren't sister resorts, so you would only be able to use the pools at Pop. AoA's pool is gated and can only be accessed with an AoA magic band.

Awesome I was just wondering about this. Also the resorts that have beaches, are they able to be used for swimming? Or just for looks?

Awesome I was just wondering about this. Also the resorts that have beaches, are they able to be used for swimming? Or just for looks?
No, none of the water ways at WDW have swimming or wading allowed. Fresh water lakes in Florida can often have the brain eating amoeba present in the water which has proved deadly in most cases. Also, you'll find alligators and other creatures in the lakes. So no swimming.

I hope this question is ok to ask:

We are staying at BLT and have friends staying at BC. I know we cannot use each other's pools. But is there a pool in our general area that we'd be able to meet them at?
I'm just unsure if there are resort pools open to guests of other resorts. I don't want to break or bend any rules.
Thank you!

We are staying at BLT and have friends staying at BC. I know we cannot use each other's pools. But is there a pool in our general area that we'd be able to meet them at?
I'm just unsure if there are resort pools open to guests of other resorts. I don't want to break or bend any rules.
Thank you!
The only places you and your friends will be able to swim together at are Disney's two waterparks...Blizzard Beach & Typhoon Lagoon. I highly recommend either of them...combined, I've been to both over a dozen times. Both are wonderful!

Thank you!
If you are a DVC owner staying at BLT on a DVC reservation and your friend is also a DVC owner staying at BCV on a DVC reservation, even then, neither of you can go to the other pool. Both BLT and Stormalong Bay pools are not open for pool hopping. Your friends could join you at the CR pool, but not the BLT pool. I think GF pools are still open for pool hopping if both of you are DVC members staying on a DVC reservation.

But if neither of you are DVC owners staying on a DVC reservation, you are both limited to your own pool and that is all you are entitled to. Only DVC owners staying on a DVC reservation are entitled to some pool hopping, but not all pools. Even then, pool hopping is sometimes blacked out for owners.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts